Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: park flyers  (Read 5611 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
park flyers
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:23:28 am »

thinkin about getting one of those parkzone rtf electric rc planes anyone got one what do you think, me and dad were considering a spitfire and mustang.

jonny shoreboy

Re: park flyers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:50:37 am »

Are you new to model aircraft or do you have plenty of experience flying model aircraft?

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:57:54 am »

im brand new and i think jumping in the deep end, neither of us can really be bothered with trainers, dad started flying many many moons ago but had a bad experience and stopped

we just want a warbird thats relatively cheap to buy and repair, but flys reasonbly well

andyn

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:59:11 am »

The Spitfire is great fun, I have one. It is definately not a beginners model though as in a shallow dive it was getting towards 100mph. Go for the Firebird series of the parkzone models. Or a Decathalon.

gromarlie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »

If you are a good enough flyer you don't need to ask the question  <:(
If you need to ask the question you are not a good enough flyer  %)
These are not for beginners (whatever it says on the box) and trying to learn to fly on these toys/models is almost certain to lead to disappointment.  <:(
Whip up to your local flying club, speak nicely to an instructor and you might even get a free go to see if flying suits you - you will save a lot of money & fustration  :-))

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:07:11 pm »

<:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:16 pm »

the hobbyozne firebird commander is a great start,  its cherap and a good way of getting into model flying, these are alot more forgiving than the mustang- however they're not pretty or fast and as a high wing pusher type aircraft they're  very forgiving.... let go of both sticks and you should be able to just about regain straight and level flight....

worse case scenario and you wreck it then spares are easy and cheap to get hold of.....

they also have the option of the 'combat kit' this is a little unit that plugs in to the fuselage and you can play dogfights, its basic but if you are following another commander with the kit and you get the aircraft in front  within the ' beam' from this little ( infrared beam i think) unit it kills the power to their electric motor for about 10 seconds....you can then glide and when the motor starts up again give it wellie and up you go again for more.....

i have had one of these for about 2 years now and i still from time to time crash it.... i still would not class myself as experienced enough for the mustange or the spit.......

i suggest you try one of these first and then move on and up to one of the  warbirds later

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

andyn

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:09:06 pm »

I had the Firebird Scout for a time, it was very uncontrollable though was great fun, I smashed it into the ground more times than I could remember (mostly intentionally), even crashed it into a tree in dense fog once and it fell apart and came crashing to the ground. Through all this it only ever needed some UHU POR and some Diamond tape and it'd be flying 20 mins later. Great fun, only cost me £25 too. In the end I turned it into an airboat and it lasted until it turned over and got rather soggy...

If you call up Barry at Mainly Models he sells the Hobbyzone/ Parkzone stuff very cheaply.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:56 pm »

Na, go straight for the Spit., after all, 17 & 18 year olds used to fly the full sized ones with little or no training.   :-))
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

andyn

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 04:52:19 pm »

It will be in the ground in the first minuit.

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 05:07:28 pm »

Sorry to say it but everyone here is right, they are not for beginners. If you are serious about getting into model aircraft then contact your local club and maybe look into investing in a good computer trainer programme first.

DARLEK1

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:48:27 am »

Why not just take a pre training flight in a real one to see how hard/ easy it is, then when flying a model version it is very easy?
 Just my 2 P worth. You can normally get a pre training hands on flight for about 200 quid in a real one. Like boats, driving a model is not like driving the real thing, wether it is a plane, Helicopter or car or what ever, totally different. Get hands on first, trainer etc? :-)

Paul...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:59:51 am »

Have some fun , yes the advice about getting some hands on experience is good , but for some real hit and miss fun then a foamy could be what you want .
I flew many years ago (not very good) and built my planes from the usual balsa covered frames but also from foam and plastic , the cheapest and easiest is correx (for sale signs) , i dropped a correx plane from a couple of hundred feet into some woods and once i had found it i taped on the wings and fitted a new prop and she was ready to go(never did find the reason) and twenty or so flights later she was still working , all for about a tenner ( plus radio etc).
But for a ready made plane try these   http://www.foamyfactory.com/
brushless electric seams to be the way to go .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

gromarlie

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:00 am »

Why not just take a pre training flight in a real one to see how hard/ easy it is, then when flying a model version it is very easy?
 Just my 2 P worth. You can normally get a pre training hands on flight for about 200 quid in a real one. Like boats, driving a model is not like driving the real thing, wether it is a plane, Helicopter or car or what ever, totally different. Get hands on first, trainer etc? :-)

Paul...

Spoken as someone who has tried his own advice?
Speaking as a model flyer and full size pilot - the theory of control may be the same but being in the aircraft and able to feel the forces involved is totally different to trying to control one from the ground where you have only your sight to rely to let you know what is happening (and the times involved are greatly reduced for a model). By all means advocate a training flight but only as an experience of full sized flight not that of flying a model they require different skills. <:(

DARLEK1

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »

What are you on matey? I said it wasn't the same? DOH! :o
Paul...

gromarlie

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 07:06:33 am »

So the point of saying it was ? <:(

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:20 am »

Go the trainer route!  You could probably launch the Spitfire, throw it round the sky and convince yourself you're in control - then comes the controlled arrival bit.....good pilots call them landings - it's not as easy as you might think.

