Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Minime's - Yorkshireman build  (Read 27628 times)

Minime

Re: Minime's - Yorkshireman build
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »

so the items on that diagram should work for the tug? Also how much would that cost about? And I can control both engines separately with that setup?
Also one last question, I live in the faroe island, there are 2 rc shops I think, which probably are quite expensive, where do you suggest I order from to get it for a fair price?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 04:15:33 pm »

If you click on the ACTion logo at the top of the Homepage of the forum then you can find out what the P94 does by following the links from their homepage through to Products pages etc. The Faroe Islands are outside the EU so you can obtain the items free of UK VAT. They are not available from any shop.
You will also find a contact link on the ACTion Homepage.
FLJ

Minime

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 05:01:59 pm »

ah thanks, not sure what I'd do without this forum.
edit: The P94 says it controls 2 main engines thruster, still don't understand if it controls them separately or if I have to get something else, since it's important that I can in fact control them separately 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 06:27:06 pm »

The P94 has 4 different modes that affect the motors in 4 different ways .

I have the same set up as FLJ recommended on the Action sight and my tug will spin on its axis if necessary.

It only needs a 2 channel radio and it incorporates the speed controllers.

Any queries phone Dave at Action and he will help you out. [opening hours only.]
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »

ah thanks, not sure what I'd do without this forum.
edit: The P94 says it controls 2 main engines thruster, still don't understand if it controls them separately or if I have to get something else, since it's important that I can in fact control them separately 

Why not take some time to read the article on the website? http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Twins%20Ver2.pdf
It should hopefully answer any further questions for you.
FLJ

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 06:43:06 pm »

The P94 is 2 x 20 amp speed controllers and an integrated mixer so everything is contained within 1 box.
Dip switchesm allow the selection of different operations so it can be used in 4 ways.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Minime

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »

ah k, I'm noting the prices down now, this seems a nice setup. I am going to order everything I need as soon as possible.
edit: didn't see the last two posts, but thanks, it explains a lot.

Minime

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 10:56:00 pm »

sorry for the double post, someone suggested the Robbe F14 Navy rafio system. I found a nice price on a danish website. The package would include a double stick(which is one of the reasons I feel like I must have it), a servo S 148, and some other stuff which sounds nice, here is a link for the website for anyone who reads danish http://modelskibet.dk/product.asp?product=8
so what do you think?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:52 am »

Whats the price in GBP. Translated the rest of the page but not the price.

Minime

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

the price would be about 235£, tax and shipping stuff not included(that adds quite a bit to it usually). Though I'm not sure how many DKK 1 £ is, I'm just guessing 1 £ is about 8,5DKK. We also use DKK in the faroe islands btw.
Edit: I'll try to have some pictures up as soon as pssible, about to drill the holes for the propeller shaft and that block that holds the nozzle in place.

Minime

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 10:25:26 pm »

I'm going to buy some stuff tomorrow which I need for building this. Though I'm not sure exactly what I need, so could some please be kind and write me a list. What I need is what sort of sandpaper, glues, fillers and basically all those things. Would also be nice if someone could tell me what paint they used, if something is better than what the manual says.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 06:13:32 am »

Hi Minine,

The Robbe F14 Navy 'double stick' is a very high end radio set (many clever functions ... that you may never use) but it's only 40 Mhz (not the more future proof 2.4Ghz). Before investing in that particular radio, better to canvas opinions on here as I hear it's actually not that easy to use in practice......

( For that kind of money I'd bethinking about a Skeptrum Spektrum or Futaba 2.4Ghz radio set )

BTW:  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/Robbe_F14/index.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 07:41:40 am »

I've long suspected that the twin-stick F14 would be a pain to use in practice. You would either have to use the forefingers and thumbs of both hands on the split sticks (in which case you've nowt left with which to operate the rudder) and there's no "natural" control to operate the bow thruster e.g. a second lateral stick.
With a conventional Tx at least you can use the LH stick up/down for the port motor and the RH up/down for the starboard. That way you have the RH lateral stick movement for steering and the LH one for the thruster.
P94 was designed to eliminate the need for three channel to control the motors and steering although, as Bob says, you can select "tank steering" mode if you wish. Typically you would use one of the two mixer modes and control the steering with the RH stick, and the throttles and bow-thruster with the LH stick. That leaves you a spare channel (RH stick up/down) for lights, horn, winch etc.
I would go along with Martin to a certain extent i.e. the F14 Twin Stick isn't wonderful value for money and looks awkward to use, but I don't imagine there's much of a frequency clash problem in the Faroe Islands! The standard F14 with two dual-axis sticks would be a far better buy IMHO. The F-series sets also have the advantage of being very expandable by adding the encoder/decoder modules.................but there may be another solution to adding multiple channels sometime in the not-too-distant future  %)

As regards building the model, I think there's a useful Building Hints and Tips section on Model Slipway's website.
FLJ

BTW That's "Spektrum"............... ;)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 09:04:36 am »

F14 for sale here - not mine! - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROBBE-FUTABA-F14-NAVY-REMOTE-CONTROL-UNIT-MODEL-BOAT_W0QQitemZ300413008500QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2564QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8947220767279920222

There was also one on this forum for sale page.

