Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some help with a trumpeter 1/144 kilo conversion please...  (Read 3726 times)

Duncan

Some help with a trumpeter 1/144 kilo conversion please...
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:53:34 pm »

Hi there all.

I am completely new to rc submarining, I do however have quite a lot of experience with radio control aircraft and cars i am a complete 'scale nut' so I endeavor to make my models as accurate as I possibly can. I have purchased a trumpeter kilo in 1/144 scale with view to converting it to RC. I am making my own WTC and ballast tanks etc. as I want it to be a complete home build, (I'm also on a budget!). there are some pictures below, one is of a test float in the bath, ballasted with AA batteries!, another is of the top half of the hull I have some questions that I hope you will be able to answer for me;

For the WTC I am going to put some bulkheads into the hull and have a stainless steel ring (no expense spared here!) with an airtight neoprene-rubber gasket and a 'lid' or acrylic bolted through the gasket at regular intervals (thinking every 25mm - 35mm). I understand that this is deferent from the usual way of doing things but I can see no reason why it should not work, can you?

I have calculated that the WTC will displace about 1l of water (1kg), how much ballast will I need to take on to allow the submarine to submerge? I have acquired two veterinary syringes for horses! both at 6oml so to make a total together of 120ml or 120g. will these be enough? I was going to operate these by 'adapting' a servo to drive some M3 thread bar through a nut attached to the head of the syringes' piston is this an appropriate method of taking on ballast? Given the natre of the WTC as i take on ballast the air pressure will rise slightly (about 10% for a 100ml tank) inside the WTC will this cause the air to escape and the sub to stay submerged?

For propulsion, i have a couple of issues. I have got a brushed 300 motor which is un-geared, would this be too much for the model to perform in a scale manner? Iam also undecided whether I will need a reverse, what is the general concesus with regards to reverse on a model submarine? and would the original have reverse? Also as far as the ESC is concerned, what kind of output will I be need, I assume it will be higher owing to the higher density water has over air? also does anyone know where I could get a seven bladed, brass prop which measures 20mm or 3/4'' in diameter.

I have opted out with the bow planes and adapted them to control the trim manually from the surface (please see the picture). Is this a good idea?

I am also slighty undecided as to how I am going to attach the top of hull in a way that allows access to the WTC/ i have decided though that i will use a hidden bolt which will sit inside an unused recess on the conning tower and tighten into a nut which is part of the lower hull. I need to know what you think is the best way of ensuring that the top of the hull stays dead aligned with the bottom half. Any ideas?

Thanks for your input to my project,

Duncan

das boot

Re: Some help with a trumpeter 1/144 kilo conversion please...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:57:08 pm »

Hi Duncan,

I'm short on time right now mate(assisting cooking dinner...)but if you pop over to subpirates.com, you'll find loads of info of how the Kilo is done. You can also try subcommittee.com, and of course...modelsubmarines.org the home of the Association of Model Submariners.

Good luck mate...any problems just give me a shout and I'll put you on to someone who's far more expert then I ever will be!

Rich

Duncan

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:39 pm »

Thanks for the links. Half of the difficulty is often in knowing where to find the information! Im a bit gutted to find out that my conning tower is incorrect!

Duncan

das boot

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:26:00 pm »

Duncan, pop a post on SubPirates and ask Steve Neill about Kilo conversions/modifications..tell him I sent you. He knows more about model subs than just about anyone...

Rich

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:37:24 pm »

The boxed WTC you describe should be fine and hold the increased pressure from your piston tanks. 120ml of ballast should be plenty if you keep the WTC below the surfaced waterline. The commercial seals for pushrod and waterproofing the prop shaft will also hold back presurrised air. Have you seen the Kilo RC fittings kit by Caswell? Iot comes with scale metal props and replacemt planes amonst other things to make R/C ing this one a little easier. I am not too sure about your manuallly controlable planes. I would just leave them fixed in the neutral postion or make them controlable via RC.  You can use small pieces of plastic to help with indexing the top hull to the bottom. A screw or a small rare earth magnet should keep the top hull on fine.

Duncan

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 11:03:48 pm »

Thanks. I will try to get over on to subpirates in the next couple of days.

I was also wondering about the bow planes, if it would be a good idea to put an amount of 'roll' (like the ailerons on an aircraft) on them so as to counteract the torque of the motor? or is this so small it is negligible?

sorry but my terminology may be lacking!

Thanks again,

Duncan

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:36:50 am »

I was also wondering about the bow planes, if it would be a good idea to put an amount of 'roll' (like the ailerons on an aircraft) on them so as to counteract the torque of the motor? or is this so small it is negligible?

There's no need for this in a sacle sub. S some high speed ones do- more for dramatic direction changes rather than to counteract torque roll though. I would keep the planes fixed at neutral for this sub.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:01:26 pm »

I'd recommend going over to the Sub Committee and having a search for 'Trumpeter kilo'. A member there, Ron van Aalst has done exactly what you are trying to do.

Also have a look here-in Dutch,but check out the piccies-

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/duikboten/80893-de-kilo-er-weer-versie-iii.html#post1218123

Duncan

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »

Thanks to you both. It is very reassuring to be told by someone who knows rather than making an educated guess! The pictures are rather helpful, i can see that my chose motor is appropriate.

Will I need drainage holes to allow water around the WTC or will it have plenty of leaks anyway?

Cheers,

Dunk.

Duncan

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 07:52:41 pm »

It seems that they do not want any more members at subpirates, I have been refused registration! maybe i should send them an email to try and win them over.

Anyways the new details for the conning tower are coming along well and should be back in place in the next couple of days. Ill put some pictures up if people are interested...

Duncan

Duncan

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »

about right i think

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.