I'm still on powered gliders / hi - wingers and still get it wrong. Built an electric Bearcat (balsa and monokote) but won't fly it until I get 10 consequetive 'good' flights and landings with my 'plastic fantastics' - had the Bearcat 4 years now!

As for good model / real pilots - My good friend, an ex-RAF squadron leader and qualifed glider instructor - can't fly models at all, nor can he drive an RC car - totally useless!
If he can't feel it through the seat of his pants - he can't handle it.......weird eh?

chrise

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:30 am »

I have flown R/c models for 30 years and had occassional hands on in full size for 40 years - I qualified as a glider pilot 40 years ago.

I would say that there is a link between the two but it is at the understanding level rather than doing one lets you do the other. It may well speed up the learning process but I think not much more.

As to the choice of model. To learn you need something that will sort out your mistakes and be easy to control. A 3 channel trainer type model. I would also say that having somebody who can fly to set the model up & help with the first few flights is an invaluable help.

Finally be careful where you fly. The wrong type of model is a weapon and can seriously injure or kill. I would never fly anything other than a very slow small model if I wasn't fully insured.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 02:04:13 pm »

Same full size as Chris E, ( wern't t'ATC wonderful, thanks very much) The only similarity and advantage of full size is the theory of flight. Amusing how most who see toy aircraft zobbing about want to start with a "Spit", thats if they know what one looks like today. "Park Flyer", what a contradiction in description, even experienced fliers would be hard pressed to fly these in a "Park" in total safety with the "Blame - Claim" society. Sorry, my previous posting was  ;D

You need a trainer (Preferably WITHOUT engine), someone who CAN twiddle the sticks competantly and wide open spaces. Bet it can still manage to find the only rock in the field.

Regards  Ian.

chrise

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 02:28:25 pm »

Circlip

I learnt in a Segberg. Were you the same or the old Mk111?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 02:36:58 pm »

Both, started in the lopsider and then front seat of the Mk.III  Ah, the memories of rain, like having yer eyes pierced wiv Needles,  Kirton Lindsey. 62

:-))

chrise

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 05:38:44 pm »

Cosford '69  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) I was too tall for a Mk111. As a motorcyclist - passed my the test day after my 16th birthday after riding around a farm for years & then had a 650 BSA waiting at home - the rain was not unknown. Mind you the bike was not reliable enough to get wet very often! The BSA insurance at £8 per year "third party only" for a 16year old on a 650 still sounds cheap.

Age 16yrs 4 months & coming off the top of the winch @1000ft & looking around first solo still rates as one of life's "great moments".

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 06:50:46 pm »

As some of the more experienced model flyers on here will confirm, the Spitfire has an eliptical wing... and it tapers right down to a virtual point. The Spitfire is the very LAST model you want to fly as a learner as it is likely to 'tip stall' at low airspeed. The root of the wing has a deep chord (wide) and will give lift at low speed, however the airflow over the wing spills off the tips and as they do not posses the same lift characteristics as the root they lose lift much earlier and consequently the aeroplane will drop one wing and spiral uncontrollably into the gound.
Choose a naturally stable model with wings mounted on top of the fuselage, a model which is light and with some dihedral (wings which angle upwards away from the fuselage) and avoid tapered section wings. Go for a parallel wing shape and most importantly... and this is the really important bit.... get an experienced model flyer to show you how to fly, otherwise take a couple of carrier bags with you! <:(

It is easier to fly a full size than a model, you can 'feel' an aircraft when sitting in it but with your model, you are detached and can only rely on your experience, your sight and reaction times.

Take heed, the pilots on here know a thing or two and you would be wise to take their advice if you want to be successful.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 08:19:50 pm »

My good friend, an ex-RAF squadron leader and qualifed glider instructor - can't fly models at all, nor can he drive an RC car - totally useless!
If he can't feel it through the seat of his pants - he can't handle it.......weird eh?

This is my fear about radio-sailing. I've done the real thing for 35+ years, and I'd be dying of embarassment if I couldn't handle a model in the same (or similar) way.  :embarrassed: Hence my desire for a footy (or other) is on hold until I can "get a go" and convince myself.

Incidentally, I radio-slope-soared for many years during the mid-late-eighties, and while sticking to two-channel, constant-chord, high wings, I always took a tube of five minute Araldite with me. :-)) Turned many a ten-minute trip to the slopes into an enjoyable day.  :embarrassed:

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

The long Build

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »

In my youth not so long ago I thought That I would take up building and flying model planes , the building part was fun and I feel that I did a good job on the few planes I built..  So out I went with My Futabs FP T7FG/K TX (incidental this also has a trainer slot) but I didn't need that, thought that it could not be much more difficult than sailing a boat !!..

Off I went with 2 other friends who also had built planes to what was Stretton Airfield , Take off Fine , Flying well that was a bit haphazard  the landing , well I let you be the judge of that one.

We counted 3 Whole planes out , we had alot of firewood coming home with us.

In hindsite what we did was B£$%£$%dy Stupid , I  would certainly Recommend getting training . as when I think about it the planes came very close to us at times .

Now no Laughing Please... <*<

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.