Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: converting the trumpeter uss nimitz  (Read 12204 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
converting the trumpeter uss nimitz
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:51:08 am »

Hi, ages since ive been on here (again) though i think ill be on here fairly often now as ive finally started the trumpeter nimitz that ive been planning for ages. i pick up the kit next week so i started the aircraft over the weekend, and its been a nightmare finding the right colour mixture for them as im doing a mid to late 70's ish airwing unlike my enterprise. so they're high vis markings and not the more modern "grey" base colour, ive got pretty close so thats what there getting, once they're decaled up they'll look fine.

trumpeter planes are WAY better than the tamiya ones. seriously considering replacing the enterprise planes with trumpeter. clear canopies far better panel detailing etc. the tomcat wings are in the proper "oversweep" position as they are when stored on deck (tamiya are in the flying "swept" position) the decals for them are a touch disappointing though, compared to the ones ive ordered from the states (waiting to arrive), though mainly ordered them cos trumpeter dont give you decals for the "jolly Rogers" sqaudron 8) which are just about the coolest looking tomcats ever, makes no sense why trumpy didint do them

and unlike tamiya you dont have to cut the f14s up to change the wing position trumpeter give you optional wing pieces (all the planes are like kits in themselves.

not many pictures of nimitz from the period (on the net anyway) so the movie "Final Countdown" has been on alot.

will try to make this a proper build thread but prefer to spend the time building rather than taking pics  ;) i like fast progress, but ill keep it as up to date as i can

welcome back me!!! :}

Grant

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: converting the trumpeter uss nimitz
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:32:34 pm »

Welcome back Grant, all claims of AWAL will be dismissed after roll call.

How big is the Trumpiter Nimitz kit?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:53:12 pm »

thanks ok2,

its just shy of a meter (966mm), slightly shorter than the enterprise (1005mm), but still a pain to find room for :-)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:18 am »

slowly gettin through the planes, painting them on the sprues then adding the photo etch when built, still wating for the decals i ordered from the states apparently can take up to 8 weeks for delivery, which i think for what is essentially the size of a letter is ridiculous.

das boot

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:25:03 am »

Welcome back Grant, looking forward to reading your build up. Your Enterprise was pretty impressive...this one should be impressiver(that's not a word, is it?..oh well, you know what I mean!)

I'm STILL contemplating building the Enterprise... :embarrassed:

Go to it mate!

Rich

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:38 am »

thanks,

u should go for it, i find if you think about things too long it puts you of doing it, so now i just go for it and ask questions later.

yes im starting to think that this will turn out better than the enterprise, though to be honest the enterprise has been my best model for so long it seems a shame to replace it <:( <:(, its my flagship, but its innevitable that the things i learnt on the first will improve the second.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:05:18 am »

picking up the kit tomorrow !yyyaaayyy! decals arrived for the planes (very very good) putting the photo etch on them is becoming a tad tedious, i forgot how fiddly it was.

they go together well, though the tomcats need some adjustments. You have to cut off the mounting piece from the top of the main undercarriage for it to sit with a more acurate posture and the drop tanks have to be trimmed to give a more scale appearance (as shown in pics)

just as an idea of size and how accurate the decals are for such a small model the large model is a 1/72 scale

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:09:46 am »

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:21 am »

Hi there. You have done a nice job on the tom cat . I remember doing the planes on my friends USS Enterprise in hi vis colors ,what a night mare. I used I think it was gold medal model transfers or some thing with a similar name. It was a hell of a lot of work and that's one of the reason I have never started my Enterprise or Nimitz.I agree with you on that the Trumpeter planes are better that the taimya planes.

John

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:19:12 am »

Thanks, my enterprise was lo viz and so much easier, these are well worth the extra effort though

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:13:22 am »

so i picked it up, and just dove straight in, as feared i havent been taking as many pics as i should but i dont have as much time as i used to so prefer to just build, build, build :-)  detail is very good and it fits together really quite well indeed, the only concern is the "anchor" points that the aircraft are tied down to, they look slightly too large. the enterprise simply as dots for these which look scale but trumpy have actually recessed the deck and moulded the x shaped tie down points,

rather than filling them all (of which there are hundreds, and a lot of hassle) i think some clever painting is in order to give the illusion that they're smaller, they arent so bad that its unbearable to look at, and once everythings on the deck i dont think you'd really notice.

the 2 halves of the hull are together, elevators stuck in place, hangar doors closed, gun & missile platforms are in place

next thing to get are the props and photo etch which i believe for this kit i need two or three different sets which is expensive to say the least but theres a fair bit to get on with 'til the funds are available.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:39 am »

oh yeah those metal supports come pre fitted though i might have to remove them and replace them with something else, as all that metal might give interference but i'll have to see. if i put the receiver as far forward and away from them as possible i might get away with it

das boot

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »

Grant, what's your preference...the Tamiya or the Trumpeter?

Rich

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:00:38 am »

Nice work Grant, can't quite imagine you doing a model better than you did the Enterprise??? The detail in the aircraft though is amazing, it's gonna look superb when it's up an running on the laike!!

Say hi to your dad for me!

Voyager/Wayne

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 09:22:36 am »

thanks guys, im undecided yet Rich, the trumpeter planes are definately better but as far as the boat goes at the moment its too close to call. but i would definately use nothing but trumpy planes now.

last night i started painting the deck, loads of masking and remasking for the markings, very time consuming

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 07:39:27 pm »

deck markings coming along good, painted all the dots by hand  %%1 by 1 %% couldnt use a paint pen like the enterprise because they're recessed  so the enterprise took about an hour this one has taken what must be about 12.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »

Why don't you fit active stabilizers for stability, either with a gyro is one idea, or having a set up using just the rudders???

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:53 am »

ive been toying with ideas for somesort of stabiliser for a while for this and enterprise but unsure if its worth it as i only really use them on good days anyway and its only really the wind that affects them, its something to think about though, and ill cross that bridge when i start work poperly on the hull.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 11:26:29 am »

unfortunately i havent had alot of time to mess around taking photos so ive progressed without posting any, u havent missed much though it took me ages to get the photoetch parts and ive just pretty much finished the island.

i have however decided that i hate hand painting with tamiya paint maybe its just me but it just never seems to want to adhere properly when using it for very fine detail (humbrol all the way) its still great for airbrushing though

i appear to be losing my patience alot more with this model, maybe its just cos i know have less time these days to finish the parts i set out to do.

piccies soon hopefully

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:13 am »

Grant! Check out the topic "Most Realistic Model" as there are some pictures there that are right up your street, a perry class warship  ok2

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 01:29:18 pm »

basically finished the island with the photo etch, and used the "68" decal on the deck to make a stencil then airbrushed it on

steve pickstock

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 07:13:48 am »

Sweet!

gtb -red

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 02:53:14 pm »

very well done. :-)) 8)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 08:05:41 pm »

How did you get on with this ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »

Well its at a standstill at the moment just havent had the cash to get all the guts, but i popped up the lake today and was bitten by the bug again picturing it on the water so i really want to get going on it again now, and i want to finally finish the subs aswell
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.