Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Smit weathered refit underway  (Read 30706 times)

Greggy1964

Re: Billings Smit weathered refit underway
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:18 am »

I'm not normally interested in tugs but top marks for the weathering detail :-))

Very very realistic, something to aspire to.

Excellent :-)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2009, 01:59:56 pm »

I'm not normally interested in tugs but top marks for the weathering detail :-))

Very very realistic, something to aspire to.

Excellent :-)

Much obliged to you!  :-)

I sprayed the life rings last night and i plan on adding authentic reflective tape and the ships name before fitting them.

Voyager

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2009, 06:52:25 pm »

Thank you for the details. Might try it soon

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2009, 11:05:35 pm »

Status on the liferaft containers so far. Massive improvement on the kit version (right). I think the kit version is oversized and lacked detail, so the one pictured (left) is a two part injection moulded part, with logo cut from masking tape and applied and sealed with primer. I then painted the container Tamiya gloss white and hand painted the raised logo detail. Not picture is the flag pole which was originally painted white so needed repainting to a wood finish which i've just finished.

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2009, 09:27:58 pm »

Liferaft container weathered and fitted into place. Liferaft container looks blue in the picture but in real life it's pure white, some camera glitch. Won't be doing anymore this weekend as i'll be at Warrickshire, hope to see some of you there!

Voyager

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2009, 09:36:10 pm »

Look for the guy in the Blue  AT!!

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2009, 06:54:39 pm »

Very little done sinse my last posting, but anyway, here's what I have done...

Given the boat another rusty wash application on the area's pictured below. Also fitted acrylic windows but I frosted them first to diffuse the inside light, massive difference in scale to have soft glowing windows instead of leaving them completely clear.

More to follow when 'The Lady Sharon' project is all finished.

Voyager

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2010, 08:45:35 pm »

Could this be the first boat you  :-) ok2 FINISH, SAIL, AND KEEP FOR MORE THAN A MONTH BEFORE SELLING :-) ok2 theres a first time for everything i suppose but looking at the date of your last post has the inevitable already happened? ;D ;D

wbeedie

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2010, 11:26:04 pm »

All the weathering is looking good so far ,one thing is missing thoughwhich are rusting streaks down from the scuppers and where rust effects are round the windows/portholes which would have streaked also but looks brilliantly so far ,sorry about the neg points as I am nowhere near this standard  and wont be for years

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2010, 12:18:57 am »

All the weathering is looking good so far ,one thing is missing thoughwhich are rusting streaks down from the scuppers and where rust effects are round the windows/portholes which would have streaked also but looks brilliantly so far ,sorry about the neg points as I am nowhere near this standard  and wont be for years

I'm building a Smit Nederland myself and following this thread with interest. I have to agree with you weathering observations on most vessels, however, in the case of Smit Marine they keep their vessels in exceptional condition. I've got photos of several of this class of tug in my files and none have weathering around the windows or doors. Even the scupper areas are surprisingly bereft of much weathering. Voyager has caught the effect on these vessels very well.

John

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

Cheers chaps  :-))

I too have pictures of the full size vessel and so I'm keeping the weathering true to the reall thing. With regards to the portholes should have some rust. Not showing in the images but, there is extremely light rust on two of them but being so light it doesn't show up using my camera. I've not touched this model for a while as i've been too busy with work and so forth, however she's still here and once I get some free time then I'll be straight back on to finish her off.

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2010, 04:38:43 pm »

I've dusted the lady down and work will begin again over the coming weeks so look out for some fresh pic's.

Voyager

ixion

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:02 pm »

I've dusted the lady down and work will begin again over the coming weeks so look out for some fresh pic's.

Looking forward to them  :-))

craftysod

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »

Glad you got back to this model,weathering is great and keep on watching with interest
Mark

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »

Glad you got back to this model,weathering is great and keep on watching with interest
Mark

Cheers Mark  ok2 Next stage will be to build the doors and fit them, then, after that the bit I'm not looking forward to and that's stripping down the wheelhouse.

ixion

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:43 pm »

Here is a incentive for you.....

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »

Here is a incentive for you.....

Both are very...very nicely built  :-) The Smit Japan looks a lovely model. Don't suppose you have any more close up pic's you could post?

ixion

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:42 pm »

Both are very...very nicely built  :-) The Smit Japan looks a lovely model. Don't suppose you have any more close up pic's you could post?

Smit Japan was built by Jenno see here  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21331.0

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »

Smit Japan was built by Jenno see here  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21331.0

Many thanks for the link. That's a fine looking model, hope he's going to update the thread as she looks all finished now!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 10:52:06 am »

Biggest job to do yet, and that's to remove the roof to get inside the wheelhouse  {:-{ Then, to carefully clean up interior and exterior and add some stratch built parts. I had an issue with paint reaction with the hull which took me forever to resolve, so can only assume I will have the same problem here!

Voyager.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:49 pm »

Quite alot has been worked on since my last post  :-) :-) :-)

Wheelhouse rubbed down and dismantled, re-sprayed and weathered (still the inside to build!). Work deck and bullwark weathered, lots of small detailing added here!

More to follow.....

bassplayer1

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »

Fantastic job!!! Really like the weathering!!!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2010, 11:41:48 am »

Cheers mate, much obliged  :}

Windows glazed, textured steps fiitted (but not painted), some warning stickers applied inside wheelhouse and winch area. Water tight doors and fire locker being built right now so Pic's to follow...

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 06:48:24 pm »

Works been a little slow as i've not been well, been diagnosed with IBS, so out goes all the food I enjoy  <:(

Wheelhouse weathering details added, warning stickers inside wheelhouse, lower wheelhouse windows glazed and upper green tinted windows glazed, superstructure doors built and weathered but handles still to fit.

I've taken some pictures without flash as the flash tends to change colours and soften the subtle weathering, so hope these give a better idea as to how she looks!

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:40 pm »

And the last one...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.