Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Class Patrol Boat  (Read 45211 times)

Ticonderoga

Re: Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:32 pm »

She is looking Good Peter, well done.

I am looking forward to receiving the Attack plans form the historical society folks.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 06:47:41 am »

Still more progress, and one "oops" moment  :embarrassed: My hyper critical son in Sydney  ok2 spotted the fact that I had 2 of the radomes positioned the wrong way round, the bigger one should be on the port side, and I had it on the starboard side. I had actually realised it, but thought no one would notice.....WRONG  {:-{ , my son Mark quickly responded to an email, with photos of the build so far, pointing out my error. Fortunately, I was able to rectify the problem without too much trouble.

I have since added the remaining radomes and numerous small aerials, glazed the bridge windows, and attached the 2 radar scanners, The hand railing has been nearly completed, with the exception of some near the 2 yet to be built RIBs. I still have to make suitably sized life rings and the name plates plus crests. However, the end is in sight, although no firm date for sea trials has been set.

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:33 am »

Really excellent Peter, nearly at the moment of truth time, which way up will she float ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin13

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:02 pm »

Really nice Pete - really nice :-))

Martindu

Ticonderoga

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 09:49:00 pm »

Excellent model Peter, well done :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »

which way up will she float ?

That's the big question, Richard  O0

Thank you all for the kind comments. HMAS Bundaberg has been the most ambitious modelling project that I have undertaken so far, and I feel that I have extended the boundaries of my modelling abilities with this build. However, looking at other builds on this forum, I still have a long way to go to reach the standards set by many others here.

Peter.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »

That's the big question, Richard  O0

Thank you all for the kind comments. HMAS Bundaberg has been the most ambitious modelling project that I have undertaken so far, and I feel that I have extended the boundaries of my modelling abilities with this build. However, looking at other builds on this forum, I still have a long way to go to reach the standards set by many others here.

Peter.

Hi Peter.

I think not.

Well done done on a beautiful job. She looks great. Now OFF to the EXPO with you.   :}

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2010, 12:40:04 am »

Thanks, Ken, but sometimes photos do not tell the whole story, and can hide mistakes. As I said previously I am happy with it, and I guess that's all that matters O0.

I will be taking Bundaberg to the Model Railway Expo, which may not seem the most appropriate place for a Marine Modelling club to be exhibiting. However, while model railways are the main focus of the Expo, other modelling disciplines are encouraged to attend, and our club's display is always very well received. The Expo is held every 2 years, and attracts quite a large crowd for a country town, with several thousand visitors over the 2 days.

I have made a start on the 2 RIBs, and have made and attached the ship's nameplates. The lettering on these is meant to be chrome, or perhaps it's polished stainless steel, but I could not obtain any such lettering, so used white instead. I looked at the BECC silver, but that is too grey, so I thought that the white would stand out better. If some more suitable lettering becomes available, I can easily change it.

A photo below, with one of the real HMAS Bundaberg for comparison.

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2010, 08:12:28 am »

Barrys Model Lettering do silver Peter, though how silver it is I dont know.

http://www.modellettering.com/index.asp

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2010, 02:43:41 am »

The davits are made, and the RIB construction is underway. I have decided not to try and replicate every detail of the davits, as they are too intricate for my ageing eyes and hands  :((, but to try for a reasonable representation. The RIB stern drive unit is also quite complicated so, again, a representation will have to do. Perhaps I could class them as stand (way) off scale  %)

Well, HMAS Bundaberg has finally had her hull wet  :-)) in the test tank (bath), and she floats beautifully with two 6 volt 4.2 Ah batteries on board - right on the waterline  O0 :-)). She will have her maiden voyage some time during this week, to sort out any problems, and then will make her club debut next Sunday, weather permitting. Photos will be taken of the big occasion  :-)

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2010, 08:31:24 am »

The davits look just the business. Looks like a lot of work - well done that man. As for exact detail, I take the approach that if you can't see it from a couple of feet away then what's the pont? The overall impression will be fine. But as 'someone' says, you take your choice..

