Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Moon Landings ..... and any other urban conspiracies!  (Read 116740 times)

Dekan

Why lock it? There ar no controversial views here.... nothing that hasn't been said before...Nobody's mentioned JFK or Roswell yet  %)

The long Build

Why lock it? There ar no controversial views here.... nothing that hasn't been said before...Nobody's mentioned JFK or Roswell yet  %)

Well no conspiracy on Roswell is there?  we all know it was a crashed Alien Asgard ship.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

No need to lock the thread, it's still civilised - until the aliens take over that is.

Colin

The long Build

No need to lock the thread, it's still civilised - until the aliens take over that is.

Colin

And considering it has been running for 2 years is pretty good going.. We have seen threads locked after 1 post..

Dekan

Well no conspiracy on Roswell is there?  we all know it was a crashed Alien Asgard ship.

Nah it was a weather balloon...If you lock this thread.... somebody will only start another thread on a similar theme  :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Nah it was a weather balloon...If you lock this thread.... somebody will only start another thread on a similar theme 

Quite right, and it could be entitled 'Is there intelligent life on Mayhem'  :}

Colin

Spook

... 'Is there intelligent life on Mayhem'  :}

Colin
Only before the sun goes over the yard arm. ;-)

steamboatmodel

For the truth on Roswell just see "Independence Day" Then "Men in Black"
As for the Moon landings I was in High School at the time and we managed to pick up radio signals from the moon.
Regards,
Gerald.

ZZ56

On a more serious note, Tim Printy has compiled an excellent rundown on the Roswell case.  http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/Roswellmain.htm  It includes a lengthy summary of the event and a lot of side 'papers' dealing with particular claims made by people in the case.

RaaArtyGunner

And so the saga continues.

NASA launches satellites to map Moon
•   September 10, 2011 11:48PM
NASA today launched a $500 million pair of washing-machine-sized satellites on a mission to map the Moon's inner core for the first time.
The twin spacecraft took off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida on a three-month journey to the Moon at 9:08 am (local time) aboard a Delta II rocket.
"Liftoff of the Delta II with GRAIL, on a journey to the center of the moon," NASA commentator George Diller said upon blast-off of the GRAIL mission, which stands for Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory.
High upper level winds delayed the first launch attempt on Thursday, and also briefly set back today's launch.
The duo will travel to the Moon for more than three months, arriving into a polar lunar orbit one after the other around New Year's Day.
With one spacecraft trailing the other, the plan is for the two to use gravity tools to map the terrain beneath, revealing the contents of the inner core of the Moon, about which little is known.
The mission should also shed light on the unexplored far side of the Moon, and perhaps tell scientists whether there was once a second Moon that fused with ours.
"GRAIL will be the first mission to determine the internal structure of the Moon," program scientist Bobby Fogel said.
"We have used gravity science before to try to gain some insight as to what is going on inside the Moon, however these have been very primitive attempts.
"If those previous attempts could be likened to a magnifying glass, GRAIL by contrast would be a high-powered microscope."
Scientists believe that the Moon was formed when a planet-sized object crashed into the Earth, throwing off a load of material that eventually became what we now recognise as our planet's airless, desolate satellite.
How it heated up over time, creating a magma ocean that later crystallized, remains a mystery, despite 109 past missions to study the Moon since 1959, and the fact that 12 humans have walked on its surface.
A recent hypothesis that there may have been two Moons that slowly merged into each other can also be tested with this mission, said principal investigator Maria Zuber.
"If we want to reconstruct the evolution of the Moon over time, we certainly need to reconstruct the temperature structure of the Moon right now," she said.
Little is known for certain about what lies inside the Moon. The widely held belief that there is a small solid iron core surrounded by a liquid iron core is unproven, Ms Zuber said.
"It is actually quite possible that deep inside the Moon the core could be titanium oxide, which is a material that would have fallen out or would have crystallized out of the magma ocean and sunk to the deep interior of the Moon," she said.
Once the GRAIL twins enter the orbit of the Moon, they will line up with each other and "essentially chase each other around in a polar orbit as the Moon rotates slowly underneath them," Ms Zuber said.
They will hover about 55 kilometers above the lunar surface, with the distance between them ranging from 60 to 225 kilometers, collecting measurements of the terrain beneath.
The duo will accomplish the mission's primary aim of understanding the Moon's inner character by performing a series of low-altitude gravity field measurements using what is known as a Ka-band ranging instrument.
The mission itself is relatively short in duration, just 90 days once the two spacecraft reach orbit.
About 40 days after their work is done, the pair will plunge into the lunar surface, NASA said. Scientific analysis of their data is expected to continue for a year.
The project is part of NASA's Discovery program, which has launched 10 spacecraft since 1992 to study the solar system.
Last month, NASA launched its billion-dollar solar-powered spacecraft Juno on a five-year journey to Jupiter aiming to discover what makes up the solar system's biggest planet.
After GRAIL, the US space agency plans to launch its Mars Science Laboratory in November on a nearly two-year journey to the red planet.

