Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How did we ever manage without 'elf & safety?  (Read 7475 times)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
How did we ever manage without 'elf & safety?
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:31:33 pm »

Bought some drawing pins from WH Smith today and found this label on the bottom
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

andyn

Re: How did we ever manage without 'elf & safety?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:40 pm »

How did we ever manage without 'elf & safety?

A lot better than we do now.

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:57 pm »

The problem is not rules about H & S it is about greedy folk making claims, irresponsible lawyers supporting them and businesses taking excessive steps to protect themselves.

In the example you give, it is easier, quicker and cheaper for Smith's to apply the label and when they get a claim to refer to the label, rather than defend a claim which they would most likely win in any case.

Roger in France

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »

But who looks at the bottom of a container to see if a box of drawing pins contains anything dangerous, would the label not be better on say the LID !!

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:18:37 pm »

But who looks at the bottom of a container to see if a box of drawing pins contains anything dangerous, would the label not be better on say the LID !!
Obviiously you are a "where there's blame there's a claim " lawyer :}

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:24:00 pm »

Obviiously you are a "where there's blame there's a claim " lawyer :}

Oh I wish , then I would be reading this from my 1 of my Villas in the mountain side like Footski  :}

Health & safety I believe has its place when applied by someone with a bit of sense , so does commone sense and some people just should not be allowed out..  Some health & safety people should be given a good... Talking to.

chingdevil

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:16 pm »

Forget the elf and safety bit, what the hell is a functional sharp point %% %% %% %%

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:04:43 pm »

not sure , press your finger on the pointy end bit , see what happens.. {-) 

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:13:55 pm »

He can't, as Brian has got on his saftey gloves, goggles, ear plugs and steel toecaps cos he's following the H&S guidelines, oh and a first aider on standby.  :-))

Oh and a hard hat.....

Steamed up all the time

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:54 pm »

I was jolly glad of the safety warning on the sack of peanuts I bought from the RSPB - "WARNING - MAY CONTAIN NUTS!" I mean, who knows what might have been in there?

craftysod

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »

Yeah but Phil
He is not wearing his HI VIS jacket so no one can spot Brian when he hurts his finger,
remember when somebody sued mcdonalds,cos there apple pie was hot,and there was no warning on packet

The long Build

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 08:29:03 pm »

Yeah but Phil
He is not wearing his HI VIS jacket so no one can spot Brian when he hurts his finger,
remember when somebody sued mcdonalds,cos there apple pie was hot,and there was no warning on packet

yes anfd that person should have had their voting rights taken away and locked up for being stupid..   I love the warnings in most places now above the HOT water tap , "Warning water may be hot" !!!  daaaa.

andyn

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:31:40 pm »

I was jolly glad of the safety warning on the sack of peanuts I bought from the RSPB - "WARNING - MAY CONTAIN NUTS!" I mean, who knows what might have been in there?
Peanuts aren't nuts.

The long Build

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:10 pm »

Peanuts aren't nuts.

I'm Listening

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »

I am playing the devils advocate here, I hate these stupid pc cretins but>>>>
I don't understand why the container doesn't bear the following label:

Warning! Glass container!
                                                                    Handle with care
                                                If dropped will shatter, creating sharp edges .
                                                Wear safety goggles and gloves when handling

It could be constued as being more dangerous than the contents. If you dropped the jar, breaking it and scattering the contents, you would be able to collect all of the contents as you can easily see them. You cannot always see slivers of broken glass and if a child got a piece in his foot and ended up in hospital with an infection, I bet a smart multi million pound lwayer could claim for damages from the supplier.

Now thats the kind of thinking I loath and detest in this modern 'grab at it' society we now live in.
 How did we manage before all this stupidity? Well, we cut ourselves on something,swore profusely, sucked on the wound, spat out the blood and damned well got on with it... thats what we did!

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »

I'm Listening

They belong to the same family as beans & peas
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:23:15 pm »

He can't, as Brian has got on his saftey gloves, goggles, ear plugs and steel toecaps cos he's following the H&S guidelines, oh and a first aider on standby.  :-))

Oh and a hard hat.....

I would also expect that a tool box talk has been carried out along with the required permits and risk assessment forms filled in correctly, then if the procedures are not followed to the letter all the above have to be redone with the new risk assessment and form filling etc etc.

And lets not forget the need for signs and barriers to stop any one that was not in on the risk assessment or tool box talks from entering into a dangerous work area, don't forget to carry out the required risk assessment on erecting the signs and barriers so that they do not restrict emergency services attending the possibly fatal out come from not following the HSE guidelines

You would think I am some sort of registered safety officer  <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:39 am »

Forget the elf and safety bit, what the hell is a functional sharp point %% %% %% %%

They're sharp points that function very well if you sit on them, or poke them into any other part of your anatomy  {-) {-)

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 03:07:12 am »

Wing nuts aren't nut either, but can break your teeth if you try chewing them  %)

You can't put milk of magnesia into your coffee.

An olive from a hardware store could cause indigestion.

So perhaps the warning on the Peanut packet should say, 'Warning does not contain nuts'

But as has been pointed out, a lot of these warning are not to protect the consumer from thier own stupidity but to protect the company from litigation.
We have moved into a 'blame/victim/entitiled' culture. "I am a victim, they are to blame, I am entitled to sue for as much as I can get".
The US is perhaps further down this slippery slope than the EU. China on the other hand does not allow this type of litigation. There was a groups of cases recently and the lawyers were 'called in' to a government office. Nobody knows what was discussed, but only one of the lawyers continued to pursue the cases. My guess is they were told, 'you will not be allowed to pursue stupidly large claims'.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:08:36 am »

How did we manage before elf and safety?

Well for quiet a few of the older 'chippies' (carpenters) that I saw, 'wifaht fumbs'.

I think H&S at work has also made more aware of H&S at home. For example, the other day I was cutting wood with a power saw. Nowadays I always wear gardening gloves, not an intuitive thing to do. As it was I managed to accidentally colide with the blade whilst examining a piece immediatley arfter cutting. Without the glove it would have been a trip to the hospital, and in a strange country that would be daunting.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:06:33 am »

How did we manage before elf and safety?
Well for quiet a few of the older 'chippies' (carpenters) that I saw, 'wifaht fumbs'.

ALWAYS keeping BOTH hands behind the cutting edge of a tool was only one of the things that was repeatedly reinforced upon me in my GCE woodworking classes in the 1960's.  It was sound, practical advice.  I would have thought that any trained carpenter would have been taught the same way?

I still have all of my digits...

Malc

nick_75au

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 06:26:32 am »

I was thinking that if the packet doesn't contain nuts what does it contain :o

Nick

das boot

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 06:47:45 am »

Before 'elf n' safety came along, didn't we all use good old fashioned common sense?

Rich

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 06:57:46 am »

You are not allowed to use common sense, I now have to sit through a risk assessment practical and exam for IOSH (institute of Safety & Health) all day today. Oh what fun.

I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

ZZ56

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 08:15:11 am »

It's always been around.

I have my grandfathers' copies of Audel's woodworking books and not only are they delightfully snippy towards know-nothings, they stress safety at all times.  And they were printed in 1946. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.