Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Southampton (Wyeforce)  (Read 24270 times)

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
    • Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club
Re: Graupner Southampton (Wyeforce)
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2006, 01:44:40 pm »

I will send another message with a labelled photo of the present inside of my model when I've labelled it up.

Here it is. Key:
A = Rx under hatch
B= 2 ESCs under distribution strip
C = electronics battery pack with fuse above
D = PCB to switch on bilge pume (in poly bag)
E = Bilge pump with tubing
F = water level sensor
G = motor battery pack
L = where she leaks!
Cheers,
Peter

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club ...meets at Setley Pond in the New Forest, near Brockenhurst, southern England, UK. Scale and Yacht racing sections.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk
http://www.srcmbc.org.uk for Photo & Movie galleries, Members adverts

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2006, 09:17:05 pm »

i endulged in a bit of towing with my southampton and flipped it on her roof, (oops) see the well boss.... thead.

internals remaind dry and she is in the middle of a re-work now, just waiting for the mixer before i screw the deck down.  also I have retained the use of the original equipment tray, with the battery going in the back compartment.  Southampton was turtled for 10 mins before being recovered.

inside was dry :)

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2006, 08:22:32 am »

i endulged in a bit of towing with my southampton and flipped it on her roof,

Hi Jan, the guy I know whoo used to work on the real Wyeforce said they were always afraid they might do that one day!
PeterT
Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club ...meets at Setley Pond in the New Forest, near Brockenhurst, southern England, UK. Scale and Yacht racing sections.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2006, 12:35:18 am »

At tea time today (5.00) I looked at the Club Event List. Later on in the year is the 'night sail'. "NBG for me", I thought, "no lights!" Then I thought again and (just!) 7 1/2 hours later, and after much drilling, gluing and soldering - not to mention the usual headscratching and occasional cursing - I have running lights and a full set of deck lights. All are LED's, running off a 5v regulated supply - can't read the number on the regulator right now! That's on a 'distribution board' with 4 different voltages (1 variable) so I can make the main mast steaming light brighter than the navigation lights, and have the 'floodlights' on the after deck brighter than the amber deck lights. I just fired it all up and the 9v battery died on me! I think I left it plugged in earlier. My children came down to see what I'd been up to all evening and pronounced me 'SAD'. The 'admiral' had gone to bed earlier. She said the same thing, but spelt it with an 'M' instead of 'S'!

Pix and info to come when I recover!? ;D

Andy

As a PS.... Worked fine last night, this morning the regulator decided it would overvolt and blew the 'super bright' white LED's used for the mast and floodlights. AFTER they'd been glued in place, of course! Seems to have settled down and all the LED's have been replaced, but I may give the white LED's their own 3-4v power off an AA pack.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 03:24:44 pm »

At tea time today (5.00) I looked at the Club Event List. Later on in the year is the 'night sail'. "NBG for me", I thought, "no lights!" Then I thought again and (just!) 7 1/2 hours later, and after much drilling, gluing and soldering - not to mention the usual headscratching and occasional cursing - I have running lights and a full set of deck lights.
Andy

Wow Man,
I've always been curious that the wheelhouse top moldings look like some version might have been designed to have lights. Nice that someone is starting whith this (very authentic model) and taking it that bit further!
Peter T.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2006, 10:32:36 pm »

after flipping her over, Southampton got a re wire for independent motor control,

here is the thread on RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534947

also on the thread is a link to a video

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2006, 04:37:23 pm »

after flipping her over, Southampton got a re wire for independent motor control,
Hi Ghost, I accidently flipped mine a couple of days ago while taking photos ( the contols were taped down and I was looking through the camera so didn't see the approaching collision with a 40 foot ferro cement yacht until it was too late).  Still she survived with only the loss of the searchlight.  Latest photos are at:  http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2600171 (skip to page 2, or for comments, view slideshow and skip to the Wyeforce photos).  I've gone to 4 channels rather than a mixer which gives more control going astern... but I'm till no good at it tho!  However she does spin in her own length...
Cheers,
Peter T.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2006, 03:27:50 pm »

here is a reviw I did of Southampton, it can be found on the model boat mayhem parent site :)

---
Just after Christmas 2005, I purchased a Southampton from A MODEL WORLD, (Northwich), and she is a good boat, need to get some transparent plastic to do the windows of the bottom deck, having tried a power test with her in the bath, tethered, I think that a tow could be done I wound the engines up to full bore holding the tow line and she seemed ok, the deck bollards not moving.