tony52

the US space agency plans to launch its Mars Science Laboratory in November on a nearly two-year journey to the red planet.

The work and photography carried out by the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity has been excellent. It would appear that the red planet is another lifeless rock. Liquid (water?) looks as if it flowed on this planet billions of years ago. Any atmosphere this planet once had has been destroyed by the solar winds, fortunately for us the earth is protected against this.

fatcat123

Once again, people can't express an opinion without the other side taking offence and it all kicking off. Its pathetic.

This site is supposed to be fun, informative, but instead, its turning into utter misery.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer

The work and photography carried out by the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity has been excellent. It would appear that the red planet is another lifeless rock. Liquid (water?) looks as if it flowed on this planet billions of years ago. Any atmosphere this planet once had has been destroyed by the solar winds, fortunately for us the earth is protected against this.

I do seem to get drawn into these discussions, don't I?

One of the key recent findings from Spirit is the prevalence of sub-surface water on Mars. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/29/stuck-rover-finds-water

And there are continuous tantalising hints of recently flowing water. Certainly within the past million or so years - possibly still today. Here are some old comments: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10740-water-flows-on-mars-before-our-very-eyes.html and http://www.space.com/2340-gullies-mark-water-flow-mars.html , while here are some more recent ones: http://www.tgdaily.com/space-features/51482-water-abundant-in-mars-recent-past and http://freethoughtblogs.com/zingularity/2011/08/05/mars-reconnaissance-finds-evidecne-of-recent-water/ .

It looks as if the planet is still quite geologically active, and there is quite a lot going on just under the soil.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

Once again, people can't express an opinion without the other side taking offence and it all kicking off. Its pathetic.

This site is supposed to be fun, informative, but instead, its turning into utter misery.

That's because people with similar opinions to you (the landings were fake) cast off many thousand's of people's work, sometimes a lifetime of work stretching many years from Project Mercury to Project Apollo, as mere myth. I fail to understand how or why you and others dont grasp that concept. Perhaps you could post a build thread of a boat then we could all claim you didnt build it and you have merely lifted the pictures from another site or just photoshopped someone else's project?

OK, it doesnt have the same world wide impact but people would still be dismissing your work. Maybe you wouldnt be bothered (I mean in reality who would?) because its just 'your' boat and insignificant in the scheme of things. But imagine for a moment, it wasnt insignificant.

I find it particularly annoying that the fake landing people always trot out the same line that others 'believe what their Government tells them and dont investigate.' How ironic and incorrect. I dont just 'accept' what others say in such situations. I investigate and I also know through that investigation that not one of the fake landing theories stands up to that investigation.

This is an excellent article about conspiracy believers. Its not about the moon landings but the theme is the same.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100102988/ten-years-after-911-the-conspiracy-theorist-nutjobs-are-still-telling-lies/

Before we congratulate ourselves on standing shoulder to shoulder with America after 9/11, perhaps we ought to consider the following shameful statistic from a BBC poll: a quarter of young Britons believe that the attacks were carried out by the government of the United States.

Some conspiracy theories are plausible. I’ve read books about JFK’s assassination that make sense for at least the first 50 pages. (My favourite is David Scheim’s investigative study, whose title subtly guides the reader towards the identity of the culprits. It’s called The Mafia Killed President Kennedy.) But to believe that the CIA demolished the Twin Towers you have to be a) mad, b) malicious, c) intellectually lazy or d) drunk – Charlie Sheen is a voluble 9/11 sceptic.

