Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any left handers out there?  (Read 5835 times)

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
Any left handers out there?
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:23:42 pm »

I am not left handed myself but my son is, and I am thinking about swapping the sticks around on his 2 channel R/C transmitter, so that the steering control is on left. How do most left handed skippers cope with the layout on a standard transmitter? Have any of you tried having the rudder on the left?

Neil

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Any left handers out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:34:03 pm »

Hi ya there, I myself am left-handed.? Never found it any inconvenience at all, once I was used to the radio set.

I one time did convert a 4-channel transmitter, so that the steering was on the left.? I found it more confusing.? ?It will be confusing for your son if you do alter it, because, unless you are actually going to convert the stick movement on the transmitter from vertical movement to a horizontal movement, I think he will find this difficult to get used to because to turn the model left or right, he will be operating the stick up and down.? ?

It might be adviseable to leave as it is, and go for a multi-channel set, where you have the movement already for left and right on both sticks.

Aye
John E
Bluebird

ps, just an aferthought, there are 2 channel sets on the market with a steering wheel instead of a stick - if your son is finding it difficult, that may be a better alternative.  I have seen them advertised on 'Ebay' and also seen a one-armed guy using one of these sets, with no apparent problems.

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 05:33:30 pm »

Hi I am left handed and left footed and have never had a problem with sailing model boats . I find it quite an advantage to have the speed control on the left stick as my left hand seems to react quicker which I find good when it comes to delicate control on scale courses. even when it comes to model flying I still have the throttle on the left ( can't remember which mode it is called )
    Cheers
      Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 05:38:39 pm »

There is another solution - but you keep tripping over the aerial... ;D

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:17:06 pm »

Hi,
As a right handed person who plays guitar, I've often wondered why we choose to use our left hand to do what is usually the hardest part of playing the instrument. I can only assume that as it is something we learn from scratch, our brains just adapt. So it would probably be best to let him learn with a standard set up. Also if he stays with the hobby, it will make it easier in the long term as he swops from model to model.

As an aside, do they make left handed pianos?

Bob

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:30:15 pm »

Hi ya there,

Yea after reading the last post by BobF when you sit and think about it - British motor vehicles - gear stick in the centre - use your left hand to operate it - you never think about it, but it just comes naturally that the left hand operates the gear stick.

Aye
John E
Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:52:30 pm »

My son is left handed and he has no problems with a conventional set. We have a Futaba 6EXA and I thought it might help him if the rudder was on the left stick but in the end he found it confusing and we converted it to the conventional set up.

Myself i'm hamfisted with either hand, hence last weekend at Yate steering Sam after two rounds total penalty points 17 me 56. But in the end we both enjoyed ourselves.

Daryl

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 10:35:21 pm »

I'm left handed and have no problems at all with the controls in the standard mode.

Did try to use the throttle on the right (mode 1?) for my model aircraft, but after ploughing it into a hillside by moving the wrong stick when I wanted to increase the throttle.....................thankfully, I always carry a bin bag and a shovel when I go flying!!

I have since reverted back to "normal" operation of all the tx's.

Craig

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 10:32:50 am »

My son is left handed and finds no trouble with the standard set up. His control of a fast electric is much better than mine  :(
Further, when he started to play guitar the tutor restrung his instrument for a left handed approach. However, when he started at secondary school the new tutor started again witha convential set up. He said that the difficult bit was the fingering and as his left hand was stronger he would fing it easier. Six years on he wouldn't change back if you paid him (not that I do  ;D)

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 12:26:31 pm »

Hi All
  As I said before in an earlier post I am totaly left handed , but I seem to have no problems in holding a pint in either hand can anybody explain this  ::)
  Cheers oh and Beers
     Bob B

RC John

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 08:16:15 pm »

TOTALLY left handed is rare - I have only met two in all my life.
Like most "lefties" the knife is in my lefthand to sharpen a pencil (now that shows my age) but in my right at meal times. My wife and both kids are the same as me in that respect - left handed but not totally so.

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 11:26:23 pm »

RC John is right, people who are totally left handed are rare, but there are reasons for this. I'm left-handed with almost everything, but I hold a knife in my right hand when eating. The reason for this, is that my parents taught me how to hold knive & fork before they realised how left handed I was, it can be very difficult to tell with children in their formative years. I've never bothered with any left handed items like scissors, you just have to get used to using them slightly differently to get them to work properly. I can remember being made to hold a pen in my right hand at school and finding it very hard, my parents had to write a letter to the headmaster to get the teachers to allow me to do it my way. To get back to the point of this thread though, I've never had problems with RC transmitters, but when I started flying, there were two modes in common use, throttle left & throttle right, or modes one & two. I used both for different models and never had any problems remembering which one I was flying with at the time, so in that respect I suppose I must be ambidextrous. I still use both modes today with boats, and as most model boating is about a million times easier than flying fast planes, having transmitters set up in different ways has never caused a problem. It's easy to swap ratchets over on stick assemblies, but I've never bothered. I can't work a computer mouse with my right hand though.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 06:48:39 am »

I can remember being made to hold a pen in my right hand at school and finding it very hard,

Thought it would have been chalk and state back when you where skool ;D

riggers
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 09:00:50 am »

Hi All
  When I was at school there were efforts to try and make me conform and write with my right hand and kick (footballs not other pupils)with my right foot end result was that I started to stutter. From what I have been told later in life is there is nothing wrong with being kackhanded it just means that the right hand side of the brain developed more than the left . This in my case could have been a problem as it would seem i have no brain. To be more serious when I was in the army I used to cock my rifle by taking my left hand over the top of the rifle I bat left handed I box southpaw but the great advantage is that I change gear in the car with my left hand
                                                Cheers
                                                  Bob B

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:55:10 am »

I can remember being made to hold a pen in my right hand at school and finding it very hard,

Thought it would have been chalk and state back when you where skool ;D

riggers

Wax tablets actually riggers, but that Aristotle was a damn fine teacher.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.