Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model yacht...which??  (Read 6462 times)

g4yvm

Model yacht...which??
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:45 pm »

Hi guys I am looking for a smallish, throw in the back of the car and sail after the full size fun, yacht.

I have considered the Micro Magic but they can be pricey for a keep-in-the-car plaything rather than a serious model.  Has anyone any experience of Lesro 575 for example, or any other suggestions?

David

Islander1951

Re: Model yacht...which??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »

I would go for a Thunder Tiger VICTORIA,30.75", quick build, and mine's still going after 10 years.   :-))

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:45 pm »

If you do a search of the forum you'll find this is a common question and there are some really informative threads with the information you require.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18622.0
Here is a link to a thread that was started a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise have a good look around the 'Yachts and Sailing section'.

SlimRick

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:37:03 pm »

I would go for a Thunder Tiger VICTORIA,30.75", quick build, and mine's still going after 10 years.   :-))

What he said!  I've just bought one for exactly the same reason.

amdaylight

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:03 pm »

I bought the Kyosho Fairwind III for that very same reason, O0 it is now the yacht that I take to the pond the most, easy to carry, fun to sail, quick to set up and came with every thing installed. All I had to do was put the mast haves together, (sails already installed on the mast), install the batteries and remove the railings (just pull out of sockets, about 20 seconds), cut the radio compartment in half so I don't have to remove the sail servo arm every time I need to change the batteries and remove the centering device on the sail servo stick on the transmitter and it was off to the pond.  :-))

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »

The Victoria is a great "put in the back of the car" but not a "keep in the back of the car" boat unless you have a really big car.  Maybe some sort of footy?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

g4yvm

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:37:02 am »

No, actually, a "put in" would be fine.

I have considered the Footy " class too. It looks promising.  I'll keep my eyes peeled there.

David

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

I also have a question to add to this thread: Is there a good (i.e with proper radio) and reasonably simple RTR sailing yacht available? I'm interested in acquiring a basic R/C yacht to learn basic sailing techniques. The "University Club" yacht (link) looks reasonable at £75, but I'd be interested to know other people's opinions on this model, and whether there are any other (half-)decent RTR yachts out there.

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:25:04 pm »

I also have a question to add to this thread: Is there a good (i.e with proper radio) and reasonably simple RTR sailing yacht available? I'm interested in acquiring a basic R/C yacht to learn basic sailing techniques. The "University Club" yacht (link) looks reasonable at £75, but I'd be interested to know other people's opinions on this model, and whether there are any other (half-)decent RTR yachts out there.

I'm no expert but one main complaint people seem to have with cheap RTR boats (cars,planes..) is that the cheap radio sets that come with them do not tend to be very good which means they could need to be replaced with a better one which adds to the cost. With that in mind it can some times be wiser to buy a model and your own r/c gear to go with it and actually save a few headaches.

I hasten to add I have never seen the 'university club' yacht in action the above comments are a broad generalisation.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 01:38:04 am »

I have seen the University club model. There has also been a lot of discussion of it on here.
It is small. It is toy grade, but can be modified to make it an adequate sailer. And £75 seems over the top as I think they were selling for £19 in Aldi or Lidl last year.

The Nirvana II has a good following and is I believe RTR. Also reported to be a good sailer for its size.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 04:09:54 pm »

I have seen the University club model. There has also been a lot of discussion of it on here.
It is small. It is toy grade, but can be modified to make it an adequate sailer. And £75 seems over the top as I think they were selling for £19 in Aldi or Lidl last year.

Do you know if the "University Club" boat has proper proportional control on the rudder + sails, and/or changeable radio crystals?
I had the impression that it had a proper (if rather low-end) radio, like the "Thunder Tiger" fishing boats, rather than a non-changeable 27mhz setup like the really cheap RTR boats.

At £19, it would be a bargain either way, but £75-odd seems to be the standard retail price for these boats now. (No cheap ones on eBay, either). I assume Lidl + Aldi don't have any in stock now?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:49:46 pm »

The 575 was a well liked boat when it first came out under the "Duplex" name David, (They also did the Airboat originally), and were one of the first designs in sucked plastic. Various "Tuning" mods were allowed to make a competitive class at some toy boat regattas.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 08:56:46 am »

At £19, it would be a bargain either way, but £75-odd seems to be the standard retail price for these boats now. (No cheap ones on eBay, either). I assume Lidl + Aldi don't have any in stock now?
Indeed it was a bargain, and it was a full-grown radio, but it was a "when its gone, its gone" job over two years ago, and now its gone.  Mark the Ghost got one, and multiplied the cost a few times doing mods (new sails, longer fin) resulting in a quite respectable performer.  I think he gave it plenty of mentions in his "Westport Mayhem" thread over on RCGroups.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.