The events of September 11, 2001 inevitably threw up lots of supposed anomalies for conspiracy theorists to sink their unbrushed teeth into. This was the most complicated terrorist atrocity ever committed: three sets of mass murders, plotted in at least five countries, by a fanatical sub-sect of Islam whose paranoid modus operandi was a mystery to nearly everyone, including its members.

The problem for 9/11 conspiracy merchants is that none of the anomalies amounts to much on its own. It’s surprising that the 7 World Trade Center building collapsed despite not being hit by a plane – surprising, that is, if you choose not to believe the structural engineers who discovered how uncontrolled fires caused support columns to collapse. And that’s the strongest so-called anomaly: other “clues”, such as the supposed missile-shaped hole in the Pentagon and the alleged lack of debris at the crash site in Pennsylvania, turn to dust as soon as you look at photographs other than the ones carefully chosen by conspiracy theorists.

But the 9/11 deniers have two mighty weapons. One is technological. In the age of the internet, if you don’t want to read evidence that contradicts your fantasies, then you don’t need to. Just visit one of hundreds of websites that will supply you with freshly minted “evidence” to replace any bits of your theory that have fallen apart on you.

The other weapon is cultural. Thanks, in part, to multiculturalism, facts have been reduced to accessories in the West’s intellectual wardrobe. The postmodern message is that your version of reality is part of you; don’t let inconvenient truths damage your customised worldview and your self-esteem.

It’s an irony that, in America, an intellectual method derived from quasi-Marxist identity politics is borrowed by the Right-wing nutjobs who increasingly dominate the 9/11-denier community. In Britain, however, conspiracy theories serve as a bridge between the “intellectual” Left and their allies. A Pew Global Attitudes poll found that only 17 per cent of British Muslims believed that Arabs were involved in the September 11 attacks, as opposed to 48 per cent of French Muslims.

Why is there such a difference between Britain and France? Perhaps because our education system is not so much secular as multiculturalist. The mantra of the 1960s generation was, if it feels good, do it. Today we’re told that if it feels good, believe it – particularly if you belong to a minority group that, by virtue of past suffering, is morally obliged to challenge the official (that is, fact-based) “narrative” of historical events. To quote an old Scientology slogan: “If it’s true for you, it’s true.”

That’s not just a triumph for the forces of ignorance; it’s also, 10 years on, a little posthumous victory for Osama bin Laden.

Dekan

Usually you don't have to look far to find the nay sayers motives ...They have a book, article or film to sell  :}

RaaArtyGunner

Here is a thought, where do we think the world would be today if the diehard believers had their way.

For instance the believers claimed the world is flat, all the evidence and research blah blah proves it.

Yet the unbelievers persevered and eventually were proved right, the world is round.

Philosophers and scientists, have questioned the "Status quo" on many issues and hence, man has made advances.

For every bit of "evidence", the believers provide, the unbelievers can counter.

Score at the end of the day Nil Nil.

It is wrong to make assumptions, I don't recall saying I was a sceptic, but what I did say is, I have not been convinced and have an open mind on the subject.

Whereas  the Diehard believers do not have an open mind, as is evidenced by the commentary on this subject, such as you are all wrong lock the thread.

Fortunately, there are still those among us, who are capable of thinking for themselves and applying commonsense, logic etc.

"The truth is out there"  O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

Here is a thought, where do we think the world would be today if the diehard believers had their way.

For instance the believers claimed the world is flat, all the evidence and research blah blah proves it.

Yet the unbelievers persevered and eventually were proved right, the world is round.

Philosophers and scientists, have questioned the "Status quo" on many issues and hence, man has made advances.

For every bit of "evidence", the believers provide, the unbelievers can counter.

Score at the end of the day Nil Nil.

It is wrong to make assumptions, I don't recall saying I was a sceptic, but what I did say is, I have not been convinced and have an open mind on the subject.

Whereas  the Diehard believers do not have an open mind, as is evidenced by the commentary on this subject, such as you are all wrong lock the thread.

Fortunately, there are still those among us, who are capable of thinking for themselves and applying commonsense, logic etc.

