Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: baby Severn  (Read 37873 times)

kinversand

Re: baby Severn
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 09:06:14 pm »

Hi Bob,

and thanks for your reply, however I beg to differ !

Raboesch make some M3 propshaft / sterntube assemblies, complete with A / P brackets and propellers to go with them !

See catalogue 2 at www.raboesch.nl

Cheers

DS

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »

Hes right Bob RABOESCH do shafts and props for M2 and M3 Deans Marine sell them.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »

So use 3mm props and shafts.
They do seem rather expensive and exclusive.
If you want to double the price of the baby severn who am I to argue.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:14 pm »

Most commercial props are M2, M4 or even 4BA, 2BA.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:31 am »

So use 3mm props and shafts.
They do seem rather expensive and exclusive.
If you want to double the price of the baby severn who am I to argue.

Bob
Cheapskate  ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

kinversand

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 05:29:45 pm »

Will do...... don't fit an M2 prop shaft, use a M4!  :(

Martin,

Still interested in your conversion - do you have any pics please ?.  Also interested in why you said to stay away from M2 propshafts.

Cheers

DS

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 10:48:29 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:47 pm »

You wont get a ready made prop to fit a 3mm shaft.
The Standard Shafts are 2 mm, 4mm. and 5mm for scale models.
Some odd sizes for IC boats.

Bob

Very good advice,  :-)) have had all the trouble in the world trying to get even 2mm. >>:-(
Whereas everybody and their dog has 4mm.  :-))

kinversand

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:41 am »

Hi all,

Photographs at last:

kinversand

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 11:27:47 pm »

Making a jig for the ends of the propshatfs.

Drive layout Mk I. Stern tubes, shafts, glands, and couplings in position.

Internal layout Mk. II. Motors, ESC, glands, stern tube brace and steering servo moved aft by 40mm. Propshafts, stern tubes and steering pushrod shortened - All to improve fore and aft trim.

Stern gear & propshaft jig dims.

kinversand

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:14 am »

Like just about everyone else, I wrangled with the weight issue, and the truth is that it's just about impossible to get absolutely right.

The poblem comes from the fact that in its' unconverted form, the model is too light for its' size. This is due in part to the size and weight of the RC gear and powertrain originally installed, as it's far lighter than would be any proper RC and propulsion / steering gear (remeber also that the model originally had no rudders or steering servo). To compensate, the designer(s) made three simple, but significant alterations to the original design.

Firstly, they altered the underwater profile, substantially reducing the deph of immersion at the transsom, threby reducing the displacement.

Secondly, the first mod was only partially successful, so they proceeded to paint the waterline quite a bit lower down, particularly at the stern - the unconverted model floats noticably higher by the stern than does a full size Severn.

Then finally, they positioned the exhaust ports about 10mm lower on the transom to make the model look right.

All this adds up to a model which when converted is invariably a little overweight, and goes stern down when full power is applied. You will all be glad to hear that mine is no different ! Therefore, I came to the conclusion that even a 380 motor was going to be too heavy. So initially I went with a pair of 25mm brass props on M3 s/s shafts (from Raboesch), driven by a pair of 280 motors, running from a 7.4v 2200 mAH Li-Po, through a Viper marine ESC, and Hi-tec Zebra 3 RC gear (40MHz), and a micro servo for the rudders. This gave great speed, and good endurance, but on only the second outing I managed to melt the backs out of both motors ! - Back to the drawing board !

Anyway, after much headscratching and surfing of the interweb, I found a great compromise between the power of a 380, and the weight and efficiency of the 280 - a motor that IMHO is too little talked of outside heli circles - the 370: Only 10 grams heavier than a 280, with a steel back, ventilated can, and quite happy at 7.2 volts.

The battery that I ended up with (quite by accident) fitted the modified battery compartment like a glove, and allows room for the leads which connect to a deans plug, bonded into the side wall. The compartment stays almost completely dry, and even if it does get flooded, does not allow water into the bilges. It also means that I don't have to remove the suerstructure to recharge. As regards the height at which the battery is mounted within the model, I can confirm that the model corners flat at all speeds when not planing, and even when I sent it out on Fareham Reach in a blow (with chop!), although it was a real cow to keep head to wind, even with the wind and waves abeam, the model showed no signs of being anywhere near capsizing. To complete the working side of the model, I made the original on/off button waterproof, and reisnstated it, so that there is no need to remove any covers to switch the model on or off.

The final plan now is to re-paint the hull above and below the waterline, then apply new decals and stripes.

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for a suitably scaled radar fitting ? as my boat is currently doesn't have one !

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2012, 01:17:00 am »

Baby Tamar from the EeZeBilt site. Not finished yet, but one day...  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 12:45:15 am »

Martin, digging up an old topic, sorry if I've missed this, I can't find it anywhere. What prop did you use for your baby Severn?
I'm in the process of converting one and if I can get it to plane only half as much as that, I'll be happy!
Cheers,
Steven

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 02:05:14 am »

Probably a 25 or 30mm M2 Graupner prop.
 http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_propellers.html#a1_21G2309_2e65L

I would recommend a slower motor, or maybe a Speed 400 7,2v or 8.4v

Gardener

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2017, 10:31:28 pm »

What is the best way to cut out the bottom of the plastic battery box for clearance ?
What tool best to use ?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2017, 06:58:04 am »

I tried several ways but a cheap soldering iron, with a tip hammered into a knife edge was most effective!

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56885.msg591166.html#msg591166

Gardener

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:02 am »

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.