Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheddar Models - Pelican  (Read 30873 times)

Bee

Re: Cheddar Models - Pelican
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2009, 10:10:02 pm »

http://www.tracytools.com/tapsanddiessets.htm
singly might be a better bet as you can just get the ones you really need.

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:39 pm »

Thanks Bee

You're probably right there, but I seem to have difficulty keeping things in an orderly fashion, and then of course, finding them when I come looking for that one part. It has a lot to do with the fact that over the years I have collected an enormous  number of tools for each endeavour I have turned my hand to. I'm known as the 'he's got all the tools' man; indeed, whenever I'm on the job working, I can usually find just what I need if I dig deep enough in the back of my truck ... tool wise ... parts wise, now that's another matter. But then, bashed and battered parts are not a good sales pitch when repairing a customers equipment  O0

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2009, 10:37:00 pm »

I'm exactly the same- if you still lived over here I could've posted you the taps and dies you want- I've got BA coming out of my ears!!!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »

Hi Greg

In the 'model engineering world' I really do seem to have ended up in the back of beyond, for while there are many active model engineers here in the States, none seem to have migrated to my neck of the woods.  :((

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:05 pm »

A real shame!  :((

Have you made aquaintance with Nick at Monahan Steam Models yet, he is always ready to talk to likeminded individuals and is a fantastically talented engineer- mention you've built the triple to him and you'll be mates for life O0

He is in California- can't remember exactly where- but won't be a million miles from you I shouldn't imagine.

Greg

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2009, 11:00:39 pm »

Hi Greg

California, well, there only two or three places in the US which are further away, Hawaii, Alaska, and Washington state, so he's not exactly a next door neighbor. I know it is all relative, but I am in awe of such craftsmanship as Nick obviously possesses, and on top of that, I still suffer from that English reserve ... not that you would know it around these 'ere parts.  :D :D :D

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2009, 09:27:43 pm »

English reserve eh :o :o {-)

Oh- thought it was nearer than that  {-) {-) There is a reason I never went into geography teaching!!!!!

If you go on his website there is a formal contact page- just email him from there with a query and he's a very affable fella so he'll get back to you- he used to be regular on here but I think he's been really busy recently- havn't spoken to him for a few weeks.

Greg

Steam Head

« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2009, 10:20:31 am »

Hi, if you want a seriously GREAT launch, look at http://www.mainsteam.co.uk/, or http://www.steamengines.co.uk/. The latter site is undergoing upgrades, one can only hope it's for the better, BUT!!!  :-))

Both vendors are of the highest level of achievement in this hobby, or any other dare I say. Their skills are superlative. ok2 :-))

I have bought several items from both these blokes, and if you find better quality, attention to detail, and after sales service, please let me know. I have no reason to praise these blokes, other than to dip my lid to their skills. Only that I could have 1/50th of that skill.

If anyone wants photos, please let me know, and let me know how to post the photos :embarrassed:

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:11 am »

Solitary Sailor if you are still undecided as to what to put your plant in i have a Krick Borkum with exactly the same plant in as you have.  It works very well and is nice and easy to operate and have access to.

The only difference in my plant is that it doesn't have the piezo igniter so I have to ignite the gas from the top of the funnel.  It still makes me jump as it goes with quite a bang.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Underpressure

« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2009, 10:40:15 am »

I agree with you BB. The Borkum with a Pelican or Puffin fitted is a super little boat, which will whizz about the lake and turn on a sixpence.

I also agree that you never quite get used to lighting a Cheddar plants. The peizo igniters were not the most reliable in operation  :embarrassed: Although John always seemed to get his demo boats to light first time, I used to end up clicking away like a mad thing to no effect. I cannot count the number of times I have scorched hair on my hands / arms / eyebrows / fringe lighting through the funnel  :-)) I know there is a technique to it....I have just never managed to work it out!

Neil

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2009, 12:29:04 pm »

Here is a picture of one I took some years ago it has a vertical MHB set up and looks different, on lighting the boiler the newer boilers that have a fully enclosed ceramic burner tend to light at the funnel a lot easer and don't blow out as the old torch ones could, plus they area more compact job.

peter

Underpressure

« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2009, 12:38:09 pm »

You speak for yourself Peter. I have singed hair with both a Puffin Mk2 and a Proteus Mk1 boiler.

