Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moon Landings ..... and any other urban conspiracies!  (Read 116746 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!

Hi all, before the EU forced us to clean up our beaches 'floaters' were not an uncommon sight on some beaches.  So they do exist! 
Sometimes it was so bad that you couldn't actually swim, you just went though the motions.  :o

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos

So there is a group of people saying the earth is flat.

Another group says the earth is hollow.

Regarding the Moon conspiracy NASA had 180 thousand people working for them as immediate staff.

Add all the other people in and the figure climbs to 400 thousand.

How did the US Government keep them all quiet?

One of the latest theories for 9/11 is that the planes were not real but holograms.

Please do not start me off about Sasquatch. :) :)

Regards

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer

Trying to understand with a virtual ZERO atmospheric pressure on the Moon, why didn't the bags of human waste float off into space or orbit?......so when I asked Google this question......

It [Google] took over into Quora   :o  & confirmed my question has been asked to a technical authority :P & I would be answered

Anyone else experienced such a Google response? :embarrassed:
You do know there is a difference between air and gravity?
We have an atmosphere on Earth because air has mass, and is attracted to the nearest large mass, i.e. the center of the Earth.  Result is about 14PSI at sea level.  But the reason we do not float off is because of our mass being pulled downwards rather than the weight of the air above us pushing down.  The Moon is a lot smaller and has less gravity, and has not been able to retain an atmosphere - the solar wind blew it away. Solid, dense items just sit there on the surface.  Liquids, due to being in a vacuum, stop being liquids and get the solar wind treatment.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

So does that mean the crap does not smell?  {-) {-)
Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer

So does that mean the crap does not smell?  {-) {-)
Roy
Thats like the tree falling with nobody to hear it. 
But remember the story of the lumberjack who broke wind in midwinter, and it didn't gp "Phrrrrt" until mid May when the thaw set in.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs

Given that the waste bags have out-gassed, been boiled (120℃) and frozen (-170℃) over six hundred times in the past nearly-fifty years, I doubt there's much risk of smell at all!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!

The smell comes from bacterial activity - and the surface of the moon is a pretty tough place for life so it's all going to be dead - and the radiation levels over that time will have sterilised it.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hi all, before the EU forced us to clean up our beaches 'floaters' were not an uncommon sight on some beaches.  So they do exist!  Roy

More commonly known as "Mersey Trout" around here, when I was somewhat younger!

LB

JimG

• Full Mayhemer

You do know there is a difference between air and gravity?
We have an atmosphere on Earth because air has mass, and is attracted to the nearest large mass, i.e. the center of the Earth.  Result is about 14PSI at sea level.  But the reason we do not float off is because of our mass being pulled downwards rather than the weight of the air above us pushing down.  The Moon is a lot smaller and has less gravity, and has not been able to retain an atmosphere - the solar wind blew it away. Solid, dense items just sit there on the surface.  Liquids, due to being in a vacuum, stop being liquids and get the solar wind treatment.
It's a quite sensible though for someone down under. After all for those of us on the topside gravity is pulling us down and holding us on the earth. Once you get to Oz on the bottom of the earth this pull will be taking them away from the earth so it must be air pressure holding them down.  {-) {-) %)
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

Trying to understand with a virtual ZERO atmospheric pressure on the Moon, why didn't the bags of human waste float off into space or orbit?......so when I asked Google this question......

It [Google] took over into Quora   :o  & confirmed my question has been asked to a technical authority :P & I would be answered

Anyone else experienced such a Google response? :embarrassed:
Gravity. The Moon has some, about 1\6th that of Earth. It just means 6lbs of poop weighs around 1lbs on the Moon. Gravity pulls any any object down toward the centre of the Moon or any other body. it doesnt matter whether you are at the Moon's south pole or north pole, you'll always be pulled towards the centre of the Moon. Ergo the poop bags dont float away.
BTW, this is a good video about why the Moon landing pictures were not faked.
https://youtu.be/_loUDS4c3Cs

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

It is nice to know that you don't get your own back when peeing into the solar wind, or do you?  I mean how many people do you know that have peed into the solar wind?  So we can't be certain that it is true.  I remain a septic.

Roy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

It is nice to know that you don't get your own back when peeing into the solar wind, or do you?  I mean how many people do you know that have peed into the solar wind?  So we can't be certain that it is true.  I remain a septic.

