Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Class Patrol Boat  (Read 45161 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« on: July 18, 2009, 03:17:33 am »

After thinking and talking about it for a long time, and after much research, I have finally started on my attempt at a model of the Armidale Class patrol Boat of the Royal Australian Navy. This class of 14 boats was built by Austal in Western Australia, and the first example, HMAS Armidale, was commissioned in June 2005. Since then Larrakia, Bathurst, Albany, Pirie, Maitland, Ararat, Broome, Bundaberg, Wollongong, Childers, Launceston, Maryborough and Glenelg followed, and all are now in service. They are all named after regional Australian towns or cities, with the exception of Larrakia, which is named after an Aboriginal tribal nation. I have decided to name mine HMAS Bundaberg, for no other reason than my sister and brother-in-law live in that city.

I was very kindly given a general arrangement drawing and a large collection of photos of one of the boats, by Martin doon under, a member of this forum, and model builder extraordinaire. I was also able to obtain some very useful photos from various sources on the internet, where would we be without that resource?

Obtaining frame details proved to be impossible, the builders are unwilling to part with that information, no doubt worried that I, or other modellers, would set up in opposition to them  %) . However, I was able to plot the frames from the drawings at hand and, hopefully, the results will be acceptable. Others will be the judges of that.

I am not going to write a step by step construction log, but will post photos from time to time, so any progress can be seen. I have arrived at a stage where the hull has taken shape, and the photos below will demonstrate what I've achieved so far.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 03:22:24 am »

Just so it's known what I'm aiming at, here are photos of the real thing, and Bundaberg's crest. Bundaberg's pennant number is 91.

I believe that the "Cut and Slash" in the motto on the crest refers to the city of Bundaberg being the hub of a large sugar cane growing area, and the machetes shown were used in the early days to cut the cane.

Peter.

Proteus

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:12:18 am »

What about  HMAS  Hamersley ??  He He  the star of the Navy

http://v2.sea-patrol.com/?page_id=291&g2_itemId=7620

Proteus

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:15:19 am »

OK Peter.......as you know we have 'Bandit & Vinnie' as the very capable four legged trades assistants of the famed 'bogstandard' from Crewe in UK.........so you may as well enlighten our members with the name of your workshop assistant....the Golden Corgie I mean

Oh BTW...after good ccomments on the Proxxon saw in another thread I lashed out & purchased an FKS/E table saw

Please keep us up to date with your thread of postings & snaps on the Armidale Class PB.....beautiful OZ design  :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:24:25 am »

What about  HMAS  Hamersley ??  He He  the star of the Navy ...Proteus....you must understand the Navy would only lend an old second hand vessel for the earlier series  >>:-(

Anyway..... O0 I await the next series....  %) as I have had the pleasure of a few circuits of Sydney harbour on an older patrol boat.....  %%.......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 06:12:08 am »

Derek, the current series, No 3, uses the Armidale class, as did series 2. The Fremantle class was used in the first series and, at the time was still being used by the navy, although they were being progressively withdrawn from service.

Proteus, as you may know, the name Hammersley is fictitious, as is the pennant number 82. The numbers run from 83 to 96.

The workshop supervisor's name is Cassie, and she is usually underfoot or, if the stress of the job gets too much, she can be found relaxing as shown below.  O0

Peter.

Proteus

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 06:14:50 am »

Derek you must live in a back water or something we in the UK have suffered series two already, have you got Bluey yet or Water Rats the Best programs on Aus TV according to the adverts ...... %%   :}   ;D

Proteus   O0

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 06:25:47 am »

Proteus, you'll have to forgive Derek, he comes from Wollongong  {-) {-)

Sorry, Derek, I couldn't resist  ;) I actually think the Gong is a nice place............really  O0

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:19 am »

Proteus suggests ...."the Best programs on Aus TV according to the adverts" ......    no sorry .......one of the highest rating television series in OZ is....... :police: "The Bill"   :-))  & I shall be watching the series this evening..... O0 Derek

Opps.......we should also welcome 'Cassie' on board as a junior assistant member.................  {-)  :-)
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:39:46 am »

the highest rating television series in OZ is....... :police: "The Bill"   :-))  & I shall be watching the series this evening..... O0 Derek

Oops.......we should also welcome 'Cassie' on board as a junior assistant member.

So will I Derek, I've missed very few episodes in over 25 years, even through the period where everyone was jumping into bed with everyone else, which saw the show lose a lot of popularity. I even have the pilot episode, then called Woodentop, saved on a hard drive  :embarrassed:

and Cassie says "Thanks", at least, I think that's what she said  {-) {-)

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:18:00 pm »

Peter,

Like the progress so far. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Mark47

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 08:25:59 am »

Nice sleek hull lines. I like that. O0

What are her over all dimensions?