"The truth is out there"  O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)

Yes, well what proof do you have that the world isnt flat? And if you havent got any proof you want to share with us, on what would you base the premise the world isnt flat?

tony52

I do seem to get drawn into these discussions, don't I?

One of the key recent findings from Spirit is the prevalence of sub-surface water on Mars. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/29/stuck-rover-finds-water

And there are continuous tantalising hints of recently flowing water. Certainly within the past million or so years - possibly still today. Here are some old comments: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10740-water-flows-on-mars-before-our-very-eyes.html and http://www.space.com/2340-gullies-mark-water-flow-mars.html , while here are some more recent ones: http://www.tgdaily.com/space-features/51482-water-abundant-in-mars-recent-past and http://freethoughtblogs.com/zingularity/2011/08/05/mars-reconnaissance-finds-evidecne-of-recent-water/ .

It looks as if the planet is still quite geologically active, and there is quite a lot going on just under the soil.

dg makes some excellent points here re:Mars - for anyone who is interested in this planet, last weeks The Sky at Night features this planet and is well worth watching on iplayer.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer

What happened to sea monsters, ectoplasm, fairies, flying saucers in the shape of hub caps, not forgetting the fad for triangular 'military' UFOs of the 1980s, oh, and wizards...
A product of their time, nobody believes in Ectoplasm and fairies, simple photographic forgery of the age, hub caps on bits of string, looked like the movies of the time, must be true.
However, I hate being a debunker, its easy but its nice to have a little bit of mystery in the world, and you never know, maybe it was the RMS Olympic not Titanic, and there might just be sea monsters lurking in our deep oceans...long may it continue.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

RaaArtyGunner

Yes, well what proof do you have that the world isnt flat? And if you havent got any proof you want to share with us, on what would you base the premise the world isnt flat?

Is one of us is standing on their head  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Or have we been brainwashed  O0 O0 {-) {-) because the blood would have drained from one of our brains O0 O0 O0

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

Is one of us is standing on their head  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Or have we been brainwashed  O0 O0 {-) {-) because the blood would have drained from one of our brains O0 O0 O0

I dont know, I cant see you and I've never travelled to your part of the world. And even if you showed me tv pictures that you are not standing on your head, how do I know its not a trick?

Just asking like.

mikearace

Doesnt seem that long ago in parliamentary debates, and elsewhere, that anyone who said they didnt believe Saddam Hussain had any WMDs was ridiculed to the point of derision as being ignorant of cast iron factual evidence that couldnt be denied.  It was undeniable that they did exist we were told as the facts spoke for themselves and any accusations that the then government were making it up were shameful as they would never make up such lies to fool joe public would they?

Not quite the same as the Moon Landings or 9/11 I know but still a very real example of how not everything is at appears that we are told it is.      

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

MPs will believe anything.

Nobody in their right minds ever believed that Saddam Hussein's WMD could threaten the UK within 40 minutes.

Unfortunately a lot of people weren't in their right minds - and probably still aren't.

And it is on that basis of ignorance that political decisions are made.

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

Doesnt seem that long ago in parliamentary debates, and elsewhere, that anyone who said they didnt believe Saddam Hussain had any WMDs was ridiculed to the point of derision as being ignorant of cast iron factual evidence that couldnt be denied.  It was undeniable that they did exist we were told as the facts spoke for themselves and any accusations that the then government were making it up were shameful as they would never make up such lies to fool joe public would they?

Not quite the same as the Moon Landings or 9/11 I know but still a very real example of how not everything is at appears that we are told it is.      

Those examples are nothing like the moon landings.

Its a shame more people didnt see the programme on Discovery(?) today which examined all the fake moon landing claims. The people stated why they were faked then their claims were factually disproved. Every one of them.

ZZ56

WMD is such a dumb term.  The proper acronym is NBC - Nuclear, Biological and Chemical agents, and yes Saddam did have a fair stock of the latter.  Whether they could cause 'mass' destruction is doubtful as they were in the form of conventional artillery shells. 

None of these tinpot dictatorships have the DELIVERY VEHICLE to turn their NBC agents into weapons of mass destruction- a key factor that always gets ignored in these debates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.