Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Speak  (Read 5372 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
New Speak
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:34:11 am »

Its interesting reading threads by various members on various topics. I've learned a lot on many different subjects. However, I've noticed recently there is a new "language"creeping into our usage. It has no capitols, no punctuation, no beginning and no end to sentences and spelling that sometimes leaves me scratching my shiny scalp as to what the writer meant. I know we all make spelling errors, but this new "language" is repetitive and consistent in its production.   For example "wud" for "would".
  I have to think this is the new language, and spelling of the future based on phone texting. Am I wrong? If not, what? If I'm right,  where does this lead? I don't phone text, in fact I don't use a cell phone much at all, so I find it hard to follow these type of written  conversations at times. The ages of the perpetrators seems to be in the younger age brackets as opposed to seniors in training such as myself.
  Just an observation.

John

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Speak
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:41:13 am »

yes, text speak (txtspk) is coming into the world, however it came from trying to get as many words in a 160 character message as possible, hence droppings of commas, full stops, and changing many words to 3 letters etc.

more than likely it will remain in the realm of text speak

I wander how mayhemmer's would cope if all posts could be no longer than 160 characters per post
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:02:36 am »

it wud b a flpn n.mare-i njoy usin gramr in my psts-i also kno how 2 spk usin txtspk- jst a matr of knowin wen n wer 2 use it!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:37:18 am »

Dear John,

Unfortunately much of this is due to the education system - in the UK anyway.

As to punctuation, well, mention a colon or semicolon to most youngsters and they say, "isn't this to do with the body somewhere"! As to the use of the above within text, well, not much hope these days! Punctuation - and it's correct usage - is very much a personal thing (but does not mean no punctuation at all!). There is the element of laziness or simply 'not bothered', and 'too much trouble' attitude I suppose...

Spelling. Mayhem has a vg. spell check, but it doesn't seem to get used too much sometimes!!! :}

Homo sapiens started with grunts, and I have been wondering this last few years whether it is heading back to the start!!! - or back to the future... whichever way you want to look at it!

Regards, Bernard

steamboatbob

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:53:12 am »

I have to admit is isn't just in the UK

a young apprentice at my work cannot spell, or write letters,  it really amazes me that people like this fall through the school systems without the ability to comprehend some basic items.

It is a darn shame really.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:27:14 pm »

Hi Steamboatbob,

It wouldn't amaze you if you knew how the education authorities saw apprenticeship schemes- the LEA's in every council around the country have to account themselves for the education they provide- hence they always try to get their pupils to go onto further education.

The badly behaved ones, the ones that could never be bothered or the ones that have 'problems at home' are all pushed towards vocational 'careers'- usually building trade.

This means that generally it is underachievers and misbehavers who go into a trade, usually willingly it has to be said- though not in every case!

The higher achievers are left with the choice of college/uni' or career- most opting for college then uni'- after all who wants to work when you can toss it off for a few years at taxpayers expense and ring up a debt that some never intend to pay back.

I personally bucked the trend- I was in the top 10% when I left school and was offered a scholorship at a private school in 'mathematics in chemistry'. I refused this and chose instead to do a 5 year plumbing apprenticeship- I now have skills- both practical and social- that will last me a lifetime and let me support my family- if only schools sw it that way!

Greg

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:28:56 pm »

Dear John,

Unfortunately much of this is due to the education system - in the UK anyway.

Homo sapiens started with grunts, and I have been wondering this last few years whether it is heading back to the start!!! - or back to the future... whichever way you want to look at it!

Regards, Bernard

Bernard:

Unfortunately Canada's education system is no better.

After having raised two teenagers, and worked as a volunteer in a couple of local high schools, I have to agree with your second point.  {-)

John

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:03 pm »

Dear Bob,

I agree with you. It is indeed a pity, since, should they wish to advance themselves in their career or job, they will not have 'all' the tools to help them along the way. They might be brilliant at their actual job, but what happens when they might have to start writing job reports and assessments.......?

Regards, Bernard

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:06 pm »

I agree with you. It is indeed a pity, since, should they wish to advance themselves in their career or job, they will not have 'all' the tools to help them along the way. They might be brilliant at their actual job, but what happens when they might have to start writing job reports and assessments.......?

Regards, Bernard

I have to strongly disagree with you there- the education system provides for those that want it, just. For those that don't want educating they fob off with a vocational job and expect the employers to pick up the peices- but unless they want the job in the first instant they usually don't last more than 6months in employment.

This is not a failing of the education they get at school, but a reflection of the values most youths are 'taught' at home, or lack thereof.

I know what i'm talking about here- my mum works as a teaching assistant in a school that has quite a rough catchment, and I work for a housing assosciation in what is a majority of people that don't work for a living- i've had 3 people tell me that it's pointless working and I should just claim benifits- imagine growing up in a household with values like that- you would have no self-respect or motivation- then imagine being the teacher who has these poor kids come into your classroom, it's always been hard to teach kids something they see as irrelevant- but with attitudes like that you can't teach them anything.

