Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another fake email scam  (Read 2555 times)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
Another fake email scam
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:21:22 pm »

Just been send so watch out

Sent: 29 April 2009 06:35
To: undisclosed-recipients
Subject: Tax Refund Notification
Tax Refund Notification
After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 1527.29 GBP. Please submit the tax refund request and allow 6-9 days in order to process it.

Click Here to submit you tax refund request
Note : A refund can be delayed a variety of reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.
Yours Sincerely
HM Revenue & Customs

I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another fake email scam
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:04 pm »

Don't be alone out there, my wife and I have had a few of those over the last year. They are instantly spammed and deleted! (probably come from Nigeria, like a lot of the other "come-ons" at the moment.)

Danny

knoby

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »

I was amazed to find i had won the Nigerian state lottery last Saturday, i don't even remember buying a ticket. fortunately  the kind people at the lottery have offered to transfer the winnings to my bank account if i supply them with the details. They also require me to scan my passport & email it to them to prove my identity. I was a little surprised to find they have a yahoo email address, you would have thought the state lottery would have had a better email address. still its a relatively poor country , so i suppose its understandable.

anyway, sent them all the information they requested & am looking forward to spending my millions on some great model boats

cheers Glenn

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:04:35 pm »

Well if i knew it could be done via E-mail it would have saved me the price of airline tickets  >>:-(.
Hi ho better catch my flight to Nigeria  %% .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:37:12 am »

I think I have been caught on a different Internet Scam. I am in the process of trying to retrieve the situation.

Our children are scattered across the world and we keep in touch via Web Cam chats. Number 2 son said "Get Skype, then the calls are free and the Web Cam window is full screen". I used a search engine to find "Skype" signed up for a "3 year subscription at 23.91€" but the username and password with which I was issued do nothing.

Skype UK have told me that it is not them as Skype is free. Their Email was very guarded and reading between the lines I think they were attempting to tell me it was a scam without providing any evidence which could be used against themselves.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? It is not a great deal of money but I would love to cause the rogues some  trouble!

Roger in France

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:03:46 am »

We might laugh and joke about these things, but in all honesty, a lot of people are not as 'clued up' as the likes of us, and do fall into the traps very easily.

I even had one from my bank, or so it said. It was a perfect replica of what my bank would send me, but asking for verification of my password. To the layman, they would have thought no more of it and supplied it. The next thing they would know, their account would be empty.

It is easy for these people to find information about you, and what banks you use, but unless you supply them with the information, they can't usually go any further.

A bona fide request will NEVER ask for passwords or the like. If it does, then it is almost 100% guaranteed to be a scam. So rather than ignoring it, send a copy to whoever the email was supposed to be coming from. They take a very dim view of things like that, and have ways of tracing and bringing the perps to justice. Every bit of information you can pass on to them will take things a little further along the road to getting it stopped.

It is that 'just ignore thing and delete it' that lets them get away with it for so long.

It is a sad fact that such a wonderful thing like the internet is used for illegal purposes, but that is just the way it is. All we can do is try to help to bring it under control ourselves.

Bogs

SlimRick

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:53 pm »

This new scam is being pulled mainly on older men.

What happens is that when you stop for a red light, a young nude woman comes up and pretends to be washing your windshield. While she is doing this, another person opens your back door and steals anything in the car.

They are very good at this. They got me 7 times on Friday and 5 times on Saturday. I wasn't able to find them on Sunday.

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:25 pm »

I think I have been caught on a different Internet Scam. I am in the process of trying to retrieve the situation.

Our children are scattered across the world and we keep in touch via Web Cam chats. Number 2 son said "Get Skype, then the calls are free and the Web Cam window is full screen". I used a search engine to find "Skype" signed up for a "3 year subscription at 23.91€" but the username and password with which I was issued do nothing.