Roy
Erm, your urine,  along with your other bodily fluids would boil if you tried it. It's not really the solar wind that is the issue, it is the fact you're in a near vacuum. It is easily proved on Earth that fluids including bodily fluids boil in a vacuum.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer

This thread is getting silly.  I really hope no "body fluids" were left behind as this would spoil the cheese.
Yes, the moon has been proven to be made of cheese, see the Wallace & Grommit documentary.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Ken G121

• Full Mayhemer

I think the Russians hate the yanks so much if it had been a hoax they would have put great effort into exposing it.
Man will return one day if only to find that golf ball and put it on eBay!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!

Erm, you p*ss along with your other bodily fluids would boil if you tried it. It's not really the solar wind that is the issue, it is the fact you're in a near vacuum. It is easily proved on Earth that fluids including bodily fluids boil in a vacuum.
They actually freeze. As the low pressure causes any dissolved gasses to expand it fizzes like coke but as gas molecules leave the liquid, they lower the temperature of the remaining liquid until it freezes solid - stopping any further out-gassing. Then it starts to thaw which then the liquid evaporates and freezes the bulk again.

This is really annoying in high-vacuum work when trying to find a leak within a water-cooled chamber. You get surges of good vacuum and then poor vacuum - and then good again.

I used to run cyclotrons and an equivalent leak of a coke-can full every 30 years would stop us dead.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Moon Landings ..... and any other urban conspiracies!
« Reply #416 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:08 pm »

...So Malcolm says......" You do know there is a difference between air and gravity "

......errr...I do not know that your explanation made any clear reference to a definition between the two   :o

Saying that you have a 250gm packet of salted vinegar chips in a cardboard box in a plastic bag in my left hand does not necessarily let me understand why the will fall to my toes if the both the packet & the bag are opened  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #417 on: January 23, 2019, 11:07:21 pm »

They won't fall anywhere.
One of my grand daughters will have eaten them.  :embarrassed:

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:51 am »

...So Malcolm says......" You do know there is a difference between air and gravity? "
......errr...I do not know that your explanation made any clear reference to a definition between  :o   the two [/size][/font] (size corrected)- You do know there is a difference between air and gravity?"......errr...I do not know that your explanation made any clear reference to a definition between the two

Saying that you have a 250gm packet of salted vinegar chips in a cardboard box in a plastic bag in my left hand does not necessarily let me understand why the will fall to my toes if the both the packet & the bag are opened  {-)

Derek

All otherwise unsupported items that have mass are attracted to a nearby mass.  The one that wins on this planet is the planet.  Unsupported stuff will head for the planet core by the shortest route, i.e., down.  As an experiment, if you let go the plastic bag containing the cardboard box it will exhibit the same behaviour, dropping floorwards.  It isn't air pushing down, its gravity pulling.  It also keeps the air in place, which is generally a good thing.  The presence of air will actually slow down the rate of fall.  I believe that something like this was demonstrated on the (actually visited) moon involving a feather and a hammer dropped by an astronaut, which both fell (under the influence of the Moon's gravity) to the Moon's surface simultaneously. 
The original "Things Dropping" thing was noted by Isaac Newton, who went away and had a think about it before calling the effect "Gravity".
Of course, if it is an individually packaged Walkers crisp, in the presence of air, it might blow away before it get to floor level, but thats aerodynamics.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

They actually freeze. As the low pressure causes any dissolved gasses to expand it fizzes like coke but as gas molecules leave the liquid, they lower the temperature of the remaining liquid until it freezes solid - stopping any further out-gassing. Then it starts to thaw which then the liquid evaporates and freezes the bulk again.

This is really annoying in high-vacuum work when trying to find a leak within a water-cooled chamber. You get surges of good vacuum and then poor vacuum - and then good again.

I used to run cyclotrons and an equivalent leak of a coke-can full every 30 years would stop us dead.
I wouldnt disagree. As air pressure reduced, the 'boiling' point of a liquid reduces. Hence if you want to make a cup of tea at the top of Everest, the boiling point of the water is a lot less than at sea level.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2019, 05:55:00 am »

BBC: Why so many people believe conspiracy theories
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-47144738

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.