Greg

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 01:39:18 pm »

Sorry, the "New" language hasn't been invented by the kiddywinks, 'cos they haven't even heard of the Telex. If any one has had to send a "Familygram" and for the Submariners on a "Sneaky" boat, that means 20 words at the start of a patrol and twenty words just before return, you learn how to get 56 "Words" in a twtywrdspc.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:12 pm »

Dear Greg,

True what you say re 'the home' and it's influence over children/youths. If there is no 'direction' at home what chance do the offspring have. 

One of my cousins was a teacher (London area). She decided to move to part-time for a while but was begged to go back - which she did for a few years - but, finding the pupils were becoming even more unteachable and undisciplined, she took early retirement. I wonder how many other good teachers have similarly abandoned the educational system?

Dear Ian,

Abbreviation for right time, right place, as said before. The trouble is when such creeps into common usage, the art of correct written communication suffers... and with youngsters thinking it the norm and 'ok' to not bother to differentiate, the situation worsens.

Regards, Bernard

steamboatbob

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:21:47 pm »

Regardless of where they learn the three R's, weather it be at home or at school, too much emphasis is given these days on spell checking so these kids really don't learn at all, they just know how to click a few buttons. Maybe there is no solution to us old geezers looking blankly at a New speak message for 30 mins trying to decipher 2 lines of text.

But I have to say the new speak is just another form of making things quicker, for some.

furball

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »

Regardless of where they learn the three R's, weather it be at home or at school,

That would be 'whether' then...  ok2

Lance

garston1

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »

LMAO Lance.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 05:36:45 pm »

Sorry, the "New" language hasn't been invented by the kiddywinks, 'cos they haven't even heard of the Telex. If any one has had to send a "Familygram" and for the Submariners on a "Sneaky" boat, that means 20 words at the start of a patrol and twenty words just before return, you learn how to get 56 "Words" in a twtywrdspc.

Regards  Ian.

Ian:

I agree with your point relative to sub mariners and anyone else in similar circumstances using an abbreviated . Before the computer and the common use of the phone, telegrams were the fastest way to get messages over great distances, an abbreviated language was used there too. However, as has been pointed out, neither usage has come into the common use language as phone texting seems to be. Its great when one recognizes the appropriate time and location for each usage, however, I feel that is being lost with each generation.

John

andygh

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »

Maybe we have stuck with Old English or Norman French.

The youngsters understand each other perfectly when they are communicating with each other which is exactly what they are aiming to do, who says they want us old'ens to join in?

Text speak has nothing to do with the level of education, the poor level of which is mostly down to unnecessary bureaucrats, not lazy/stupid pupils, hardly any are "unteachable", engaging with them is difficult and many teachers can't be bothered. Like so many jobs these days you don't get payed more for being good at your job, career progress is usually made by finding the right a##e to kiss

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 06:18:17 pm »

I object strongly to the general, sweeping condemnation of teachers.

As a former Chairman of Governors at a school in an area with very many challenging and difficult youngsters I found the majority of teachers hard working and committed to their task.

On the other hand I found many parents disinterested in their children's education and frequently obstructive of what the school was seeking to do.

As to texting, I accept it is like any other style of communication, fine in its place but when it is used inappropriately I find it silly and sad. However, it must be said that many Mayhem Members post messages in the forum which are written in a very relaxed and informal way which is fine here but would be unsuitable in other settings.

My level of formality is something I was trained in and used for very many years, I often wish I could relax it, a little.

Roger in France

omra85

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »

I often wish I could relax it, a little.

Of course you can Roger, now repeat after me -
How now brown cow -
ah nah braan car -
r na brn ca

See easy isn't it ......

Now stop talking to animals and return to your ward !

BW
Dni

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »

As an aside....while supping my lunchtime pint..my sad old eyes rested on a young lady....rapidly texting with her left hand...while busily feeding chips into her mouth with her right hand...and....talking to her friend....This is of course, nothing at all to do with this subject....just thought you would like to hear how I while away my time.....Mick

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 07:07:12 pm »

Yer, do e stop this how nowin brown cowin!

Where I do cum frm tis, "Yer me bouty, ow be doin"!

Roger in France (originally a Janner)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 07:07:43 pm »

Hi Mick,

Now if you had a mobile too you could have contacted said young lady with Bluetooth conectivity... :-)) :D ;D :kiss:

Greg

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 07:13:40 pm »

Thanks Greg....stop confusing me with this 'tec'  talk...oops..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 07:44:09 pm »

Hi Mick,

Now if you had a mobile too you could have contacted said young lady with Bluetooth conectivity... :-)) :D ;D :kiss:

Greg

And how does one do an electronic slap in the face?   {-)

John

omra85

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 07:47:36 pm »

And how does one do an electronic slap in the face?   {-)

John

240 volt feedback??

Danny

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 07:49:07 pm »

You don't want one, trust me {-) {-) ;) ;)

Greg
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.