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Ticonderoga

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2010, 08:45:12 am »

Hello Peter, all up to the normal great standard, well done.

My wife and I are booked in for two nights in Murwullimbah looking forward to saying hello and see the boat in the flesh.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2010, 11:42:41 pm »

Hello Peter, all up to the normal great standard, well done.

My wife and I are booked in for two nights in Murwullimbah looking forward to saying hello and see the boat in the flesh.

Thanks Andrew.

Not too long to go now. I will be there, with Bundaberg and a couple of other boats of mine, together with other members of our club. I look forward to talking with you.

Doug, I am taking the same approach to this model. I am trying to have as much detail as is practical, but am not "counting rivets" as they say. The problem is deciding what to have, and what to leave out, as I said before, it is stand way off scale  :-)

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:50 am »

I took HMAS Bundaberg out for her sea trials a couple of hours ago and, as the younger generation might say, I'm stoked  :-)) She performed flawlessly and really looked the part on the water. The ACTion P94 unit was superb (was there ever any doubt  :o ) thanks Dave, although having all the controls on one stick took a bit of getting used to, but it was great.

I still have a few details to add, including some more railings, the flag, and a few other bits and pieces. I was waiting for some things to arrive from Tower hobbies in the USA before I could finish the job, and the parcel was on my door step when we came back from the lake.

My wife came along for the big moment and took the photos below.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:21 am »

Hey Peter....congratulations.....she looks impressive in the water  :-)) ...I particularly like .jpg P1000392 where we can see the hull pressure at the stern that creates the lower water void & then followed by the stern wave...most life like -  O0 Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pugwash

« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2010, 07:17:17 am »

Peter, she looks a treat on the water - I have enjoyed watching the build.
Whats next??

Geoff

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2010, 07:32:02 am »

Peter
You can always "split" the steering and throttle controls between the two sticks - you're the skipper, after all.
As we quaint East Midlanders would say, "Dunt 'alf look good, duntit?"
FLJ

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:42 am »

Thanks, Derek. You may have got the impression that I am pleased with the result....and you'd be right  O0

Geoff, thanks for the kind comment. My next one is going to be a "quickie" for my 3 youngest grandsons in Sydney, a pusher tug in case their other model breaks down in the middle of the Lane Cove River %). After that will be a 1/20 scale Severn life boat.

Dave, I was actually thinking of doing just that...I've just got to stop doing so much thinking, it gives me a headache  :D

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:09 am »

Sighs of relief all round Peter, she floated right side up.

Looks really excellent, another success, well done.

Ticonderoga

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2010, 08:45:15 am »

Well done Peter, congratulations.

Andrew

rathikrishna

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

WOOOW....SIR, its an excellent work...will you tell me about the motors used...is it RS 380..?..which battery pack can be used with these motors..?..will you clear my doubts once.?..please..

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2010, 08:06:32 pm »

Cor .... you got some power there Guv.        :-))  :-))  :-))

Lovely job Peter, as usual  ok2

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2010, 12:02:02 am »

Sighs of relief all round Peter, she floated right side up.
Looks really excellent, another success, well done.
Thank you Richard. Yes, it was a BIG relief that it floated  O0 AND on the waterline  :-))

Thanks to you too, Andrew, and I'll see you in Murwillumbah on the weekend of the 14th and 15th.

Rathikrishna, I used 545 type motors, and the battery is a sealed lead acid (SLA) 6 volt, 7.2 amp hour. This battery, driving 5 blade props, gives all the speed I need, any faster would not be realistic.

Thanks also Ken. Yes, all the power needed  O0

Another part of the build I was very happy with was my home made motor couplings. These were made from lathe turned brass and old car speedo cable - very cheap, quiet, and effective. I can't claim any originality for the idea, as one of our club members did a similar thing and I copied him.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

A shot of the superstructure bracing on my Armidale especially for brianB6, who was wondering if I had experienced any warping problems with the styrene. I haven't, and it's probably due to the bracing shown.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

Hi Peter
Many thanks for the picture  :-))
Definitely worth 1000 words
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.