Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Class Patrol Boat  (Read 45249 times)

rathikrishna

Re: Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:51 am »

Oh my God...thanks for the great photographs ...its excellent...

Trooper63

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2011, 11:25:39 am »

Peter, this is my first post as a mate has only just pointed out this wonderful forum.   The Armidale is beautiful, I know an ex-skipper of Bundie.  Your replication is truely amazing.  I bought one of Alan's hulls at 1/72 but then realised she was too small for my skill.  I'm generally a 1/24 workboat man.  I have shares in Austal and they still wouldn't offer any hint on plans etc.  Even my contacts couldn't get hold of anything other than the Austal publicity docs.

I may have missed it in the thread here, but where did you get the plans?  Or are they your own drawn up from research?

Anyway, congratulations indeed on a magnificant Model.

Sean

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:56 am »

Thank you for your kind comments, Sean. The plans were obtained from a modeller in Victoria, but are really only enlarged versions of the Austal line drawings. I relied heavily on photographs of the Armidale herself, taken early in her career but, unfortunately, many changes have been made to all the class over the last few years, so my model in not strictly accurate for Bundaberg. However, I'm happy with my model which looks and performs very realistically on the water.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2011, 11:22:06 pm »

Hi Sean
Welcome to the Armidale builders club.
I have sent you a pm.
Besides Allan Pew, Glen Edge (glenedge) and Steve Batcheldor (sjbatch) both have information and Steve makes 1:50 hulls.
There are quite a lot of photos on the net if you search under each boats name.

Trooper63

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2011, 02:22:58 pm »

Peter et alia,

What does the ACTion P94 unit do?  At the moment I'm thinking it is a mixer for some functions...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »

Peter et alia,

What does the ACTion P94 unit do?  At the moment I'm thinking it is a mixer for some functions...
Gooday Trooper63

The P94 is one of Daves exceptional little gizmos.

I have three of these and they are excellent.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2011, 05:48:53 am »

Peter did you paint the inside of the bridge windows and if so, what with   ?

brianB6

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2011, 06:08:19 am »

Hi Dickie
As Glen pointed out to me, the windows are actually clear but have pull down dark tinted blinds to reduce the glare.
I made the whole of my bridge walls from 2 mm. tinted perspex but it is heavy.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »

Peter did you paint the inside of the bridge windows and if so, what with   ?

Richard, I sprayed the inside of the windows with a Tamiya acrylic paint called "Smoke" in an effort to replicate the tinted effect. I didn't realise, until I read brianB6's post, that the "tint" was actually a pull down blind. :embarrassed:

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »

Thanks Peter  :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2013, 07:37:51 am »

My interest in the Armidale Class Patrol Boats received a big boost recently. A friend of mine, Don, who is also a former teaching colleague of my wife's, has 2 sons in the Royal Australian Navy, one of whom was a former CO of HMAS Glenelg and HMAS Maryborough, both of which are ACPBs. I recently visited Don and took my model of HMAS Bundaberg along to show him. He told me he would be visiting his son, now based in Darwin, and would tell him of my model. While in Darwin, Don's son introduced him to a former CO of Bundaberg who, when he heard of my model, gave Don a replica of the the ship's crest to give to me, together with a copy of the builder's drawings of the vessel. Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled, especially with the plaque, a photo of which is below. Don knew we were due to visit Cairns where 4 of the Armidales are based, including Bundaberg, so he gave me his son's phone number and told me to ring his son (Nick), who may be able to arrange for us to go on board Bundaberg.

I rang Nick, and was told we couldn't have timed our visit to Cairns better, as it was the base's open day the next day. Bundaberg and several other RAN vessels were open for inspection, so I was able to see first hand how good (or otherwise) a job I made of my model. I took many photos, so now a refit is on the schedule to try to bring my model up to current condition. A few days later we were driving past the base, which is called HMAS Cairns, when we saw another ACPB, HMAS Childers, out of the water on a type of sling, obviously for hull maintenance. That afternoon, HMAS Bundaberg left Cairns for Sydney to take part in the 2013 International Fleet Review.

I said to my wife that we could go home now, as my visit was complete - needless to say that didn't go down too well :-) . We stayed for 8 days and had a great time in a lovely tropical city, where the weather was extremely kind to us, going out to the Barrier Reef, as well as a trip on the Kuranda Scenic Railway and back on the Skyway.

