Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Australian customs  (Read 4167 times)

ZIPPY

Australian customs
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:42:54 pm »

Hi everyone my names Andy and i am new to the forum.I am curentlly building a 6ft model of the Australian customs boat.I have posted a picture to see what you think.I dont have any plans or drawings for the boat so i had to use photos found on the net.I did enquire about plans but Austal would not release anything for third party model building.I even contacted the Australian customs and got a bit of help but not much.I do hope you like the build so far.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Australian customs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:45:48 pm »

Nice looking model.
She looks like she will take some ballasting.
What motors are powering her?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ZIPPY

Australian customs
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:52:05 pm »

Hi my names Andy and im new to the forum.I have already posted this once but i think it may be in the wrong place so i hope this ones ok.I am curentlly building a 6ft model of the Australian customs boat,i dont have any plans or drawings just a handfull of photos.I contacted Austal but the would not relase and data for third party model building as with the Australian customs,however the customs did release some good photos which have helped alot.The boat is about half done upto now but still alot more to go at.I have enclosed a picture so i hope you enjoy it. :-))

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:10:10 pm »

Hi Andy.

If that's all done from just photos then you deserve a good pat on the back. She looks superb!
Cheers,
Ian.
 8)

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »

Brilliant!  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

ZIPPY

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:14:01 pm »

Hi guys, thanks for the comments :-)) The only part Ian that isnt scratch built is the bottom of the hull.I had a powerboat hull which in full scale would be very simular to the customs dimensions so i removed the sides and the deck also the back and rebuilt them all to match the customs vessel.The full size boat is unpainted alluminium so the first super structure i built was sheet alluminium over plasticard but i couldnt stop the ally going black and decided to rebuild it and paint it grey.All the lights on the mast work as does the radars,i am now on with a fully illuminated wheel house which when finished all the moniters and radar screens will be illuminated.I know its a challenge but i have already built the moniters and dash just need to print the screens and backlight them.
                         Thanks again for the comments.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:32:16 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Andy.

It's a good looking model, especially considering you are working from photos.  :-))

Like you, I contacted Austal when I decided to build a model of the Armidale class patrol boat, but received no reply whatsoever. I believe, talking to other modellers, that Austal are not at all co-operative towards the modelling fraternity.

Peter.

ZIPPY

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:44 am »

Hi everyone and i thank you all again for your kind comments. :-)) The motor i am using is a single plettenberg  HP 370BM/50/A1S with a SCHULZE FUTURE 40.160WK speed controller and 4 packs of 18.5 volt 5 cell lipos running paralell and in series giving me 38v and 9000 mah.I hope thats helped you Bob. :-)) As for the ballast Bob if i were to introduce ballest to the boat it would no longer be surface drive but submerged drive. :-))

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:27 am »

Hi guys, thanks for the comments :-)) ,i am now on with a fully illuminated wheel house which when finished all the moniters and radar screens will be illuminated.I know its a challenge but i have already built the moniters and dash just need to print the screens and backlight them.
                         Thanks again for the comments.

Maybe one of the moderators can help here,  Umi_Ryuzuki did a piece on illuminated radar screens and CRT screens last fall I believe. It was easy to do and excellent results. Problem is, I can't find it in the search. Looking up the wrong key word in the search I think.

John

ZIPPY

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:21:53 am »

That sounds good John its a shame you cant find it because that would of been a great help :-)

jules64

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:38:01 am »

ZIPPY

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:52:21 am »

Thanks for that Jules i have just had a look and they are verry detailed and verry impresive to look at,take a verry steady hand to work in that scale.I have contacted a few lcd display manufactorers around the globe but not able to create somthing that small,or not as a one of anyway.Maybe if i were to order a million units. {-)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 12:21:58 pm »

Have a look here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15721.msg154448#msg154448

Best wishes
Jules

Good lad Jules. I can tell the wife my mind isn't failing after all.  {-)
Thanks
John

nick_75au

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:24:02 pm »

what about a micro digital photo frame, Ive got one thats smaller than 1" square that was a key chain.
Nick

ZIPPY

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 03:09:45 pm »

Thanks for that Nick,sounds interesting.Never even knew the existed to be honest.I will investigate the matter further. :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.