Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Comet 1/8 scale roundnose hydro  (Read 15391 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
New Comet 1/8 scale roundnose hydro
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:28:20 am »

Hi heres the second boat out of my moulds,did this one in yellow and red,i just pulled the parts this morning gave them a  quick wipe and took some pics.Both parts need joining then ill compound and pollish the boat.Before i join the deck ill be installing some bulkheads and stiffeners and engine rails for zenoah mounts.Still have the cowl to make which im doing today.Let me know what you guys think.
Mart

mook

Re: New Comet 1/8 scale roundnose hydro
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:08:12 pm »

I like it if that means anything  O0
I really like the look of these boats I might have to get one one day  :-))

andyn

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:25:33 pm »

Looks very nice, who's going to try one with one of these?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »

Andy not me im not a nitro man but your welcome to have a go,this one will get a full mod zenoah unless someone makes me an offer i cant refuse Malc  ok2 lol.Just finnished glassing the cowl so i hope to have a pic of that in the next day or so.Thanks for the compliments guys much appreciated.Running weight of the finnished hulls with a rcmk and fuel is arround 15 1/2 lb or so.She runs very stable even in chop and turns like shes on rails,im hoping to sell a few and offer a turn fin with each one.
Mart
Andy how about one of these,remove part of the cowl maybe lol

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:52:08 pm »

something like this lol

mook

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:58:15 pm »

I would want at least a turbo V12  O0

andyn

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:44:38 pm »

Right well that engine's £600 with pipes and headers, plus radio kit, plus running gear, plus hull in the first place....

Can we have a whip round?

Ramon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »

Nice work Mart :-)), the V8 should do nicely! keep the pics coming on the build up. Is this a moulding of your Rocket?

Lovely engine Andy, is it one of those made from unobtanium? ;)

andyn

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:17:09 pm »

They're made by my favorite engine producers, the Russians. Provided you can get hold of Paul Firmin, you can get hold of the engine.

http://www.precision-in-perfection.co.uk/engprice.htm

Fancy a go at it do we Ramon? Well volunteered :-))

Just work out how you're going to get two 90 sized pipes in it, and how you're going to keep it on this planet...

Ramon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:33:54 pm »

No, don't think so Andy

As I say - unobtanium! and b-----y unaffordable I would guess. When I really began to get into this I soon found the PIP site but gave up in the end trying to contact them. Guess they aren't that interested in selling! Frustrating till you get told the score. Shame really but simply 'can't be dealing with it' I'm afraid, life's too short and there are other alternatives.

That said, Russian engines? Brilliant. Ran several and still have three 'STALKER' motors. An ST-40 from the initial batch of twelve and a 55 and 60. Made in the Ukraine but specifically for control line aerobatic models they are just superb. Piston and liner fit was extraodinary.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 10:34:26 pm »

Hi Ramon no its my own build,i built it from scratch but i did use the Rocket as its inspiration.I borrowed the sponson angles and the ride pads for this one with Joe at zipps permision,i just scaled them up accordingly.Then i just worked out how long she was going to be and the rest was trial and error till i got the shape and size i wanted.I made templates in card to test fit everything till i found what looked right.Then i cut things out in plywood and made a plug for my moulds.The Comet as i call her is 50" long compaired to the rocket whos 46" shes also 1 1/2" wider and a bit higher too.The tunnel is wider on mine too,makes her very stable but still fast.The red one in the vid was the very first one and i sent it with motor and hardware fitted as he wanted me to set it up for him so i ballanced things and set the strut depth same as the rockett and according to Wayne she didnt need any trimming at all she ran straight and true first time out which was a relief.The left sponson is bigger than the right,ther ride surface is 1/4" wider as are the ride pads this is to help right turns .I was so impressed with how well the rockett runs i asked permision to incorporate that into mine.That said she tracks straight too without any corrections once setup,def the best handling boat ive ever had by far.Fast stable and fun what more could i ask for   ;).So cool how these things slide round the turns,they look so real.I found the rocket a joy to build,has to be the simplest kit ever,you can build it in a week or two and it helped when i came to building the plug for this one .
Mart

andyn

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:54 pm »

***Moderated***   I'm not saying any more on the matter or I'll get wrist-slapped...

Views and opinions expressed by members do not necessarily reflect the views of Model Boat Mayhem or the site owner.
Forum Members are expected to exercise good manners and fair comment when posting and to avoid making statements which
may be seen as unfair, objectionable or unsubstantiated criticism of other parties.

