Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Dynamo/ Generator  (Read 10820 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: DIY Dynamo/ Generator
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:37 pm »

He wants to run it in his steam tug Ghostie.

Sheerline, you repaired a loco for the great Bob Symes !!?!?!  :o :o :o :o
It's a great honour to have you on this forum.

I've got pictures of that loco and the one I really like his Hymek with working diesel / hydraulic transmission... I think he used a 'gun mount actuator' for the pump if memory serves.....  I'll dig it out if anyone's interested.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

787Eng

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »

A product already exists for model airplanes, you all might like to take a look at this link.
Its made by a well respected supplier of model airplane products. :-))

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/GenesysMainFrame.htm

Regards
Mark

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:29 pm »

Hi 787eng,

That looks very promising- what rpm would that need to be run at?

GhostInTheShell- Infernal Combustion!!!! In a steam tug!!!!! Damn it man!!!! :D

The oscillator- if that route would be best- would be typically 11mm X 11mm double acting- probably the Stuart Turner Puffin- or it's old Cheddar predecessor- a far better looking engine.

I'd prefer a reciprocator as opposed to a turbine- not just in terms of consumption, but also because that is contemporary to the designs of steam tugs. What would really work is a model early diesel genny- but I think thats a little ambitious- and I don't want the unreliability that goes with such finescale IC tech- plus I want steam only- no smelly blue smoke from my steamboats thankyou very much!!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

787Eng

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »

The manual is included on the Sullivan site and list the required RPM, this could be the down fall of the system for you as IC engines turn relatively high RPM in the 1000's %% Think they list 3000-10,000 RPM

So this my not be the answer to your needs...Sorry <:(

Mark

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 07:17:11 am »

Hi Martin, re Bob Symes, I am going back a long way here, into the 70s to be exact. Bobs loco worked well but he couldn't stop it glitching. I stuck it on the bench and fired it up and  found it simply needed loads of supression capacitors fitted in various places, those olddynamos were quite electrically noisy plus there were plenty of metal to metal joints everywhere. It ran using 27Mhz am radio and wastherefore more susceptible to this kind of interference.
After much testing and running up and down the workshop, proceedings were brought to an abrupt end when a clutch of axe weilding firemen burst into the workshop demanding to know 'where the fire was'. The workshop was full of smoke from the glow motor and a fireman pointed out that the fire alarm had been sounded back at the station. It was then noticed that the fire detector in the ceiling was blinking and had been activated by Bobs engine!
I met him about six years ago at the Brighton model show and had a quick chat, he's obviously getting on a bit now but was still active and had not lost his fascination with the hobby. :-))
Chris

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:22 pm »

Hi Mark,

I could acheive 3000rpm with a gearbox- just depends what torque it needs at that speed as the engine torque is obviously going to be at least halved with doubling-and-a-bit the engine shaft rpm- but then thats the beauty of steam right?

I'll have to do a bit of experimenting nearer the time- i'm interested to hear your suggestions though, thanks- would be great to have a proper self contained steamboat.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.