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2013, 11:01:49 am »

Hi Peter, nice shots, they call that the Travel Lift  at Norship Portsmith, we use to tie our trawlers up across the road from there, its a shame ,if I knew you were coming to Cairns we could have met up, as we are still here , we are leaving Tuesday week to slowly make our way back down to Byron Bay (to where its cooler  ok2 ).......
Brian  B

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:39 pm »

Very envious  :embarrassed:
Maybe I can get there, or Darwin, one day.  O0

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2013, 11:19:01 pm »

BB, it was actually cooler in Cairns than here at home :o , but I know that won't last. Hopefully we can catch up once you return to the Bay O0

Brian B6, if you ever get the chance it's well worth it. There's nothing like actually seeing, and being on board, the ship. One thing that surprised me was the below decks area of Bundaberg, it's more like a civilian pleasure craft than a warship. One of the crew told me it's because that builders, Austal, are more used to building civilian vessels. Note the steps instead of ladders.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2013, 12:30:35 am »

I think no matter how proud we are of our Armidale class patrol boats.........they are going to have a chequered structural history
The cracking has nothing to do with the number of illegal's taken on board.......nor the duty cycle........but comes back to material selection & design
Theories abound........but no amount of arc or gas gouging & rewelding of aluminium structures will eliminate the fatigue problem
Thankfully there is no evidence that the builders are being blamed....they simply provided to their contracted detail..............
The recommended replacements for the Armidale's is of steel hull construction ...........
Question 6. in the following is typically an unintelligent understanding of metallurgical fatigue ....but typical of short thrust media.........  Derek

http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/redirect.jhtml?searchfor=armidale+patrol+boats+cracking&cb=YK&p2=%5EYK%5Exdm357%5EYY%5Eau&qid=c34fca05c2464e17a6fc2c668c4caad9&n=77fcb88c&ptb=C8A99ED1-0DE1-4953-80EE-6451D916A985&si=454688&pg=GGmain&action=pick&ss=sub&pn=1&st=bar&qs=&pr=GG&tpr=&redirect=mPWsrdz9heamc8iHEhldEbmuFphVDMzh2B7QEq%2B3XL02v80%2BZ%2BY2hNvMLk9lkdaG4l9qe4X4t4OJxroxXemYw75rn4spndtWpbyS3hwMWa1mL%2F%2B7%2FdsTWti%2Fd%2FyXwQkqbxcCqWaOcnosKtYGxGkykFN6Q%2BXCJb0NdVlwqDNwwl3HV%2Bs5XUTmORGguo8nOzMR&ord=7&ct=AR&
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2013, 02:46:27 am »

Derek,

Do you know anthying about their design origins.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:18 am »

RAAArtyGunner   ...there is very little information commercially available on the ACPB design...although WIKI suggests that it was based upon the Austal Bay class then following onto the Cape class
It is presumed that Austal put a bid on a Specification as provided by the DofD Navy......... that this would have included the thickness & tensile strength of aluminium plate used in the construction + the welding procedures together with the NDT procedures.....all of which would have referenced A&NZ quality Standards
The acceptance of the successive ACPB build of components would have been in accordance with agreed procedures & ultimately signed off by a serving RAN Officer
In the steel {heavy industry} we work with a 4:1 FOS on material yield............
We also have a French Naval Architect [ixion  as a member of MBM........possibly he could comment on the safety factors as used in [aluminium hull construction] in world Naval vessels........ Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2013, 06:20:49 am »

I was talking to one of the crew who told me a lot of the problems were brought about by the boats operating in a harsher environment that the one they were designed for, in his words, "we've given them a hammering". I believe that they were originally intended for close in patrol work but, as we all know, they have been busy intercepting illegals in the middle of the ocean. As to the suitability or otherwise of aluminium for hull construction, I'll leave that to the experts, as I have no idea.

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »

Don't know if I am getting my boats mixed up, but had an idea that they were UK designed, with the first one being built in the UK and the remainder out here.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2013, 11:16:57 pm »

The Armidales were designed and built by Austal in Western Australia.

http://www.austal.com/en/products-and-services/defence-products.aspx

Peter.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2013, 01:02:05 am »

Don't know if I am getting my boats mixed up, but had an idea that they were UK designed, with the first one being built in the UK and the remainder out here.

Your thinking of the Fremantle class which preceded these :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2013, 03:03:14 am »

Your thinking of the Fremantle class which preceded these :-))

Thank you both, thought I may have had it wrong, they reckon it has to do with age,  O0 O0 but what do they know {-) {-)

Actually just testing to see if anyone really knew %) %)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2013, 04:08:59 am »

Hi there Peter, here is another Armidale Class I took in 2009 of the HMAS Childers  ,and of the Fremantle Class Waranambool back in from sea trials at cairns in 1981, and another of that Class the Wollongong in not so happy events....
Brian  B

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:31 am »

Interesting photos, Brian :-))

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
HMAS Bundaberg - on Fire
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2014, 06:55:26 am »

Guys.......latest news today from Brisbane Queensland is that HMAS Bundaberg [Pennant #91] has suffered a serious fire during a refit..........

Will post a few links........but fire & aluminium construction are not compatible.......they don't look good ..........

No reports of loss of life at this stage........Derek

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hmas+bundaberg&biw=1920&bih=929&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=4VroU6yONsmFogTjoICQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQqAI
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.