Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which one is best.  (Read 2595 times)

marion2009

Which one is best.
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:46:01 pm »

I have never built or sailed a model yacht, I have only built power models.
Could someone advise which of these 2 kits would be best for a sailing novice.

robbe contesse or Thunder Tiger Victoria.

thanks.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Which one is best.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:12 pm »

Both good boats.

The Victoria is Cheaper, smaller, lighter and less decorated than the Comtesse.

I would be inclined to recommend the Victoria based on size alone. It is only abut 78cm long the Comtesse is 95cm. The Comtesse is also much taller. The Victoria will sit (canted over) in the rear floor well of small cars easily, fully rigged.

I am sorry I do not know how easy it is to drop the rigging on the Comtesse to fit it in the car. But perhaps not easily.

Portability, for me, is a major concern with sail boats, always.

Ease of use is an important factor for any novice of anything.

I must admit to being biased. I love my Victoria, it has taken several years of abuse and is my most reliable boat.

I will admit that I would also like a Comtesse.

One thing I have found with both my race yachts. The deck furniture catches the running rigging and causes problems, and so I remove/leave off things like dummy winches (decorative) wheels, etc. And the Comtesse has a lot of deck furniture.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

marion2009

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:39:44 am »

Thanks for your thoughts on my model choice.
I think I would like to get the Comtesse but am confused by the need for lead ballast and wing keels.

Where does the ballast go, is it just tipped inside, that seems to be somewhat untidy. Where does the wing keel go, I presume it fits over the existing one.
I expect you are all groaning but it's a fair sum of money so I need to be sure what I need to get and what it's for.

Marion.

marion2009

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:43 am »

I was just Googling around and found a company that had the Comtesse in stock for £96 so I bought it anyway.
The price with free postage is very much better than anywhere else I have found.

So it's just a matter of waiting fot it to arrive.

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »

Make sure you let us know how you get on. I'm thinking about getting a yacht and would love to see a build and sailing log for your new boat!

marion2009

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 08:50:10 pm »

Yes I will try to do so. I have never built anything as big and complicated as this so I hope it turns out ok.
What does concern me greatly is actually painting it. It may be better not to.

One other issue is finding a sail servo that will work with my Futaba M series receiver. The incompatability of receiver/servo plugs should be easily overcome.
I am looking at the HS-765 HB sail arm servo.
I have standardised the M series transmitter so that the pulse train is now 1.5ms at neutral, just a minor tweak of each channel.

Marion.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.