Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conficker virus  (Read 4546 times)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Conficker virus
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:00 am »

Just a note, not Conficker, but some other nasty.
Day before yesterday my computer's speakers suddenly started blasting out what sounded like an American radio station. It then proceeded to flick through various stations, then disappeared - but not for long ! My first reaction, as always, was to Google the symptoms to see if I was not alone - not a vast amount of correspondence but all suggested a safe start and run virus checker. In between frantic downloading anti everything software, the machine started to jump to IExplorer (I use Firefox) and go to random advert pages for poker and the suchlike.
To cut a long story short, one of the progs I downloaded was Windows Defender which I installed while my Virus prog was still chuntering through the machine. At the end of its installation it does a quick check and found a Malware bug (I think it was W32/Renos.CNZ) almost immediately. I killed the bug and as an extra precaution did a Restore to a week earlier, touch wood all seems to be back to normal. I did take Defender back off as it seems to slow the machine down in its watchdog mode
Not sure where I had been to pick it up, I had been looking to update Thunderbird and it didn't go right at the time. I might have gone to an iffy address without checking it out ?
Just in case anyone else suddenly gets frightened out of their wits by a 'God Loves You' station suddenly blasting out. (i know he does you don't have to shout  :D )

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.