Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Class Patrol Boat  (Read 45163 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Armidale Class Patrol Boat
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »

fancy naming a warship after some grog.............hic :D :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »

Was there a class of sloops named after Swan Lager?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2014, 12:30:17 am »

HMAS Bundaberg was in a shipyard in Brisbane for a refit when a fire, probably started by welding sparks, caused terrible damage to the boat. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt, although several workers suffered smoke inhalation. The story was on all the TV news, with special emphasis on the local news where I am at the moment, at Elliott Heads near Bundaberg.

I was lucky enough to go on board Bundaberg during a visit to Cairns, her home base, in September last year, when I took many photos so I could upgrade my model of her. The Navy is waiting on an assessment of the damage to see if she is repairable, but going on the TV news pictures she looks in a bad way. She is built of aluminium, which can burn intensely, and it took a long time for fire crews to bring the blaze under control. The photo below, from Channel 7 Brisbane news, shows the forward superstructure of the boat well ablaze. The other shot is of me on the bridge of Bundaberg during our visit.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:14 am »

fancy naming a warship after some grog.............hic :D :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

I could think of worse things to name it after {-)  Perhaps some Navy personnel will be drinking large amounts of Bundy Rum to drown their sorrows now <:(

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2014, 01:31:40 am »

To lose a naval vessel during engagement would be tragic, to lose a naval vessel during a docking is inexcusable

Docking work of our RAN vessels is literally work that is carried out under authority from the Commander of the vessel 

The completion of a refit to a warship is never over until the weight of the paperwork = the dry weight of the vessel

That paperwork includes the multiple delegation of sub authorities to complete the work in accordance with the documents procedures

Considering that the Armidale Class had been in service for some 7+ years.....such refit documents would have been generic, but tried & proven time and time over

The paperwork authorities documentation will be reviewed by the Naval Board of Enquiry, however will be found to be correct with the cause of the fire to have been by human intervention in the non compliance with the nominated procedures

The inexcusable action was preventable and certain personal may be found negligent and disciplined, however the Enquiry will find the vessels Commander responsible for the $30M loss

...[technical experience you ask?.......once appeared before a Rear Admirals review panel over an incident at my work place].........[this was in relation to the first lifting in Australia of the OTO Melara 76 mm gun mount from HMAS Adelaide [FFG Frigate] and electrical arcing/sparking as the mounting lost conductivity with the vessel hull proper  >>:-( ].... [my role here was to abort the lift until experts determined the cause]........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.