Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Southampton (Wyeforce)  (Read 24268 times)

Cargo

Graupner Southampton (Wyeforce)
« on: April 08, 2006, 12:02:34 pm »

My Graupner Southampton (or how long does it take to build a clyde puffer?) was bought in 2004, after starting the big time consuming adventure of an mayhem-build? ;D

Ok, to have some fun at the lake in the meantime i bought it on ebay, three days later it arrived. It is ARTF, but unlike a dickie tug it is no toy and is has got a proportional 27 Mhz radio. I replaced it with a 40 Mhz ACT Receiver + a 2100 Mah Akku. Size is 560 mm x 195 mm, two 7,2V engines but only one speedcontroller running in two fixed cortnozzels. The boat is a bit to fast and it still looks a bit plastic-like.

? ?

Then i decided to rework the wheelhouse a bit, some wood, GPS + Radar + Machinecontrolls made of photoetched parts. The captain is made of white-metal.

regards,

Jan

Ps.: my english may vary a bit from yours...? ;)

Tug Guy

Re: Graupner Southampton (Wyeforce)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 05:23:03 pm »

I am curious as to how the Clyde puffer build is coming along? I have a large 48" Clyde puffer I bought as a semi kit from Pandora model in Marina Del ray, California years back.

bobdoc

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 05:41:08 pm »

I am curious as to how the Clyde puffer build is coming along? I have a large 48" Clyde puffer I bought as a semi kit from Pandora model in Marina Del ray, California years back.

MMM is a great site which I visit regularly. The anticipation of progress with the puffer build is getting intense!

Cargo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 05:55:08 pm »

But dont forget he has family, work and a great website to handle and NOW a forum 8)

splodger

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:21:35 pm »

I had one of those Graupner Southamptons, and it let water in all the time, nothing I did seemed to cure it. I've never had that problem with a boat before & gave up in the end and sold it. Does yours leak like mine did?

Braders

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 06:37:48 pm »

Its Ok you chatting about the puffer build timescale (well sort of timescale), I had to throw the paint away I had bought to spray the puffer hull with, it had been sitting in the workshop that long it had gone off !!

I may bar Martins access to ebay soon, that should move the puffer build along nicely !!

Bradders  ;)

Cargo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 06:50:59 pm »

I had one of those Graupner Southamptons, and it let water in all the time, nothing I did seemed to cure it. I've never had that problem with a boat before & gave up in the end and sold it. Does yours leak like mine did?

After looking over the hatches i decided to test them under the shower, no water inside. The same on the lake, no water inside.

Hallo Braders,

i have no problem with the time-scale, i know that Martin and you are doing a great job :)   

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.newquaymodelboatclub.org.uk
    • my club site
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 03:47:52 pm »

thats the thing with model tugs they're always fast

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 06:53:04 pm »

He's only working to the same time scale I am. It will get finished just like my crash tender. maybe.

Marc
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:24 pm »

Hi ya Riggers mate,

Did you know fibre glass deteriorates over a length of time? ;D? next time you go and look at your model there might just be dust there? :o :o

Is this the type of time scale you are thinking of? ??? ??? ???

Anyway hurry up and get it done? :P ;D ;D

Aye
John
Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 08:32:12 am »

No there is a good layer of dust on the model which is protecting it from any light ;D

riggers
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Cargo

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 10:22:12 pm »

on the sea...

They both are nearly  ;) in the same scale i think. Nope, the big one is not mine.

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
    • Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 09:06:22 am »

Hello, I have one of the "Southampton" tugs which looks identical to the Graupner model but was sold under the "Hobby Engine" trade mark.  They clearly know that they leak because it comes complete with a sponge!  With mine its one of the propeller tubes. In the end I fitted an automatic bilge pump and (with a larger powerpack) I can use it for hours.  The other problem is the manoeuvrability.  I've  put in a 4 channel receiver and twin ESC's so I can operate the "engines" independently.  I saw the real Wyeforce the other day coming into Southampton water from the river Itchen.
Cheers, Peter T
Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club ...meets at Setley Pond in the New Forest, near Brockenhurst, southern England, UK. Scale and Yacht racing sections.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk
http://www.srcmbc.org.uk for Photo & Movie galleries, Members adverts

splodger

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 09:23:59 am »

Interesting that your Graupner Southampton leaks the same as mine did Peter. I gave up in the end, it was only ever intended as a fun model anyway, so I never even thought about getting all complicated with a bilge pump like you did. The prop shafts were the problem, though I couldn't understand why they leaked as badly as they did. My local model shop sent some back to RipMax for just that reason. Nice little model all the same.

Cargo

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 09:53:43 am »

No problems with water inside so far... i hope it will stay this way  ;)

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 03:42:33 pm »

splodger,
yes, but for me it was  an interesting model to persevere with  because the Wyeforce used to dock outside my workplace and also I know someone who used to work on her I live on the river Itchen and the model has had many outings just upstream from where Itchen Marine, her owners,  are based.

Jan, I know at least one other model that does not leak so you will probably stay lucky!
Peter
Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club ...meets at Setley Pond in the New Forest, near Brockenhurst, southern England, UK. Scale and Yacht racing sections.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Cargo

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 10:08:53 pm »

Jan, I know at least one other model that does not leak so you will probably stay lucky!
Peter

this Sunday i am at the lake, i report then  :)

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 07:27:48 am »

Some photos of mine on the River Itchen this morning (the sun was only just up),
Peter T

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Cargo

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:16 pm »

Very nice pictures  :) :)

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 06:53:51 pm »

Thanks Jan,
In the first the Wyeforce was spinning in its own length while I took the photo - the advantages of indendent twin prop control!
Peter T,
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Cargo

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 08:06:03 pm »

Can you tell me how to unscrew the deck? 

Pointy

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 08:32:28 pm »

Hey Jan,

How much time do you get on the water with the power pack it comes with?

Anyone got a Thunder Tiger fishing boat or an Atlantic Tug?

Cargo

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 08:36:24 pm »

Not long, maybe 20 minutes. It has only 600 mah. I use three packs, 2500 and two 2300Mah, enough for a day ;)

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 08:33:23 am »

Can you tell me how to unscrew the deck?
Jan, yes.  In addition to the screws that are obvious there are screws hidden under each of the bollards (see diagram).  The ones with red arrows were glued in place on mine and had to be prized off.  The ones with blue arrows are held in place by screws. It's worth labelling the side ones so you know which one goes where. When everything is unscrewed you need to side a knife in just under the lip and gently prize the deck off.  It will seem stiff.  The  deck section extends into the hull about 10mm and there is a rubber ring seal that is easy to damage (particularly when you are re-assembling).
Cheers,
PeterT

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 08:51:19 am »

Hey Jan,

How much time do you get on the water with the power pack it comes with?

Anyone got a Thunder Tiger fishing boat or an Atlantic Tug?

Hi Pointy, 
Jan is correct re running time.  I use a 3300mAh for the motor and a 2100mAh for the electronics which give ample time for me (at least two or three hours). 

I have a Thunder Tiger "Lobmaster" RTR fishing boat - see my avatar.  I've added details like nets, lobster-pots, tyres, ropes etc. plus the figures that you can buy separately.  I've also cut scupper-holes (discovering in the process that the bulwarks are hollow and open into the bouyancy chamber!).  Here's a couple of photos, there are more at...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2406543 in the "Fishing Boats" album and also "On the River Itchen".
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.