Martin it looks superb mate, I'm hoping to make BillD203 a circuit racer as part of my college engineering course, so I'll have to come to you for tips on moulding :-))

Where's the usual video of it running?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:24 pm »

Tut tut Andy lol,i could tell a few storys about someone too lol.Anyway dam i forgot the vid lol,figured you had seen it before but here it is the maiden,unfortunatley he lost his camera woman so no new ones best not get into that or ill get slapped too lol  %).Circuit racer sounds like a good plan mate,ive been thinking along those lines too hmmm lol.
Mart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJP0PrWkxs

andyn

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »

I'm thinking of building a Sigma (ish) but a few inches longer, with a deeper V at the front and much shallower at the back, to make it kind of multi like. Also make the top a bit sharper and more streamlined. So it will end up like a bit like a combo of the Sigma and an Ikarus (which is basically a delta force, shhh...)

Going very well there, not a hydro man myself (well outriggers yes), but it does go very well :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:28 am »

You should start a  thread on the subject im sure you will get some good input ?.Im glad you liked the vid that was only its first days running,i think this hulls more than capable of high 60s with the right setup maybe more.Ill post some pics tonight of the cowl .
Mart

andyn

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 02:50:00 pm »

How about making one from Carbokevlar? If you could make it light enough it would be like the proverbial excrement off a chrome shovel. Would only need one or two layers too if it's not racing, so would be very light. It should easily be capable of high 60's yes, is it the tuned RCMK or the standard one? Rear exhaust I'm guessing?

Looks like I did get wrist slapped {-)

Ramon

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:42 pm »

Quite right too Andy you naughty boy ok2

Purely as a matter of interest you understand but what is the boat in the lower pic? It's size and power unit and who sells it. Just for interest that is.....

It does look a mean machine.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:01 pm »

Hi mate no plans as yet to make epoxy hulls,carbon or otherwise but maybe in the future.The red one has a stock rcmk, mine will have a full modded zenoah to start with then we will see about a modded rcmk.I use a side exhaust these boats are huge no need for rear exhaust.heres a pic of the red one with the rcmk.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 07:29:02 pm »

Purely as a matter of interest you understand but what is the boat in the lower pic? It's size and power unit and who sells it. Just for interest that is.....

It's a Prestwich Ikarus, which is basically a copy of a Delta Force. For racing in FSR-V. Designed for a geared 3.5 but I'm running a straight drive Russian 7.5. Is a nice bit of kit, about 60% of the people in FSR-V 3.5 run an Ikarus.

Here's mine (an earlier one than the current model):

Oh and get saving, they start at £250 for the Glass Fibre one, and £350 for the Carbon Fibre :-)

brodjack

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »

That looks mean Andyn,very sleek.Like the carbon one...
Brod..

andyn

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 09:11:27 pm »

As I say, Boat £350, Engine about £300, Radio £200, Gearbox £50, Hardware £50, Fuel Tank £50, Fuel £30 a gallon...

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:07 pm »

Right enough about those ugly and i mean butt ugly multi hulls,this thread is about my scale hydro which is a thing of beauty  O0.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 12:02:22 am »

A multi hull is a thing of elegance and beauty O0 ;)

When's one of these getting a proper engine then? Wheeeeeeeeeee......

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 11:55:33 am »

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder then  ok2.Just wanna try and keep the thread on topic no offense mate.The boat should be up and running in a few weeks if i can find the time to fit her out between other builds.Just need to source a new pipe system some new mounts and im good to go as i have all the hardware i need here.
Mart

ids987

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 12:49:18 pm »

Just in case anyone's a) Even thinking about it, and b) Able to get hold of one, please don't go near the A-180 with a bargepole. Not unless you just want an interesting engine to look at anyway.

It's a Prestwich Ikarus, which is basically a copy of a Delta Force.

Andy, The Ikarus is a multi (FSR-V) boat. The Delta Forces are circuit racing (eg FSR-O) boats. The hulls are completely different.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.