I do like how the battery compartment has its own watertight hatch, underneath the lock-down superstructure, and the way the lock is concealed to the rear servo access hatch, (which makes for good useful storage). that hatch too is weather proof, so as long as nothing silly is done, she should take some good water on the lake without taking on water.

As regards detail, the model is very well detailed for a RTR, and worth the £216 I paid for her, which when you consider say a kit built tug may cost £160 before paint, motors, optional fittings, radio gear ETC, is a good price.

The hull itself certainly looks to be durable, not made of cheap plastic, even though it is quite light. The only thing I can fault, is the fenders, being made of vinyl, to be as soft as rubber tires are on the real model, some of them ripped as the thread that held them to the ship was being fed through the pre-formed holes, also the thread itself isn't particularly wonderful, cheap nylon, so I will get some double sided tape and stick the tires down to the hull.

Southampton on the water.

After charging batteries, it was a case of go down to the local park lake and put the ship in the water to assess how she performs, here are the results as follows.

along with My freighter, Gemini, Southampton was sailed around the lake, at varying speeds and turns to see how she handled, with the results being quite pleasing, the Twin-screw drive performed as well as can be expected with only two-channel control.

The turning circle could do with being a little tighter, taking as she has a radius of around 5 boat lengths, (that may be due to the fact that she is twin-screw twin rudder with no differential effect on the props allowing the speeds to be controlled independently, changing this to 4 channel with twin ESC will probably solve this)

The high superstructure on the deck, in relation to the deck means that the model is prone to weather-cocking, and so sometimes twisting in reverse, and the kort nozzles reduce the effectiveness of the rudder when in reverse, this may be a problem when engaging in Tug-Towing competitions, however, it is no worse than a single motor tug.

In all, I am impressed by the quality of the build (as said earlier), a Very good model, but could do better, perhaps an option would be to produce a model of her with twin controllers for the engines and to make the rudders have more throw on them.
---

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2006, 04:30:42 pm »

here is a reviw I did of Southampton, it can be found on the model boat mayhem parent site :) ...
Hi Ghost, here is a (repeat) link to mine spinning on the spot [/http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~pktaylor/P1010802.mov.  She certainly can tow. I've been up the River Itchen in my Canadian Canoe towed by the model!
Cheers,
 Peter T.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2006, 04:32:35 pm »

webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2006, 05:01:12 pm »

argh quicktime!!!!!

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2006, 06:33:15 pm »

argh quicktime!!!!!
Hi Ghost,
Nowt wrong with Quicktime for Mac or PC (you just have to install on thelatter)!
... however a big avi (30+Mb)  file is now at http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~pktaylor/P1010802.avi
or a little (poorer quality but better value for download time - you get the idea from the movie) MPEG4 file at
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~pktaylor/P1010802.mp4
..let me know which you find best (or if you need something else) since this is a continual problem which would be nice to solve. Maybe we should all converge on avi DivX but it costs! I use Quicktime because I'm Mac based but also because the Digital Rights Management is, lets say, a lighter touch!
Cheers, Peter T.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2006, 07:16:00 pm »

i had NO sound on the quick time vid, except for an annoying sinewave beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!  through out the entire video, I will check the AVI later on when i get home.

I plan to get video footage of Southie sailing a canal sometime

Peter T

• Full Mayhemer
  • On the River Itchen
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2006, 09:15:50 pm »

i had NO sound on the quick time vid, except for an annoying sinewave beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!  through out the entire video, I will check the AVI later on when i get home.
Well it's always possible that the sound was the gearbox!  ..but I think there was some wind noise.  I view videos with the application VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/ ) which plays pictures and sound from more or less anything and is available cross-platform. Can't recomend it too much - supperb product and free!
Cheers, Peter T.
webmaster@srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.