Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Comet 1/8 scale roundnose hydro  (Read 15393 times)

andyn

Re: New Comet 1/8 scale roundnose hydro
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 02:23:40 pm »

There is apparently a multi called the Delta Force, Greg was saying about the Ikarus being a copy of it on Sunday.

The A-180's do like to break a bit I think yes, but when they're running properly (for when they're running anyway) they're good engines. Of course there's no class for them anywhere...

Can't wait to see this thing go with the tuned motor in it :-))

ids987

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 03:00:22 pm »

There is apparently a multi called the Delta Force, Greg was saying about the Ikarus being a copy of it on Sunday.

I'm not aware of a Delta Force multi, but it would be interesting if there is one. I think there is probably some confusion between the Ikarus and the FSRO boats.

The A-180's do like to break a bit I think yes, but when they're running properly (for when they're running anyway) they're good engines. Of course there's no class for them anywhere...

Apart from breakages, various owner / users reported a multitude of other problems as well. The crankshaft is / was two crankshafts inadequately fixed together, and ultimately (and generally quite quickly), ending up as two crankshafts again. They reportedly suffered serious air / pressure leaks from the crankcase, inadequate induction, and even used wooden dowels painted silver as crankshaft plugs. I trawled various sites a while back, and couldn't find anyone with a good word to say about them. Of course, all these things may have been sorted out, but I think it was more of a concept engine than anything else, so they probably just stopped making it. Very hard to get any meaningful info on these engines.
The A-180 would be legal in OMRA "C" class (up to 50cc), but the equivalent multi / FSR-V class is size limited to 20cc.

andyn

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 03:21:07 pm »

You should put a revised one in the Maka then Ian {-) O0

ids987

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »

You should put a revised one in the Maka then Ian {-) O0

They may just deserve each other. Wish I'd chosen any one of the other hulls I was considering at the time.

ids987

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 04:24:40 pm »

Mart,

Sorry for biting, and replying to the off topic posts in the thread.
Please post some more on your hydro - to get us back on track.
Looking good. Will be good to see some running videos.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 04:28:36 pm »

If i was ever to try an inline motor i think id go with a zenoah but id need a bigger boat for that power me thinks.It has been done ive seen one in Germany with an inline but i cant remember what motor it was but i dont think it was a zen.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 04:32:11 pm »

Mart,

Sorry for biting, and replying to the off topic posts in the thread.
Please post some more on your hydro - to get us back on track.
Looking good. Will be good to see some running videos.

No worries mate i was just having a playfull pop at our Andy  ok2,heres a pic with the cowl on i just need to tidy her up and a bit of wet sanding to smooth it out,my fault the plug wasnt as smooth as id hoped .Might redo it or try and smooth out the mould more to save some work when i get time but for now its ok they come out pretty decent.I also added a pic of what the lightening strike will look like on the deck.Just ignore the masking tape holding things together  %).
Mart

andyn

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 04:39:34 pm »

{-)

So what's the RRP of these things then? ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 04:50:25 pm »

Can't wait to see this thing go with the tuned motor in it :-))
Andy me too im hoping its as good as the rockett but time will tell,be interesting to see how she compare's with the same or similar setup.Only change ill make is a quieter pipe.Oh and if you ever do decide to mould anything let me know ill try and give you a few pointers and warn you about the pitfalls,belive me its a learning curve doing it but can be rewarding seeing something come out of a mould you made yourself.I picked lots of guys brains before i attempted it and i made mistakes along the way but i got there in the end.My background is in wood not glass but ive learnt so much from the forums and by talking to guys who know what theyre doing.Im sure you will do a  good job if you do go ahead  :-)).By the way if your into riggers i can hook you up with some plans for a big one for zen or big nitro pm me for details.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 05:01:42 pm »

{-)

So what's the RRP of these things then? ;)

Andy i put an add up for my boats offering to build em to order prices are on there,this is an introductory price for the hydro as im not really sure what to ask for them.Seeing as the cheapest ive seen in the uk for sale is well over 300 quid for a roundnose  i think mine are too cheap lol.While i dont claim them to be perfect the quallity is pretty good and so far havent had any complaints  on my hulls the vees anyway , ive only built one hydro to date but he likes it.As im not really a buisness i cant charge top dollar but i think im still too cheap lol.
Mart

ids987

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 05:15:22 pm »