I have an f14 navy and think its great. No frequency clashes - most people are switching to 2.4 gigglehz new fangled stuff, leaves lots of free 40mz slots  :-))

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 09:34:52 am »

Ian
Just as a matter of interest, how do you manipulate the twin sticks? Do you take one hand off the RH stick or do you somehow juggle the twin sticks with the fingers of your left hand?
FLJ

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 10:00:54 am »

FLJ,
I use my thumb and first finger  on my left hand most of the time, occasionally I use my right hand, as when using twin throttle for tight turning, the rudders often aren't needed.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:45 am »

P94 sounds a hell of a lot easier. O0

Minime

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 03:11:02 pm »

Thanks for all those suggestions, they are really helpful. But I guess you need as much advice as you can with your first build.

Minime

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 10:46:46 pm »

ok, I have started on a little list of possible items to buy. So far most are from a danish website and under the price of 300DKK, which means that on the way to the Faroe Island, there will be no tax, since it's not more than 300DKK. So I will be purchasing many separate orders to avoid taxes.
btw 300DKK is only about 35£.
- Controller Navy V30R, waterproof, max 12v 30A or Controller Navy V15R, waterproof, max 12V15A. They are both under 300DKK, but I'm not sure which to buy or if they are good enough. Also do I need 1 for each motor and 1 for the bow thruster?

-MFA/Como Torpedo 500 12V(nice price and no tax added when it arrives)

-servo, it says it's 16g and should fit all model ships. here's a link, you might understand the technical info http://modelskibet.dk/product.asp?product=6345

- bowthruster, not sure about which one to get, could you suggest anyone which is under 35£, though if not prices above 35£ are most welcome too.

- battery Power Sonic 12 volt 17 Ah blybatteri, seems quite big, maybe too big? This was the only thing I could find, any suggestions are welcome(as always). http://modelskibet.dk/product.asp?product=2805 specs shouldn't be too hard to read.

so there are still probably a lot of stuff which I need, but that was what I was thinking. Please point out stuff that might be wrong in that list and what needs added. Remember that's not a permanent list, I just try to keep what I can under 300DKK/35£.

BTW, I am still looking at the ACTion pdf with that system, I really like it, even though parts of them were over the mentioned price, but I guess quality is better than cheap price.

Minime

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:51 pm »

Ok, I had a second look at the action pdf. Then I realized how good the P94 actually is, maybe a little bit expensive, but not the whole world. though I didn't like the P93 very much, seems a bit pricey just for controlling a thruster, and I'm not sure what I need all those functions for. So is it possible to connect something else than the P93 and go with the rest of the stuff on that diagram? Also there are some wires with a component on the ESC's that say Rx motor channel, Rx steering channel and rx bow thruster channel, are these plugged into the receiver?
Also will the people at ACTion mind if I order several orders in order to avoid taxes? Like purchasing the motors separately, the power distribution board could come with the fuses, P94 and possibly the P93 could come to getter since the prize is already above my tax limit.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »

Also there are some wires with a component on the ESC's that say Rx motor channel, Rx steering channel and rx bow thruster channel, are these plugged into the receiver?
Yes.
Also will the people at ACTion mind if I order several orders in order to avoid taxes?
No.
FLJ

Minime

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »

k then, I think I will email them about the motors today and place an order. not sure if they are open today or not, but an email shouldn't do any harm.
btw I will add some photo's soon, now that I can upload them on my computer.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 04:17:36 pm »

Not sure if they are open today or not, but an email shouldn't do any harm.

Try sending an E-Mail; you never know  8)
FLJ

BTW P93 is cheaper for controlling a 7.2v thruster from a 12v supply than the alternative i.e. purchasing a slightly cheaper speed controller and also a separate 7.2v battery.

Minime

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 05:00:29 pm »

Try sending an E-Mail; you never know  8)
FLJ

BTW P93 is cheaper for controlling a 7.2v thruster from a 12v supply than the alternative i.e. purchasing a slightly cheaper speed controller and also a separate 7.2v battery.

ah didn't know I havve to do that. Btw the email has been sent with some info, but not any card details. So when can I expect these motors here in the faroe islands?

Minime

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 05:29:54 pm »

Here are some pics I just took.

next job would be after gluing the shaft, rubbing down the hull, should have done this earlier, but didn't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.