Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese Junk  (Read 8878 times)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Chinese Junk
« on: December 25, 2008, 10:51:11 pm »

No, we're not discussing those cheap RTR boats mentioned elsewhere on the forum - I'm interested to see if anyone has built a large scale RC junk since its something I've wanted to build for my first scratch sailboat. 

I downloaded a set of plans for Chinese & Vietnamese junks from BestShipModels which I'll scale up to 1/24 providing a model of manageable size. The Chinese version is a sha chuan or flat bottom "sand ship" used over the centuries in the inland waters & bays around the region. Aside from adding a detachable fin keel, I plan to keep it as basic as the working boat its based upon.  Since I tend to think outside the box I'll think of it as my EOM (Eccentric One Meter) Design.  ;)

I've got a few projects to get out of the way before I start on this & wanted to see if anyone else has built one to learn a few tips.  One the existing builds includes a conversion of Trumpeter's 60cm Cheng Ho kit that is based upon the huge fu chuan treasure junks built for the long Ming Dynasty exploration voyages of the early 1400s.  It's a 1/150 scale static kit built as a motorized showboat & will not be equipped with working rig.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

John C

Re: Chinese Junk
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 11:33:01 am »

Mike Mayhew of Waverley models has one on his website that I saw on a visit to his workshop one time, said it sailed very well.
Might be worth giving him a call as he gives advise freely when ever I've called in, which isn't very often.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:39:29 pm »

Mike Mayhew of Waverley models has one on his website that I saw on a visit to his workshop one time, said it sailed very well.
Might be worth giving him a call as he gives advise freely when ever I've called in, which isn't very often.

John

Hi John

Is this based on his Y2K hull?

Merry xmas
Mark
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:34:52 pm »

3 masts & sails!  That's going to be an interesting control setup!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:51:52 pm »

Thanks gents.  Yes, I've already written to Mike @ Waverly earlier this week & will look forward to speaking with him once he's back from holiday.

Perhaps we can get Mark to build one so we can have junk races on Xi Hu.  :-))

Chuck

"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

John C

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:53:58 am »

Hi Mark
The one I saw was based on his Y2K, this was a few years ago when I picked up my Y2K hull from him.
If you click onto the picture of the junk on his web site, it expands and to show Mike launching another model junk on the sea pool, and says he does several versions.
I think the sails are controlled by way of the masts turning as in the footy junk by Mike, perhaps one of the SWAMBC guys could confirm this?

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:34 am »

Perhaps we can get Mark to build one so we can have junk races on Xi Hu.  :-))

Perhaps

I still need to finish the Mousoon, and I have a small animatronics project.
I wanted to do a Junk in 2009.

What scale are you going to use Chuck?
As is or scale up?

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:33:32 pm »

Mark,

Probably 1//24 which makes the sha chuan 1.2 x 0.3 x 0.8m.  Was in SHA today at Yi Feng & showed them photos of the Trumpy kit that I purchased from them on my last visit.  They seemed surprised that a laowai would convert it into RC.  Showed them the plans for this one & they got REAL excited! :o

Chuck

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »

Looks like a great project...
 :-))

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:20:40 am »

Thanks Umi.  You should build one yourself to go alongside that lovely Dragon Boat you just finished.   :-))

A war junk could take warship combat to a whole new level since the Chinese were quite inventive when it came to early weapon platforms.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t2462.html

Chuck

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:29:39 am »

Well gentlemen (& Umi), the build has finally begun.  I've got the frames & keel cut & plan to start assembling these tonight.  Planking begins as soon as I get back from Shanghai after buying up what's left of Yi Feng's balsa stock. 

I'll post some photos later this week but here's a few of a static model from Vietnam that is close to what mine will look like.  Personally, I think it lacks some character & is too pretty for what I hope to build.  ;)

Chuck

John C

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 02:40:38 pm »

Hows this build going?...........I for 1 am interested.

John C

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »

Slowly, ever slowly but surely its coming along.  At least its beginning to look more than just a pile of "junk".   ;)

I'll post some photos of the hull when I have some time this weekend.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 08:45:55 am »

As the old saying goes, "better late than never"!

Here are a few photos of the hull as she currently sits. The plans offer a more rounded chine that what I wish I had originally gone with but overall I'm happy with the result, especially after having seen a few working junks & sampans down on the coast. When it comes to planking, they were never designed to be a pretty boat.

I've got a few more planks to finish the hull before starting on the mast sockets, equipment trays & fin box for the removable keel.

Chuck

barryfoote

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:36:58 am »

Coming along very nicely. Did you plank it with balsa? Are you going to fibre glass the hull?

Barry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:43:18 am »

Glad to see she is coming along.  :-))
Too much time spent with ruddy Monsoons, and not enough time spent with REAL models methinks  O0 {-)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:58 am »

Yes, its balsa & will be glassed with lightweight 2.5oz cloth to try to keep some of the character intact.  After seeing the real thing up close, I swear they use more concrete to patch the chinks between the logs than I have on my driveway.  I won't be trying to emulate that part of the original build!

No, its not the Monsoons... too much time spent on the boss' bloody honey do list.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.