Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover Metro problems  (Read 5751 times)

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
Rover Metro problems
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:06:42 pm »

This has nothing to do with model boats, although I am a model boater.  I know that we have some forum members who are very knowledgable about cars.   My problem, I drive a 1994 Rover Metro 1100 S, and up until 2 months ago it went with no problems whatsoever.   When ticking over correctly, it ran at about 1000 rpm.   When the problems started, the ticking over revs dropped to about 100 or 200, and sometimes the engine stalled.   The next symptom to appear was when cruising at 40 to 50 mph, the whole car started juddering and vibrating.   The only way I can clear it is to change down into third, give it some wellie, then change up.
I have put it into two garages for attention, just had a 12000 mile full servicing done, but the problem is still there.   This is driving me nuts, so apart from putting it in the scrapyard, has anyone any ideas, please?   Many thanks,  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

regiment

Re: Rover Metro problems
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:49:31 pm »

i had the same problem years ago something to do with the filler cap breather hole ? got blocked up

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:57:53 pm »

try driving around a short circuit WITHOUT the petrol cap in, but low enough fuel as to not slosh around your tank and spill out.  if it STILL does it, then its NOT your tank breather. 

check your fuel filter as well, have you let your tank run low at all, (like in the red) or have you at any point ran out of fuel?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:06:41 pm »

more than likely to to be a water leak into a cylinder, this will not cause misfiring but a loss in power, or the distributer cap might be dirty or old plugs and leads. The list could be endless!!

Pete
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:54 pm »

Dear Pete,

Sounds like a carburetor tuning problem. One solution is to get the vehicle tuned on a rolling road, the people who run such will I am sure sort this out for you. If you have a prob. getting hold of of such a facility (after looking at the Yellow Pages), find the nearest rally club and they will tell you straight away.

An idling speed of 1000rpm sounds a touch high? 5-600 would be nearer the mark I would have thought.

Regards, Bernard

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:14 pm »

It's probably fuel injected given the cars vintage. As someone pointed out, the fault could be linked to fueling or ignition,could be an engine sensor playing up, or a coil pack going west, dodgy fuel pump, blocked injectors, blocked fuel filter. On and on, impossible to diagnose on a forum like this.

At the very least a competent mechanic should be able to  plug it into a diagnostic computer and see if all the sensors are doing what they should.

OMK

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »

Join the RAC. A?.. A?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:01:12 pm »

Start simple...

Replace the air filter... What's the fuel consumption like?

If its a Fuel injection rather than a Carb, start thinking a sensor somewhere..

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.   I have made a note of every one of them, but first of all I will call on the AA, then if they cant sort it out, I will work my way through the list.   As usual, forum members have come up trumps.   Many thanks, Pete M

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 09:13:39 pm »

Peterm,
Can you confirm it is a "K" series Carburettor Engine?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 09:42:19 pm »

Wait until the price of scrap goes up,then do the needful,put the car out of its misery, O0

Wullie

Patternmaker

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:59:15 pm »

Check the exhaust and catalytic converter is not blocked, the baffles collapse and partially block the exhaust this will give you the symptom's you described.

Bee

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:07 pm »

The idling problem sounds like too much air so mixture wrong. If carburettor check crankcase breather tube is not perished.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 11:02:13 am »

It does sound like too much air getting in at idle.  My '70s Cortina did exactly that when the carb (which was apparently cast by the same people who make aero bars) "went porous".  If it happened very shortly after a service, have a close look at all the odd bits of hose in the area of the inlet manifold.  You never know what was nudged while the mechanic had his hands in there.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:35:21 pm »

It is peculiar that this engine problem clears after a thrash, one area to check could be water in the fuel tank. I don't know about Metro's but some vehicles have a steel petrol fiiler pipe which runs through the rear wheel arch. Given the lousy quality of the steel used on a lot of Rover cars, this can go rusty and perforate. Water spray from the rear wheel enters the fuel tank via the perforated steel filler pipe.
It's something worth checking as I have owned one or two vehicles with this type of problem and they both displayed similar symptons to your Metro.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:20 pm »

Once again, thanks to all.   I am checking evertthing that has been mentioned.   When (if) the problem is sorted I will let you know the answer.    Pete M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 23 queries.