Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do i build a hull with no plans.  (Read 8302 times)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: how do i build a hull with no plans.
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 09:18:39 pm »

Not sure if we are talking at cross purposes here, I use the 6mm ply for the transverse hull profile frames, there is no bending required for these.

The ply you have, is it exterior or interior? exterior is built up with better adhesives than interior.

Using 6mm ply spaced as I suggested will be fine. I have used this method several times, the largest being on a 4ft model (see Blue Marlin in the masterclass section), and currently on Bourbon Orca in the working vessels section of 'dry dock'.

Remember also that each plank is glued to its neighbour as well as the frame, it really is a strong method of construction. Once built, you may consider coating with epoxy and glass cloth making a good strong hull.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

ZIPPY

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 10:22:43 pm »

Found a website called Robbins timber marine surpplies.They do a sheet of multi layered birch ply i think it was about 1.5m x 2.3m or somewhere around that size and it was 9mm thick but also did 6mm,the price was about £35.They also do bundles of off cuts which consist of 10 pieces of mixed hardwood of different lengths and thicknes these are solid and may be of use to you guys who do a llot of planking,they were about £14 but the more you buy the cheeper it gets.Well worth taking a look. :-))

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 10:26:01 pm »

Robbins are a good timber supplier, I have used them for building at 1:1 scale.

I think they are a bit pricey for models though, unless you are going for museum quality and not painting the finished article.

Ian

AlanP

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 10:41:52 pm »

Hi Ian, been following this thread in the hope of some pointers with Delftship, but it seems to have drifted off on to timber  <:(   I know you have a lot of spare time on your hands  ;) so for the thick people like me would you consider doing a tutorial with Delftship on a very simple hull.  I have been trying to draw a round bottomed barge but it always ends up looking like a schooner  :embarrassed:

Alan

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 07:58:48 am »

Yikes! a delftship tutorial?

I will have to think about how best to do this  %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 10:14:12 am »

as Ian says........... "Yikes! a delftship tutorial?" .......would be appreciated world wide by our Mayhem members Ian.....  %% :-)) O0 ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.