Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Skype  (Read 4500 times)

The long Build

I have recently loaded this with the intention of being able to video phone some relatives across the pond.   However I have just noticed that on the Birchwood thread where the traders are listed with tel numbers that there is an Icon next to it enabling me to dial it, almost like an internet link , Is this Normal ??

stallspeed

Re: Skype
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:04:20 am »

It is your Skype program that is doing that to all numbers and those who have appended a Skype signiature.
It saves dialing.
You have to buy call time beyond the free 10 pence or whatever they give now,to connect to phones..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:24:50 am »

Skype is very good.

From my computer:
International to any other skype user, free. Including video calls. Our daughter is in UK studying and we are in China. We live the video channel/call open as she studies and we work at the PC. It is like she is at home in the next room. Somehow comforting.

International to a land line, about 1p per minute and there is also a log of calls. Useful to remind me who I have called, and to see if my wife called about the thing I asked her to (saves me bugging her if I don't need to).

I was reluctant to plug in to a new computer service at first, but skype has been a boon to us. Unlike facebook, which I find a bit of a pain in butt.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:19:58 am »

I have only just downloaded Skype and installed it on my desktop and the wifes laptop.  We have tested it round the house and so far I am incredibly impressed with the ease of setting it up as well as the ease of using it.  I'm going to test it out with some international friends but the advantages of having it available when I am at work in the United States and the wife is at home are obvious.

No problems so far and very easy to use so I can't fault it.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:27:23 am »

I use Skype a lot to speak to family in NZ and forum members in the USA, Spain, Oz and Canada, as well as family and friends in this country.

Its great to see who you are talking to, plus video calling is free.

Excellent product and free to down load. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:55:55 am »

What are the costs involved?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:06 am »

It is so good, I have got rid of my normal land line and only use Skype and my mobile. I subscribed to their European network, which means for 2.99 a month I can call ANY European land line free at any time. No catches. I bought one of their phones, which are not cheap, but it works just like an ordinary one. Reckon we are saving over 40.00 a month now.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:07:29 am »

Computer to computer is nothing, apart from your ISP subscription, even if using the web cam.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 09:09:59 am »

Footski

You have got rid of your landline so how do you connect to the internet?

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:45:39 am »

Footski

Bob.

Cable?

stallspeed

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 10:20:56 am »

UK or to same country
£2.95/month
£3.39 incl. VAT
EU residents only

Unlimited Europe
£3.95/month
£4.54 incl. VAT

Unlimited World(40 countries)
£6.95/month
£7.99 incl. VAT 

Unlimited US & Canada
£1.45/month
£1.67 incl. VAT
EU residents only
Unlimited calls to landlines and cell phones* in the United States and Canada.
*fair usage policy

Unlimited Mexico
£2.95/month
£3.39 incl. VAT
EU residents only
Unlimited calls to landlines* in Mexico City, Monterrey, Guadalajara

The per minute call rates should be available without the download.

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 11:22:16 am »

Footski

Bob.

Bob,

We have a satellite based Internet Connection. Living out in the country the old phone was a satellite system too.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:28:08 am »

Set up is free.

In China, we use the pay as we go option. $10 lasts us for months as we mostly call skype to skype (free)

Occasionally call landlines, international about 1p a minute.
Calling mobiles is much more. Can't rmember how much, but still cheaper than using the land line to call out.

We don't have a skype phone, we just used headset on our PC.

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 12:51:06 pm »

Skype phones for computer to telephone, on the net are very cheap, just search for VOIP phone, they work perfectly with Skype. You should get one for a tenner or less (plus the usual delivery garbage).

For proper Skype work, the free computer to computer with video, I tend to use a headset with a tiny boom mike, purely because I then don't disturb anyone who is watching say the telly by having the speakers on.

The cheapest way for computer to computer is to buy a wecam with a built in mic, and use the speakers on the computer. My last very good resolution cam with a mic built in, of which part I don't use, was about 7 squid.

All this is of no use of course, unless you have the skypename or email address of the person you want to call, you have to use Skype to trace them first, and get them onto your list of contacts.

Bogs (bandit175)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »

Distance seems to work better, 3 miles range to talk to son is abismal, Bradford to Boggy has its drop out moments (Crewe), Bradford to Ottery (Exeter) Much better, Malaysia - super, and me mate in Michigan Excellent.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:40 am »

Well , Dug out and old Logitech Clicksmart 310 Camera/Vid cam out ,(bit naf but will do for the moment)  downloaded the drivers from Logitech (quicker than trying to find the disc) swapped skype Ids and we were up and running. Have spoken to the rels in the states.

Think this is far as we will go at the moment but will be checking out subscriptions as above to see if it would work out any cheaper..

Can you have multiple people on line , sort of video conferencing ?

:-)) :-))

bogstandard

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 01:11:48 am »

Can you have multiple people on line , sort of video conferencing ?

Yes you can, but I don't think the video works, just sound. At least the vid doesn't work when I conference with friends in the US.

What do you want for nothing? :} :}

Bogs

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 05:53:19 am »

I'm a bit confused over this 'costs' business?

We have Skype, use it all of the time to speak to friends in OZ and Johannesburg - FREE - doesn't cost us anything.

I thought that was the whole point?

Malc

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 06:09:51 am »

If you Skype to Skype (computer to computer) it is free. But not everybody we want to call has a Skype account.

If you use Skype to call landlines, or mobile phones, there is a fee. Some people have done away with their landline phones completely and are using Skype for all phone calls. I think that is where the monthly packages come in, but stand to be corrected.

We use the Skype pay as you go for calls to landlines, instead of a monthly package.

barryfoote

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 08:15:37 am »

Quite right tiger tiger. i have done away with my land line and for 2.99 a month I can ring any landline in Europe free of charge. I have had it now for several months and it really is superb. I even have a Manchester telephone number attached to it so that when my Dad calls me, it only costs him a local rate call instead of International to Spain..

The long Build

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 08:20:17 am »

Yes you can, but I don't think the video works, just sound. At least the vid doesn't work when I conference with friends in the US.

What do you want for nothing? :} :}

Bogs

You can but try. :} :}
looking on the web it does seem possible but you have to download 3rd party software , and set yourself up as a mini type server , not sure it would be worth it.  Found ou that Ebay seem to own skype.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 09:05:24 am »

Found ou that Ebay seem to own skype.

....but are reported to want to sell it.

Barrie

das boot

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:59 am »

OK, you techie boys...I have a new Samsung R510 laptop with a remote dongle on the 3 network, and also a mobile Skype phone on the 3 network. If I get my lady who is in Vancouver, Canada, the same phone....can I call her for free?

If not...how do I call her using Skype?

Ta

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 01:39:22 pm »

Rich,
She does not need a phone as such. If she has a headset and a microphone, you can call each other for free. You bith need to load Skype onto your computers, input each others email address and away you go..

Barry

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:11 pm »

Download Skype onto the laptop, Follow the instructions re a sign in name, make sure she does the same on the other end (Computer) and away you go. If you've both got video cams and a Mic on the computers you can flash EYES at each other. Just supplied some machining instructions to a "Mate" in Michigan, FOR FREEEEEEEEE.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.