Skype UK have told me that it is not them as Skype is free. Their Email was very guarded and reading between the lines I think they were attempting to tell me it was a scam without providing any evidence which could be used against themselves.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? It is not a great deal of money but I would love to cause the rogues some  trouble!

Roger in France

So what webaite did you use to sign up for this bogus 3 year subscription?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:49:23 pm »

Roger in France
Roger the sad truth is naff all can be done . First you have to find them eraser said that done.Then you have to take them to some sought of court eraser said than done ,watch that company disappear or fold. All for €24 not worth it. If you have used VISA let them know and they will chase the buggers and possible give you a refund. That why no mater what the amount I all ways use visa on the net .It the best protection us consumer have.

John

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:04:07 am »

The biggest clue that these emails are fake (besides the large amount of money that they say is coming your way) is the email address is always a free email account Yahoo etc. Then of course there is the senders name usually a Doctor or a solicitor or Esq after their name. The Nigerians must think that  Dr or solicitor gives the  email credibility however the spelling and grammer in these emails are that of a child and then there is the big "don't go there" of We need your Name, Age, Address, phone number, Occupation etc...... They keep on trying and unfortunately because they put out so many emails there is a small percentage of people who must fall for it. I am unsure why it is Nigeria that seems to be the major source of these emails however I was told that it is not against the law in that country to solicit this type of email.

Just as a footnote I have been getting a few emails recently all in capitals and bold and no Dr or Solicitor would do that, would they??? {-) {-) {-)

Regards David

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 07:29:51 am »

Info on Skype. While computer to computer calls are free they do have various schemes if you are going to be calling other lines.
http://www.answers.com/topic/skype
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype
http://www.skype.com

Which search engine did you use to find the "bogus" site? Your son could have saved you all the hassle by sending you an invite from this page http://www.skype.com/intl/en/share/tellafriend/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:16:02 pm »

This is not another fake email scam.  {:-{

This is actually a genuine email scam  O0 {-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:27:05 pm »

Which reminds me of the notices I saw in Kusadasi, Turkey recently - "Genuine Fake Watches!"

Colin

grandad

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 02:57:04 am »

the buggers almost did get me and held me spellbound for weeks
the notice told me that my cousin and his family had been killed in a car crash in Kenya true i did have a cousin by the name that was in the scan and true he and his entire family had been killed in a crash not a car crash as stated but a plane crash and yes the plane crashed in Kenya
it went on to say that my cousin was a vip with a famous oil company here in the states --true
it went on to state that my cousin was a multi millionaire --again true
I KNOW ALL OF THIS  TO BE TRUE BECAUSE MY COUSIN  WAS ALSO A FRIEND and we corresponded weekly
the e mail was from a goverment lawyer  in Kenya and said that he wad been apointed by the government to find the next of kin (which I am)
the wording in the letter was very sofiscated and legally rite
then kame the kicker which told me that the letter was a scam
they wanted me to sent them the cost of having a courer bring the check to me
the amount was sizable
naturally the cost would be taken from the check when the courer presented me with the check but I had to sent the money right off
i had copied each and every E Mail and my answeres and it wa a sizable folderI turned the entire thing over to a friend who was an international agent  INCOP
arrests were made and I have never recieved another scam as such

grandad

steamboatmodel

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:05 pm »

The latest one is you get a email form some one you know, saying they have been robbed and have lost all there ID and money and could you wire them money by Western Union. I receive three of these in the last week, The first one arrived while I was having coffee with the poor victim, he said the only robbery he had had was with his wife and his credit card. When he got home he phoned me to congratulate me on breaking the sound barrier, maybe even the speed of light, there was a email supposedly from me in New Zealand asking for money. We asked around and found that another friend had problems with his computer and viruses. The Virus gets in and copied your email contacts, this is then used to send to everyone on your list. I talked with a police friend and he advised that it you think the email is genuine reply and have them phone you, and what he said about Western Union I won't repeat.
Regards,
Gerald.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.