Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sutcliffe Gallery  (Read 1548 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
The Sutcliffe Gallery
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:56:29 am »

On a recent trip to Whitby we went into an attractive looking picture gallery and had a good look around.  I was convinced for a while that a lot of the pictures were modern composites or had been photoshopped from current pictures because the quality was too good.

I was amazed to learn that they were all actually taken between 1875 and 1910.  Have a look through the ships section, there is something there for every one with an interest in boats and ships and the pictures are stunning.

Although they look a bit expensive initially when you see the actual prints the quality of them is quite amazing and the composition, lighting and atmosphere are superb.

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: The Sutcliffe Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:44:41 pm »

Hi Bunkerbarge,

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe was his full name- he is well known in Whitby as many of the descendants still live in Whitby- a couple of books were published about 5/6  years ago that had on the left page the picture as Sutcliffe took them and on the right page the same picture today- some with the Great Great Great granddaughters in and such- a fascinating book for those interested in the history of that particular bit of the northeast- something close to my heart as it's my hometown.

Sutcliffe is regarded generally as one of the first pioneers of photography, not just of still lives- which were his business- but the fact he saw pictures as a way of recording the way of life for hundreds of people- this wasn't recognised by his contemporaries, and it is only in the past few decades that the true value of them has come to light- some are still being discovered to this day- he took hundreds- only the most poignant- and profitable- pictures are in print, many more can be seen in the Whitby museum, or they used to be, I havn't been in for a few years.

My favourite is the harbour and the old wharfe next to the station- now the harbour carpark- looking over the harbour to the abbey- there are pictures with more happening- but from an artists and a historians and a photographical point of view it just has SO much in it! Compare with almost the same picture today- the 90Deg. cobbles near the flower tub marks the old quayside in Sutcliffe's day.

Greg

Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:33 am »

In the shop there are a number of "before and after" pairs, all of which are quite amazing.

From my own interest point of view I love the harbour shots but I was also very surprises at the pictures of the local people.  He had all the eye for lighting and composition of a modern photographer and the ability to capture the character of the subject.  One in particular made me very sad as it was of a particularly pretty young local girl.  It was such an impact to see her you couldn't imagine that she had now had her life and was no longer with us.

I intend buying a couple of his pictures but it's going to take forever to decide which ones!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »

Hi Bunkerbarge,

This is the book I was talking about- well worth buying- you may have seen it in the shop. To say it's interesting doesn't do it justice, and from what you said about the picture of the young lass (no 'girls' in Whitby) you would find it quite moving to- an incite into the people and their livelihoods at a time the town was at it's peak- and how it is now, but is it better...?

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/photo_3253506.html

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:43:50 am »

Thanks for that Greg, I had already decided to buy a copy of the book when I buy a couple of prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.