Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lindberg Tug Build  (Read 2847 times)

Lindberg Tug Build
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:34:50 pm »

I am building a Lindberg Tug as an introduction to R/C model boating, partly as a break from my other hobby (Model Railways). The instructions are at best a little vague for certain areas and the engineering & design could be better, but it has all worked out in the end and i'd recommend building one instead of buying an out of the box Tug.

However, there are a few items on the sprue's that aren't shown in the instructions, and i'm wondering exactly the best place for the wedge-shaped moulding with holes in for an on-off switch...? I doubt i'll be using it anyway as i'm after a scale appearance, and when the build is complete only a few screw heads should be visible and possibly the charging socket.

I'd be interested to see other finished models using this kit (i've already found this site: http://www.boatnerd.com/model/tug/kilkenny/

ggeorge

Re: Lindberg Tug Build
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:36:54 am »

Hi Linberg tug builder,
  A number of our club members have built these tugs. One of the problems is to get all the equipment in an keep it dry and not sinking. What I did was to add another 3/8 in. to the height of the hull by cutting along the length and filling the gap with styrene.
Here are a few photos of my Lindberg. 

ggeorge

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:39:17 am »

Linberg

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 03:00:32 pm »

Have a look in the main Mayhem sit in "Your Models" and scroll down to "Malcolm ..... Gytha".
The odd bits are probably items left in from when it was sold as a motorisable kit.  Mine had a tiller arm that got used.  The only extra waterproofing needed was to fit a high coaming for the superstructure to sit over. 
The deck edge was properly and fully sealed with styrene cement. 
No hole in the after deck (why, for goodness' sake?) - thats where the batteries live, two each side of the prop shaft, and the rudder linkage is carried over the deck.  Painting it red helps it to vanish.  The tiller arm lives under the grating which is retained by a bit of blue-tack.  This means that the working bits are accessible for servicing.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:29:57 pm »

Thankyou for posting the images, I had a quick look through the models section a few weeks ago but didn't find your Lindberg Tug then. I've mounted the charging socket and switch under the loose fitting funnel.

After a bit of a hiccup earlier in the week when the Tamiya Acrylic on the hull faded after a prolonged float in the bath and had to be resprayed & varnished, the Tug had it's first outing in anger at the duck pond at Chasewater in Staffordshire.

This link ought to take you to a mobile phone video of the Tug in action:

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/mov02845.mp4/

A boater with a R/C Jetski there recommended moving a couple of the cells back as it is a little bow heavy. I didn't try doing anything too ambitious as the hull and superstructure aren't fully sealed and the water was a bit choppy, but after 20 minutes running the hull was still dry inside and the modified servo motor cool.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:25:16 am »

The tug makes a great little rescue boat - all it needs is a few strips of elastic band of matching coloursticking to the front face of the moulded rope bumper on the bow.  This reduces the chance of the tug sliding off. 
Looked to be sailing great in the video.  It is a "good conditions" boat - the only times I saw real versions on Discovery was programs about the USCG, when the crews were being rescued just in time.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.