Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Smit weathered refit underway  (Read 30725 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Billings Smit weathered refit underway
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:28:25 pm »

I've had this smit nearly 9 months and i've yet to run her, other than bath testing that is. I bought this tug of a fellow mayhem member to tinker with at my own speed. The model was nicely put together but, i wanted something to gradually make my own  :-)) So here goes....

I sanded down the bullwark and hull to remove as much wood grain as possible and used car filler in places. I then spray painted hull red (Halfords red primer) and used filler primer on any uneven surfaces. Halfords satin black was used on the outside bullwark and left overnight to dry. As i like my models weathered i set about picking a colour that would reflect a stained weather hull, for this i picked Tamiya "Buff" for the bullwark, "medium/dark grey" for the hull red. I applied the colours via an airbrush to pick out the detail in the kort nozzles and rudders (see pic's). I used "light Buff" for the hull waterline mark before starting to add rust on top of that (work ongoing in that area) I masked off the front to apply the nearest blue i could find, same can be said for the yellow. I have some light bleeding here and there but i'll give that a few days before remasking them again to respray.

Voyager

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Smit weathered refit underway
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »

I like your start at weathering on the Neddy. I'm going to watch with interest and see how you make out. I'd like to do something similar to mine to give a "lived in" look.

John

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:14:03 pm »

Here are some better pic's taken during the day of the work so far!

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »

Hi John, and thanks!

I've modelled boats before but never a tug, so i've kept my weathering low key until now. I am following some good pic's of the full size boat i found on the internet, so will see how it all turns out. If you do make a start then if there's anything i can help you with then i will, on the flip side, i'll let you know when things DON'T work and so you can avoid making the same costly mistakes  :-))

Voyager/Wayne 

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:46:20 pm »

Thanks very much. I like the rust marks at the water line.....nice touch.

John

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:04:19 am »

Coming on very nicely. Keep the pictures coming.  :-))

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:28:02 am »

Coming on very nicely. Keep the pictures coming.  :-))

Footski:

Haven't seen you on for a while. Welcome back to the land of the living.

John

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:59:21 pm »

Footski:

Haven't seen you on for a while. Welcome back to the land of the living.

John

Cheers John,

Major computer illness knocked me out for a while!!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 03:20:17 pm »

The outside of the hull is now finished after having a mixture of satin and matt varnishes to seal in the weathering. I'm very happy with the results so far, managed to learn a few things on the way which is always helpful. The next step will be to remove the fire monitors as i won't be fitting these again, then, remove anchor winch before sanding down the deck. I'm kinda hoping this next step will be fairly straight forward with less cursing and swearing, so i'd best keep my fingers crossed!

Voyager

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:41:34 pm »

You may find the following mayhem link of assistance. I've posted a copy of a photo of the prototype Neddy's foredeck:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10387.75

Jhn

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 11:00:27 pm »

Very much so ...YES!!!!!!!!!!! You've done an outstanding job on yours John, very, very impressed with your weathering on the anchor winch and your quality build up thread  :-)) I don't suppose you would knwo where i might be able to get some images of the wheelhouse interior??? I want to strip mine bare and do a super detailed version if i'm able to get plenty of images to go by.

Voyager

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 01:13:44 am »

Thanks very much, I'm glad you found it helpful. Like you I was looking, and still am, for interior shots of this class of tug. To date I haven't found anything to work with. I've extrapolated as best I could from Billings drawings, but they are sketchy at best. To that end this is what I have. I've included a radar screen and throttle levers and a few other minor items, but thats about it. There is a stairway inside the wheel house from the starboard rear of the wheel house to the deck below. This is all internal so much of of it wouldn't be seen, however, it would make a nice detail to include.
  As to the anchor winch. I used the Billings item as a start, then added more detail. I don't think my thread shows that completely. If you wish I can include more of the pictures of the mods I made to bring it more in line withe the one on the deck of the prototype. If you'd prefer I can send them directly to you via email if you'd like to send me your email address via PM.

John

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 02:58:40 pm »

Cheers John, i'll go by what you've done to yours  :-))

Voyager/Wayne

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 11:34:16 pm »

Wayne:

AS promised, here's the picture of the interior of my Neddy's wheel house as it is now. I still plan on putting railings on the console, an anti skid mat in front of the console and a few miscellaneous bits of detail such as fire extinguisher, paper work etc.
 The stairway I mentioned would be in the lower right corner of the wheel house. The stairway is backed up by a seat and , to its right, a cabinet.
  The colours I picked up from another Smit tug wheel house, so its a bit of a guess here. Anyway its the best I can come up with until I see some actual pics.

John

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:42:16 pm »

Nice work John, thanks for the pic  :-)) I'll work on copying the layout and design you did for yours, as well as the colours as it looks good i must say!

Thanks for sending me the pic's to my email address, i'm keeping those handy for when i start work on the front winch.

Wayne

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 12:25:27 am »

I should mention, the two handles to the right of center on the console. I intended them to represent the throttle controls for each of the props. Used stainless dress pins to imitate the handles. Seems to work well and they're about the right size.

John

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:16 pm »

the weathering is great voyager........... keep the pictures coming please
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:02:18 pm »

the weathering is great voyager........... keep the pictures coming please

Thanks very much Guy  :-) I'll be doing more work on her towards the end of the week, and will post pic's as things develope.

Voyager/Wayne

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:53 pm »

Very impressive list of sites i must say, not sure i'm up to their standards  :(( However i shall plod on, and if my end results are half as good then i'll be well chuffed with myself. Some of the weathering on those sites is simply spot on, very realistic and fuels me with plenty of ideas.

Voyager/Wayne

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 02:56:55 pm »

After a little break i'm back working on my Smit. I wasn't sure how best to remove my deck fittings, so held my breath and thought of England....so i started pulling and twisting and to my surprise i removed all the fitting without breaking any...phew  :o I filled in the holes in the deck that were made for the fire monitors, i won't be fitting those back on. After the filler had dried I lightly sanded the deck down and sprayed satin green using an airbrush what i thought was the correct green, it turns out the paint is a fair bit lighter on the inside than what's painted on the lid (which i'm surprised about as i've never had a problem with Humbrol before). The deck shows a number of inperfections so i need to sand it all down again before i give it another base coat. I'm toying around with the idea of putting a texture plastic-card deck around the front winch area to simulate metal that's been painted, still thinking about this approach  {:-{ I will be doing further work today, smoothing the deck down and repainting and weathering the fittings so hope all goes well.
I'm looking at investing in yet another airbrush for a wider paint spray, possibly a Badger 350.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 11:40:06 pm »

I weathered the main deck fittings today, very happy with the results so far! The remainder of the fittings such as ventilators etc won't be weathered, i'll leave those as is.

Voyager

barryfoote

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 08:15:03 am »

A beautiful job. Just right.... :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 10:57:04 am »

Thanks very much Footski  :D

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:00 pm »

Latest so far:

Deck re-painted the correct green.
Bullwark painted.
Bullwark weathered along with winch deck area only.
Anchor winch and bollard now fitted in place.
Some more fittings finished and weathered.

Voyager
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.