Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Class Patrol Boat  (Read 45239 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 05:54:54 am »

Some more progress on the patrol boat. The hull has been primed and painted grey, but the black anti fouling paint has yet to be applied. The Typhoon gun has been made, and temporarily placed in position for the photos, and I've started work on the styrene superstructure.

It's starting to look like a naval ship now, maybe it's the paint, but there's a long way to go before launching day.

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 07:51:29 am »

Derek, the current series, No 3, uses the Armidale class, as did series 2. The Fremantle class was used in the first series and, at the time was still being used by the navy, although they were being progressively withdrawn from service.

Proteus, as you may know, the name Hammersley is fictitious, as is the pennant number 82. The numbers run from 83 to 96.

The workshop supervisor's name is Cassie, and she is usually underfoot or, if the stress of the job gets too much, she can be found relaxing as shown below.  O0

Peter.

If my memory serves me correctly, {:-{ way back in time the first "Patrol boat" TV show featured the 1st class namely "Attack class"  :-)) and horrors of horrors it was an all male crew. <:( 8)

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 07:57:31 am »

Madrob, the hull is 1.5 mm ply on 6 mm ply frames.

Nick, I enjoy watching Sea Patrol, but can't help thinking that they get themselves into, and out of, enough trouble, in the most unlikely circumstances, for the entire navy. Perhaps the rest of the RAN  lead very boring lives  :D

Peter.
Some trivia,  ok2 The Navy has a small team that liaises  :-)) with the series producers to make facilities available for the TV show. The logic is it is good advertising and aids recruitment to the RAN.   O0 8)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 12:09:31 am »

If my memory serves me correctly, {:-{ way back in time the first "Patrol boat" TV show featured the 1st class namely "Attack class"  :-)) and horrors of horrors it was an all male crew. <:( 8)

Quite correct, the boat used was an Attack class. The series was made between 1979 & 1983, and the skipper was played by actor Andrew McFarlane. Fremantle class boats were used in the 2nd and subsequent series.

Peter.

Ticonderoga

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2010, 04:05:55 am »

Hello Peter, the typhoon looks very good. did you make the decal on the front as well?

tico

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »

Hi tassie 48,
Mate, sailing on the Gold Coast, am I correct that you are mixing it with the runabouts on the broadwater.
No wonder you use high coamings.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 11:20:16 pm »

Hello Peter, the typhoon looks very good. did you make the decal on the front as well?
tico

Tico, I did make the decal myself using decal paper from Craft Computer paper. It's printed on my inkjet printer, and sprayed with 3 coats of clear acrylic varnish, it then behaves like a normal waterslide decal. I have used this method successfully on 2 other models.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:26 pm »

Very nice Pete,

Very talented indeed :-))

Might have to get you to show me how you made those decals..

Martin du

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2010, 01:38:52 pm »

Tico, I did make the decal myself using decal paper from Craft Computer paper. It's printed on my inkjet printer, and sprayed with 3 coats of clear acrylic varnish, it then behaves like a normal waterslide decal. I have used this method successfully on 2 other models.

Peter.
Would that be Crafty Computer Paper Peter ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:19 pm »

Oops, sorry Richard, a typo, definitely Crafty Computer Paper  :embarrassed:

Martin, if you can use a printer, it's easy enough to do on the right paper. I also use an ancient version of The Print Shop software, which gives a wide range of type faces and effects. An example below.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2010, 10:52:56 pm »

Oops, sorry Richard, a typo, definitely Crafty Computer Paper  :embarrassed:

Martin, if you can use a printer, it's easy enough to do on the right paper. I also use an ancient version of The Print Shop software, which gives a wide range of type faces and effects. An example below.

Peter.

What is the right paper and where do I get it from. I might assign this project to the missus - she's good on computers.
I need to make up decals for various lockers etc on BB..

Mdu

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2010, 02:17:09 am »

What is the right paper and where do I get it from.

Martin, it's ink jet water slide decal paper and I got mine from here http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/productlist.asp?catid=14&RootCatID=14

It works a treat, the main thing is to give it 3 light coats of a spray acrylic clear varnish, as ink jet printer ink is not waterproof. It can then be used as any normal water slide decal.  I use Septone clear, which I bought from our local Super Cheap Auto branch, however, they don't stock Septone any more, instead they have 3M brand, which they claim is better, and slightly cheaper. I haven't tried any of the 3M clear, but their other spray packs are very good.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2010, 01:09:39 am »

The main body of the superstructure is finished, after quite a few alterations. Only having a general arrangement drawing creates some problems in certain areas, but the many photos I have of HMAS Armidale makes life much easier. I was worried about getting the curve of the forward part of the superstructure correct but, after a few adjustments I think it looks OK now . Now for the mass of detail, which should keep me occupied for a while  O0.

