Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: revell wolfpack  (Read 4674 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
revell wolfpack
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:18:38 am »

Hi, the paint jobs are finally finished, in past posts i explained how my dad and my brother both wanted the exact same paint job as mine, but i was hoping to twist my brothers arm to have at least the rust in different places but as you can see i failed to do so.

So in that case you can play spot the differnce

First prize is..... well.... nothing :D

Grant :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: revell wolfpack
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:38:40 am »

Wow, 3  :o

Talk about taking the Micky! I'm struggling with one build and here you with 3 all ready to go!
Are they diving or surface only?

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:41:32 am »

Hi martin, i wish they were ready to go but i still have to build the wtc's for them

but they will be static diving using a dave welch unit

Thanks

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:49:33 pm »

"Dave Welch" unit ? ?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ambernblu

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:02:13 pm »

Martin...

See http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1105.msg8823#msg8823

Cheers, Brian

Grant - Wonderful mate!!!!!  ;)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:15:57 pm »

Cheers Brian,

Martin, Dave Welch is the person in the states who produces the wtc's for the revell type 7's its where we got ours from. He also does units for the trumpeter seawolf and Kilo.

however another Dave who runs pandan models (over here in somerset) is now as far as i know importing these units so you can go to him. He will suplly you with pretty much all the electrics etc you need. We have stuff on order from him such as batteries which he has been experimenting with to give the longest run time possible. (alot more convenient than going to the states)

hes a really nice guy, if your interested Martin i suggest getting in touch with him. I think Brian (ambernblu) already has about his sub.

Next painting project will probably be re-spraying dads big sheerline type 7 he bought second hand and guess what he wants it the sameas these!!!!  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:11:53 pm »

Looking good there, now to get them working  :D Any pics of the Sheerline?

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 07:19:34 pm »

The quality of your ageing and rust absoultely amazes me.

I am nearing completion on my Raf launch and want a similar effect. I have read the instructions and spoken to friends but it still makes me so nervous.

2 years building and five minutes wrecking it, doing it wrong!

Oh, What to do!
Rubbin is Racin!

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:34:54 am »

hi, thanks guys

can get pics of the sheerline at some point, just need dad to get it out of the box/coffin :D

i wont dare touch it in case i break something, i'd never hear the last of it :D

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 11:21:21 am »

Grant,

As I said mate if you need a holiday you are welcome to stay here, but of course it will cost you, two weathered jobs....

Great job on all three ...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 12:29:06 pm »

Thanks Roy :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 02:02:42 pm »

Just a couple of mine.  I'm afraid my weathering isn't up to your standard and it sin't made as the same sub but I do like the way it looks and handles on the water. 

It is only a surface runner though but I really did want to see all the detail of the model so I wanted it to sail at the normal ballasted waterline rather than at the decks awash level.

Here is a link to a build thread I did of it for the Scale-Models forum:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2410

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:16:27 am »

looks good mate :), may i ask where you got that flag from? as i would quite like to have one on mine. and what is the gun on ythe conning tower it doesnt look like the kit one. the wethering is good i particularly like the rust on the trim tanks and the dirt around the exhausts, i didnt have the guts to do the exhaust marks or go as heavy on the rust as you on the trim tanks as i didnt want to push my luck and make it look TOO much if you know what i mean, people always tell me that the art of weathering is knowing when to stop so seeing as everyone semmed to like it, i quit while i was ahead afterall this was my first attempt at weathering anything.

thanks

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 10:27:49 am »

just been looking more closely, and noticed that you have more detail on your trim tanks such as those round hatch type things (not sure what they are as you can tell ;D), and as i said the gun looks different .

Is it the revell one or have i misunderstood what it is, or have you just added these things.

grant :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:39:22 pm »

Grant, Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.  Funnily enough I think your weathering is far better than mine which just goes to show that we are never completely happy with our own work.  I think your weathering is perfect and really make the model come to life.

Very observant with the few bits, I suppose when you have made one you know them quite intimately.  I used a standard Revel kit but I added a White Ensign PE set, which is what you can see on the gun and the saddle tank lids, and I used a laser cut wooden deck set, also bought from White Ensign.  The PE set enhances the bridge area very nicely.

The flag is a BECC one and was one of the most satisfying little additions.  When you have sealed the edges, cut it and glued it to the rope you can then roll it in your fingers to produce a very realistic hanging look.

Most of the weathering you can see on the saddle tanks is a wash put over Johnsons Kleer and sealed with a matt varnish.  If you have a look at the build thread on Scale Models you will see what I mean.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 05:46:14 pm »

Thanks mate, your right im never really satisfied, i always find something i could have done, but you have to stop somewhere or nothing would ever get finished.

i figured just now that it was probably a PE set 'cos i remember seeing one before i started but decided against it as extras would add weight and didnt want to make ballasting harder than it is. i want to keep the ballasting as easy as possible so i left off any PE and used the other conning tower as yours has that bulge on one side so i figured that may unbalance it. (i dont know ive never done a sub before so dont know what to expect)

due to its small size i guessed that every little thing would make a difference

do you have a website or contact details for where i can get the flag. and is it 1/72 (i gather it is) and do you get the rope with it?

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 07:29:33 pm »

Hi Grant,  this is the outfit for the flags:

http://www.modelflags.com/

basically you decide on what size you actually want and pick the relevent size from thier list.  The U-boat one is easy, simply measure up the paper one you get with the kit and order the same size.

This will be the one you require, just work out what size you want:

http://www.modelflags.com/acatalog/D51_German_Naval_Ensign_1933_-_1945.html

The flags come pre-printed onto a fine cloth so the first job is to seal the edges along the black guidelines.  I used Cyano for this.  When that has completely dried cut out the flag with a sharp blade and the Cyano should stop the edge from fraying.

You then lay your cotton along the edge and fold over and glue the edge of the flag.  Once again I used Cyano for this and to get it all nice and flat I put cling film on either side of the flag then some weights as it dried.  When this has dried remove the clingfilm and then start to work the flag in your fingers.  I creased mine first aling diagonals from the top post corner to the bottom free one then rolled it to create more natural folds.  It can get scary and it can end up a mess but we have to learn somehow!!

I have done a couple of other flags since and they have worked just as well.  Then of course you thread the cotton as you want on your model.  I left enough to form a coil at the bottom of the staff and hung it on the hand rail.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 09:48:20 am »

thanks m8. ill look into getting one (or three). thanks for the instructions aswell, appreciate it.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07:12 am »

Just thought id give a bit of an update,

Hadnt worked on them for a while now until recently. We've drilled the main holes in the rear end caps for all 3 (the hardest one) and it has to be deadly accurate as the rubber seal is recessed so far that there is absolutely no room for error, these havent been finished as Dave Keogh at pan dan models is working on getting screws small enough for the motor mounts as rather stupidly they dont come with them. And i need the screws to get an exact placement for the gear recesses. Also because of the recessed rubber seal the outer screws can only go in at a maximum of 2mm before breking through the end cap and touching the rubber and thus ruining the seal, trust me we ruined one end cap when we started so now we're using that as a test bed to see where things can go (so now im an end cap short and have to wait for dave welch to get more in stock >:( >:( ) 2mm doesnt seem much, but trying it it seems to have a very strong bite in the end cap.

I'm now in the process of widening the holes for the propshafts, again little room for error in the shaft supports.

But they're getting there.

And im desperately hoping that the gato wtc will give a bit more room to work with, it would make life easier

Grant :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.