Just found the link to the vid. Looking good. I take it that was no.1 from the same mould ?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 05:51:08 pm »

Just found the link to the vid. Looking good. I take it that was no.1 from the same mould ?
Hi yea that was the first one on its first days running not quite up to speed but pretty good all the same,i think hes had problems finding a good prop for the rcmk as it doesnt seem to like the same ones as the zenoahs i think best speed so far was arround 50 mph ,im thinking the right prop should get him much faster although he has tried a few.I was told by Scott Schneider to go smaller as they like to rev high and dont have the grunt of a good modded zenoah,ill need to find out what props hes tried and see what Scott suggests to try for him.He did say though that modded rcmk's will eat any zenoah,time will tell i supose .I just spoke to Wayne who has the first one he said he crashed it the other day but its repaired now but he lost his flex and prop etc,bust the motor mount rubbers.Im waiting to hear back what hull damage there was and how well she held up ,supose thats the test of its strength a good crash  :o.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 12:33:00 pm »

Hi guys heres a quick update,managed to get the top compounded and polished up,and i installed the decals as i was too impatient and wanted to see how she looked.I'm visiting my parents tomorrow so thought id take her along,haven't joined the top yet but all the wooden frames are in apart from two in the sponsons that have to wait till ive glassed the seam on the inside.Hope you like her so far,still need to add details to the cowl like dummy exhausts and some small sponsor type decals and a dashboard ,steering wheel etc.Ill post a cpl of pics of the inside when ive charged the camera again.The cowl will have cooling slots cut into the front and the scoope opened up a tad too and ill install stainless mesh on the inside,should look cool.
Mart

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 01:15:33 pm »

Very cool !  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »

Thanks Martin shes coming along  ok2,cant wait to get this thing on the water i think shes gonna be a screamer  ;).heres a few more pics.I just need to round off the corners of the hatch opening but all rails and supports are installed.
Mart

mook

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:03 pm »

The more I see the more I like it, now how about a test drive  O0  {-)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »

The more I see the more I like it, now how about a test drive  O0  {-)

Lol once shes finnished your welcome to come test drive it  ok2,im now searching for a dummy  v 8 so i can install one into the cowl watch this space  ;) BLING BLING lol.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 04:54:56 pm »

What size does this dummy V8 need to be? I'll have a look for ya :-))

Ramon

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 06:59:54 pm »

Hi Mart, this is starting to really look like 'the business'  :-)) :-))- love the red and the decals look good too. When do you start fitting it out?

Don't know if you tried the link on the AvL thread from Mr Zippy - some good looking T'Boats but alas all leccy powered!!!

Keep up that good work and keep us up to date with the pics.

regards - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 10:41:01 pm »

I have actually seen one in the states pitty i cant get one over here?.Its a hemi motor from a dragster ive got a pic of one a guy used in his zippkits it looks awesome.Its 1/6 scale but 1/8 would work too.
Mart
What size does this dummy V8 need to be? I'll have a look for ya :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2009, 10:46:38 pm »

Hi Mart, this is starting to really look like 'the business'  :-)) :-))- love the red and the decals look good too. When do you start fitting it out?

Don't know if you tried the link on the AvL thread from Mr Zippy - some good looking T'Boats but alas all leccy powered!!!

Keep up that good work and keep us up to date with the pics.

regards - Ramon
Hi mate thanks i think ill start fittine her out in a cpl of weeks,i need to test some things out on the zippkits first .Ill try and get some numbers then ill strip the motor out and fit it in this one so i can compair the two etc.Ill use the same pipe and prop see what happens for now.Not sure if the dummy v 8 will fit because of the zenoah underneath but if it will it would be cool.Maybe i can move it arround see where it will fit,if not ill try some dummy pipes instead..
Mart

andyn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 01:10:44 am »

Thanks Andy but its not the one i want ,i want the one like in the pic i posted.Might need to order one from the states by the looks unless you know any other places .I apreciate you taking the time to look though  :-)).
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 08:25:12 am »

Visited my parents yesterday and took a cpl of the boats to show them as they havent seen any of them before as my mum doesnt like to drive the distance nowadays.While there i took a few nice pics on the lawn and one of the Comet alongside the vee i now call the Sea Dancer.When we were there my dad told me of a nice new lake near to him,wow its ideal,no fish in it because the water is too acid so it will be a cpl of years before its stocked and the owner says we can use it anytime  :-)).
Mart
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.