This is the first scratch built model where I've used styrene sheet, and I'm quite impressed, although I did build a Model Slipway kit of HMCC Sentinel back in 2005. I do like working with wood, but styrene does seem to make some jobs much easier, and given that the Armidale class is mainly built from aluminium, the smooth finish of the styrene should look right.

Some photos below, amid the clutter of my small workshop  :embarrassed: (except for one).

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2010, 10:14:28 am »

Nice clean job Peter. I reckon styrene is great, saves all that waitng for glue to dry, filling and rubbing down. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:09 am »

The black anti fouling paint has been applied to the hull, the pennant numbers are on, and the superstructure has had a coat of grey as well. The mast structure is done, but there are still some bits to be attached, mainly radar and light fittings. I did think of fitting working lights, briefly, but our club does very little night sailing, so I decided against the idea. The next big job will be the 2 RIBs and their davits, and I still have to decide how to make the 2 radomes. I thought of a table tennis ball for the bigger one, but TT balls are too big - any ideas....anyone??? The rather unusual aerial shown in the bottom photo also has to be made - when I work out how  :D The ladders were made from 3/64in brass rod, soldered in a jig. The deck railings will be the next soldering job.

The life raft canisters are made from suitable size dowel, the end grain of the wood was sealed with thin Zap, and this seems to have worked quite well. The bands around the canisters are thin card attached with Zap.

Some photos below.

Peter.

tassie48

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2010, 07:44:58 am »

top job Peter for the radar domes i use the underarm roll on balls cleaned of course on my models or the round domes from the spot light craft shop tassie48.

Ticonderoga

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2010, 08:09:58 am »

Very nice job Peter, she is looking just great.

What is your secret for the lovely joins in the Evergreen or Plastruct panels?

Regards,

Tico

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:58 am »

Hi Peter  she is looking just great.
the boat that is  {-) {-)
this is the way i make the radar domes for my models , it may help you  :-))

aye
john e
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2010, 11:51:39 pm »

Thanks for the info Tassie48 and Bluebird.

John, that's a very innovative idea  :-)) and one I will certainly try - thank you.

Tico, some of the joins are less than perfect  :embarrassed: , but I usually use a filler (Exterior Polyfilla) where needed, then sand smooth. As a point of interest, the styrene I am using comes in large sheets, the ones I have are about 1500mm by 900mm, very much cheaper than the A4 size Plastruct or Evergreen sheets.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2010, 02:21:07 am »

The fitting out continues. I have managed to make a reasonable (I think) representation of the circular antenna and its mast, after much trial and error {:-{ The large radome came from a roll on insect repellent cap which, by great good fortune, was exactly the right size and shape. The smaller radome was made on my lathe using pine dowel.

Some of the hand railings have been fitted, but I'm awaiting the arrival of some brass rod before I can make the rest. Some styrene tubing is also in the post, so I can make a start on the 2 RIB's, which are a feature of this class, when that arrives.

I have had the motors running, using FLJ's ACTion Electronics amazing P94 unit, which is an absolute gem  :-)) - thanks, Dave.

I'm hoping to have HMAS Bundaberg finished by mid August, when our club is exhibiting at a Model Railway  :o Expo in Murwillumbah, about 80km north of us here. I will still take it even if it's not quite done, though.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2010, 02:51:22 am »

Looking supurb Peter O0......I did note on Thursday evenings screening that the current series is nearing the last episode  >>:-( <*<

One question........during the shooting I understand naturally that the production team use a real Armidale class vessel.....but with the internal filming..... the companion ways seem too wide & the flights of stairs too high?

As an avid fan of the series....I think the best script writers returned from three weeks leave for the last few episodes of the series.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2010, 06:07:08 am »

the companion ways seem too wide & the flights of stairs too high?

Derek, I've only just found out the HMAS Bundaberg visited the Gold Coast on 25th June, if I had known, I would have driven up there, it's only an hour or so away  >>:-( I realised after Googling HMAS Bundaberg, and coming up with a website with 82 photos of her visit there. One of the photos shows an internal view which seems very much like those on the TV show.
The "Sea Patrol" web site states that HMAS Broome was used for 42 of the 86 days filming, with HMAS Launceston used for some "pick up" shots.

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2010, 10:47:27 am »

Excellent job Peter she's looking really good. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2010, 11:05:11 pm »

Thank you, Richard.

I'll be starting on the Severn life boat as soon as Bundaberg is finished.

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »

Really looks great Peter and I am a big fan of the show.  :-)) :-)) :-)) I had all good intentions of going and taking a look at HMAS Bundaberg when she was here but all the best plans soon take a back seat when you have a new baby in the house.

Regards David
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.