Mark

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 11:16:01 am »

Peter

That is a dangerous wicked looking hull.  :-)) :-))

The dog however......? %) %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:23:53 pm »

What are her over all dimensions?

1120 mm long - 1/50 scale.

TT, the dog's anything but dangerous, she's a great watch dog though, she'll sit and watch anyone  {-)

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 06:42:25 am »

Some steady progress, although making prop shaft and rudder assemblies takes time, and there's not a lot to show for it...well, that's what my wife says  :-) I also built a stand as well, which helps protect the hull strakes from damage. The prop tubes are fixed in, as are the rudder tubes and the rudder servo mount. Next job is to fit the bow thruster, which may have to be mounted a little farther back than it should be, due to the narrow bow section, but I don't think it will be too noticeable unless scrutinised by the rivet counters  %)

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 09:10:35 am »

Coming along nicely Peter.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nick_75au

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 10:51:38 am »

Looks good so far, not easy to visualise frames from a 2d set of drawings

On another note as an ex RAN sailor myself I cant help but watch it (Sea Patrol) , and cant help but cringe at the unrealism of it all, groooaaaannnn

A wicked tough looking ship though.

Nick

madrob

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 11:44:50 am »

Looking good so far
What wood you used for the hull?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 01:19:40 pm »

as Nick says........"On another note as an ex RAN sailor myself I cant help but watch it (Sea Patrol) , and cant help but cringe at the unrealism of it all, groooaaaannnn"

mmmmmm I understand & respect your comment Nick  <*<.......but hope millions of OZ viewers have watched this series to ensure that we get another Y2010 series ........ O0  & just to keep the salt levels in our blood OK.......Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 11:36:02 pm »

Madrob, the hull is 1.5 mm ply on 6 mm ply frames.

Nick, I enjoy watching Sea Patrol, but can't help thinking that they get themselves into, and out of, enough trouble, in the most unlikely circumstances, for the entire navy. Perhaps the rest of the RAN  lead very boring lives  :D

Peter.

nick_75au

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 01:07:19 am »

I know I had a relatively boring career, hardly even left Australian waters. We rescued a bunch of very drunk fishermen in a half cabin once.
The show is a bit like Blue Heelers(another show featuring Lisa McCune), a country town that has enough excitement for every country town in Australia :D
Heres to another season of Navy PR, Almost makes me want to rejoin, however the wife would not approve :embarrassed:

Nick

steve pickstock

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »

Bring back Bluey - yes Gods but that man could run!

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »

Hello

... but I don't think it will be too noticeable unless scrutinised by the rivet counters ... 

Ooops I mean I'm a rivet counter  :embarrassed:

Prior to read the text I was suprised with the position of the bow thruster because close to the bow the thruster is and more efficient it will be. Then I was suprised and I was thinking : "not efficient bow thruster"  ....

So I've read the text  :embarrassed:

Very nice built for the hull, I'm waiting for the rest...

It's a pity I've never seen this class of patrol boat and I'm like an old man (47) as I'm "stuck" on the Fremantle class

In 2002 at Nouméa - New Caledonia  I've made a visit to HMAS Ipswich  and I still have a base ball cap which was a gift from the CO after a dinner aboard of the FNS Jacques Cartier.  At that time the CO was talking about the Fremantle class as 10 meters too short for Pacific ocean...  It should be ok with the new class.   

One of my pics of the Ipswich taken from the Jacques Cartier

My cap ! Please note the PTF 209 instead of FCPB 209 as 209 was the hull number of the future US President JFK patrol boat (a PTF) during WWII   

I've just noticed that the HMAS Ipswich was used for the TV dramma series Sea Patrol renamed as HMAS Hammersley (pennant number 202 ... No more JFK PTF ... ) I've never seen this dramma in France, even if we have some australian ones.

So I'm waiting for the next step and I supose that your bow thruster will be not so efficient   

A+ Xtian 

PS : nice dog !   

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 07:31:45 am »

Xtian, the bow thruster is now installed a little further forward than shown in the photo, it was just sitting there loose for "photographic purposes"   :-). It is still not in its correct position, but should be more effective than it would have been if installed where it was in the photo.

I'm in the process of wiring up the ACTion P94 and all the other bits and pieces...thank heaven for Dave Milbourn's wiring diagrams. The hull has been given a coat of resin inside to help waterproof it, prior to fitting all the electrics and the deck. More photos later.

Peter.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 01:50:54 pm »

In the uk version of the film, JFK's Boat was PT 109,  - must have been rebuiltl.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.