Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first yacht(what to go for)  (Read 5048 times)

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
first yacht(what to go for)
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:01:43 pm »

I am thinking of trying this side of the hobby.Getting advice from the club.Opinion seems to be,if I don't get something big like a marblehead,i may get fed up quickly with anything less.(there is someone trying to sell me one!!)I think i may be just as happy with something less lively....any suggestions please?   

chromedome

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: first yacht(what to go for)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:24:20 pm »

The Fiesta is a good small boat, will handle a bit of weather better than the scale type yachts available, there is also an active owners association who organise plenty of friendly racing at different venues around the country.

http://fiestayachts.homestead.com/

Kits available from

http://www.mandm.gb.com/
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:45:21 pm »

Chromedome

I started by building and sailing a Wee Nip (plan available free on the web from MMI). It's only a mono rig (can be converted) but inexpensive to build. If you then find sail is not your thing you haven't invested too much.

I've found it fun and a useful training vessel.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

mike javelin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:55:41 pm »

It strikes me it comes down to the time / money equation.

If this is going to be the No 1 activity and you can devote the time to it then its worth spending the money and go for Marblehead or IOM.

If you have other activities as well it becomes a lot harder to justify the level of spend required to get and maintain  a competitive boat
In this situation a fiesta or my pick a Micro Magic my be a far better bang for buck.

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:57:20 pm »

It sounds like your club only sails Marbleheads. They can be fantastic boats but their size does make for disadvantages. The boats themselves and related gear tends to be more expensive and transporting them can pose problems. The IOM class is probably a better bet, with a lot more people sailing and fewer disadvantages. You might be better chosing the club to suit the boat, rather than vice versa.
If you're not intersted in competive sailing, the choice is far wider and generally more economical.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 11:14:50 pm »

Having got a 10R,I can highly recomend one goes like stink,very easy to sail,major drawback is the ovl lenght of the mast I am ok as I have a Omega est,but mast still stretches from the boot to the front seats.also got a marbelhead or should I say marbelheads got 3 thta I am building,having seen and sailed Welsh Druid's cant wait to get one on the water,thye go like stink.Also got a 1mtr good all round boat,no transportation probs WILL fit into most cars without the hassle of de rigging.Watch out on E aby for some bargains thta is where I got all My Marbelheads from and also the 1mtr.Paid £100 fro the 1mtr it came with a Bantock groovy mast and sails a real bargain,hope this will be of help.Stavros

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 07:41:49 pm »

thanks everybody.I bought a yacht from chap at the club today...so thats me started.Its a fair size and needs a bit off attention,but basically all i need is a tx and rx and try and set up the winch travel....I had better start a new thread now!!

chromedome

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:21:33 pm »

chromie, lidl are selling an RTR for 39.99, I have one, and its radio gear is actually pretty good.  however a Futaba 2ch set will suiy a yacht
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:15 pm »

Hi,
Have a look at the Soling 1m They retail about £140 weight 10lb. styrene hull/deck etc wooden mast/spars sails inc.(exc lead for keel)
We (Northampton Club) have three at the moment with another three interested. The rig is easily attached for sailing four lines, two sheets and the mast comes off. Sails fit easily on the parcel shelf of a picasso and the hull fits in easily to. Keel and fin are detachable  to mimumize travelling damage.
ro88o
ps try Mike clifton at cm yachts (do a google search)

Roger in France

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 09:26:11 am »

Must put in a word for the "Laser".

Not a cheap boat but great fun. As it is a class within which NO variations are permitted any competition is entirely down to the skippers skill. It is a mono-rig and very easily erected and dismantled. A carrying bag is available. I sail alone ( the class appears not to have caught on here in France )but there are many clubs and very keen competitions all over the UK.

Another small yacht I have seen (but not sailed) is the "Micro Magic" which looks good to me.

Roger in France.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:03:20 pm »

the micro magic is similar size to the University Club from hobby engine in hong kong, though with longer keel and better rig.  however though a good performer, if you are after something scale, then the micro magic wont cover that department! if is a small, capable model that you want then the micro magic will cover that requirement, they also race them!

as for scale yachts

Thunder Tiger Victoria
Thunder Tiger Voyager
Tamiya 40 EX
Kyosho Northwind
Kyosho Fairwind.

thats just a few.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:15:27 am »

Hi Chrome glad to hear you have made your decission and it could be the right one.

After a couple of seasons going round the pond you will find it is actually fun to race with others. Especially if they don't take it too seriosly.

So when thinking of buying a sail boat, one of the first question to ask is, what are others at the club sailing.

If they are sialing marbleheads or IOM you may have dipped out on the cost front. But you will be able to play with the others.
If they are sailing Victorias or micro magic, the price is sweet.

I know you will have lots of fun sailing. It is very relaxing and batterines last all day  O0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.