I have also converted a Puffin Mk1 boiler to ceramic burner and can produce a very satisfying explosion by lighting that down the funnel....always fun to watch the reaction of unsuspecting fellow modellers  >>:-(

Neil

Bernhard

« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2009, 12:55:39 pm »

Hi.......A Friend of me have this one,,,Borkum ,,work like a dream never eny problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQ31-srRr0&feature=PlayList&p=C2FDAACB30C9C134&index=0&playnext=1

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 01:27:39 am »

Thanks for the advice guys. Actually, the purchase of a model to put the  "Puffin" in, is on hold as I have already started another project. I am building a steam powered "St Nectan", with the motive power being a double acting twin cylinder, long stroke engine to a French design, made from bar stock. For the choice of engine - blame Bogs, 'e was the one wot suggested it! The Mountfleet kit is awaiting sufficient funding, prior to being shipped out, as the financial constraints imposed by extreme budgetary constraints around here is crippling and much like  Gordon Brown's exchequer ... empty ... yep, grand designs, but just about empty .. still, I'll be up and running long before that wonderful Mr Darling has repaired the hole in Mr. Brown's swag bag I can bet ya. Actually, as the engine is the first part of the project already in hand, there is no rush to get the model kit. This is going to be one long term project.

As for the little "Puffin" I was thinking on the lines of another of Mountfleet's wonderful modelsm ... Clannity, the little Admiralty coaster in civilian colours. At 49" length and 9" beam it should be about right. Sorry guys, I'm just not into open type launches, and when all is said and done, when the model boat is out on the lake, all you can see is the steam from the stack, and the silhouette of the boat as she glides through the water. But then, each to their own is my motto.

Attached, (if they upload) are a picture of the engine in outline, and a photo of progress so far. I am keeping a photographic log, and will do a seperate build post, when I have more stuff under construction.

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2009, 02:31:29 am »

Actually, I must add to the above post. Bogs has been most helpful. It has been a long time since I have attempted to turn any metal, but with Bog's encouragement, I pulled out the little Emco lathe, got a couple of new drive motors for it, and tentatively started at the bottom  of the mountain ... it's going to be a very long project. Decided, in spite of everyone's sound advice to go for the "Proxxon" milling machine - entirely due to space considerations ... see attached pictures of the entire workshop area.

Still undecided as to whether or not to build my own boiler, after talking to Nick at Monohan Models, it is probably within my capabilities, and my oxy/act type of sweating will be quite acceptable as a means of soldering, especially as it has a much higher melting point than silver or soft solder, making the joints of the boiler considerable stronger. My problems will be twofold, where to get a short piece of 5"dia. copper pipe, (it is sold in 20' lengths round here ... not cheap!. And secondly, where to get it pressure tested. Nick is anther of those gems of the modeling fraternity, who willingly spends much precious time and knowledge helping those of us mere amateurs; we spent the best part of an hour on the phone one evening, discussing my project  So, a big thanks Nick.

And a very special thanks to Bogs, for without you, I probably would not have gone down this route ... so I know who to blame when frustration gets the better of me  >>:-( ;D

steamboatmodel

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2009, 02:10:00 pm »

I am building a steam powered "St Nectan", with the motive power being a double acting twin cylinder, long stroke engine to a French design, made from bar stock. For the choice of engine - blame Bogs, 'e was the one wot suggested it!
The Engine looks interesting can you post a link to the plans?
Regards,
Gerald.

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2009, 03:32:42 pm »

Steamboatmodel

The link which I have is ... jpduval@free.fr  which is listed at the bottom of each page of the plans,   but this link doesn't seem to bring up the plans any more   :((  Maybe a little searching around the site might  reveal their exact location ... good luck

steamboatmodel

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:48 am »

I think I found them:
http://jpduval.free.fr/Mv16x19%20p1.htm
He also has some nice oscillators:
http://jpduval.free.fr/Plans_moteurs_vapeur_p1.htm
Regards,
Gerald

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2009, 02:30:18 am »

Hi Gerald

Well done, that's it alright. An interesting little engine, somewhat similar, although a bit larger than the Reeves "Borderer", though of course, in the case of the "borderer" both cylinders are machined out of one casting, (or a large piece of Bar stock, for those not purchasing the set of castings). It differs also in that it is a long stroke engine... 5/8 bore (more accurately 16mm) by 3/4 stroke (19mm). I actually have a set of "Borderer "plans, as I was seriously considering building that, but then Bogs wandered onto the scene ... and the rest is history as they say.

Got a neighbor to do some simple translation on the plans for me, though most of it was / is self evident ... just to make life a little simpler. It looks like it will turn out to be quite a striking little twin cylinder engine.

One feature which I appreciated, was the eccentrics, they are machined out of individual pieces, and then fitted together, rather than from one casting, where the marking and setup get quite complex ... at least for a rube like me   <:( O0 

Neil

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2010, 10:47:56 am »

I give up,
One could get a lot of photos in 161kb, could one not?
I have reduced the photos to the bare minimum with "Resize Pictures", and, still they will not post.
Ah, well, here is the text though.

I tried to post a Mendip Boiler that I have here, and the contents of that boiler. I also tried to post a Scotch Return boiler for comparrison, to no avail.

That's enough of wasting my life. Pity, it would have been worthwhile for those who wanted a Yarrow type boiler.
Neil.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »

Neil, If you send me the pictures to my e-mail address as an attachment I will post them for you.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.