Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Comtesse build.  (Read 5466 times)

marion2009

Robbe Comtesse build.
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:26:39 pm »

Having read numerous reviews and posts from this Forum I invester £96 and bought the Robbe kit from The pan European company Conrad.
They were £30 cheaper than anyone else and had FREE postage as well.

I have only ever built powered models using a marine Frog deisel an RAF tender l and a Herring trawler with a Decaperm motor.

This build is a first and will take until the winter to complete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you get for your £96.

A moulded hull that has a lot of flash on the join.
Two full size plans and multi language instruction book.
Punched plywood sheet of bulkheads etc.
Punched ABS sheet of currently unknown parts.
Pressed cockpit and hatch.
Fullsize aluminium mast.
Several bags of bits including the rudder and fittings plus loads of other bits. You do get a sheet of flags and sail stickers, a nice touch.

Thats what you see when the box is opened.

marion2009

Re: Robbe Comtesse build.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:47:31 pm »

Before the build started I also purchsed the lead ballast ,Fittings kit and the Hitec servo. All that's needed now is a quantity of Walnut strip for the planking.
For the painting I bought Hycote white primer and Gloss.

marion2009

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:22 pm »

Hitec servo

marion2009

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:26 pm »

Step one is to remove the plastic flash around the join in the hull. This turned out to be quite difficult and left quite deep marks in the plastic join. I have tried to fill them using epoxy putty but it did not work well. The deck will be planked so it won't notice.

The next step caused no end of grief, the hatch did not fit!!!!!!!!!.

Eventually, having engaged the brain and looked at the plan it was obvious that the hatch had been pressed into a large piece and most had to be cut away.

Having discovered how to do it, both the hatch cover and cockpit were cut to shape.
Probably the most worrying step was cutting out the cockpit and hatch openings from the hull. The ABS is surprisingly thick and took a lot of effort to remove.

The selection of pictures below show the current status of the build. The flash has been removed, both hull openings have been cut out and hatch and cockpit dry fitted.

I have to wiat for Ebay to deliver a drill kit so I can butcher the hull with holes in the wrong place.

I have tried to correct spelling errors etc but the Forum won't let me... sorry..
Just kidding or am I?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:01:18 pm »

Looking good!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 24 queries.