Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Minime's - Yorkshireman build  (Read 27627 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Minime's - Yorkshireman build
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 06:47:07 pm »

Ian
Just as a matter of interest, how do you manipulate the twin sticks? Do you take one hand off the RH stick or do you somehow juggle the twin sticks with the fingers of your left hand?
FLJ

Two fingers and the thumb of the left hand work the throttles without problem and it seems to be an intuitive movement - well it is for me.  Thus using right hand for rudder and bow thrust is not a problem.
As for Martin's 'future proof' ambitions, I'm still using two 7-channel Fleet 40MHZ sets which show no signs of fading.  They still get reasonable prices on Ebay, I note.

Looking at the hull shape where the two shafts emerge has left me scratching my head. I built my Yorkshireman from scratch using the original shipyard lines plans and arrangement drawings. Although I have since passed on the plans to others on this Forum, I don't recognise those shapes.

Barry M

Minime

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »

Two fingers and the thumb of the left hand work the throttles without problem and it seems to be an intuitive movement - well it is for me.  Thus using right hand for rudder and bow thrust is not a problem.
As for Martin's 'future proof' ambitions, I'm still using two 7-channel Fleet 40MHZ sets which show no signs of fading.  They still get reasonable prices on Ebay, I note.

Looking at the hull shape where the two shafts emerge has left me scratching my head. I built my Yorkshireman from scratch using the original shipyard lines plans and arrangement drawings. Although I have since passed on the plans to others on this Forum, I don't recognise those shapes.

Barry M
those shapes are to glue on, maybe to make it easier or something like that.

chingdevil

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 07:00:49 pm »

Minime
Just in case you were not aware FullLeatherJacket is Action Electronics, so his advice on the producst comes from the fact he makes them and very good they are to. Never had a problem with anything I have brought from him. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 07:07:01 pm »

Thus using right hand for rudder and bow thrust is not a problem.
So which stick movement do you use for the bow thruster? Is it independent using the Up/Down axis (which requires you to remember which way is Left etc) or have you coupled the bow-thruster to the rudder command?
I can't see Anfinn having many frequency clashes where he lives, so the F14 40Meg should do - as long as he really needs  the option of all those extra functions. I'd buy a 6-channel Laser meself................
Afraid I can't shed any light on the shapes at the back. I just drew on the plan and instructions the parts that Lawrie sent; he and Dave Metcalf designed the thing in the last century (he'll love that!). However, as Dave might tell you, you can't see the bits underneath when it's in the water.  %)
.............and thanks, Ching!
FLJ

Minime

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 07:09:23 pm »

Minime
Just in case you were not aware FullLeatherJacket is Action Electronics, so his advice on the producst comes from the fact he makes them and very good they are to. Never had a problem with anything I have brought from him. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian
yeah I know, found out earlier today. I think I am going to cut out the freeing ports now.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »

So which stick movement do you use for the bow thruster? Is it independent using the Up/Down axis (which requires you to remember which way is Left etc) or have you coupled the bow-thruster to the rudder command?
FLJ

Rudder - L<>R.   
Bow Thrust - Up <> Down    With a small square of Dymo tape to remind me which way is Port and Starboard should brainfade set in.

Works for me as some bloke once said.

Barry M

fatcat123

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 10:00:37 pm »

I plan to use the same system as Barry M on my wyeforce build, but for the throttles, I will be using an F14 Navy so slight difference.

Dan

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:38 pm »

Dan,

The set I'm talking about is a F14 Navy also. LH - twin throttles. RH - rudder + bow thrust.

Cheers,

Barry M

Minime

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:48 am »

started on the anchor winch, as I was tired of the hull, and needed to see something come to getter a bit quickly. So ar it looks great, bith drums are on, and the gear.I still need to glue the cylinders on the motor, fit it on the gear. The brakes and all those other small components also need addidng, but some of them go directly on the deck it seems.

Minime

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 11:43:19 pm »

sorry for not updating you guys on the project, but been busy with college and stuff. So I've put the tug on hold for the next couple of weeks, but I'll fit the engines though when they arrived. I'm guessing they haven't arrived yet because of the volcano ashes, but you just have to accept it I guess, not in any hurry anyway.

Minime

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »

Good news, the motors arrived and the look wonderful with matching clutches :-) Thanks for that Dave, really appreciated. Now I just can't wait to get started on this, but I have to go to the cinema tonight and after that I have to work <*< :-)

Minime

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »

Btw I think I forgot to ask what bow thruster I should buy, not sure how large the diameter should be.

Minime

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2010, 05:46:06 pm »

long time since I posted last here, but my bow thruster arrived a few days ago, so I'm going to fit it soon. When I'm done with that I'll have some pictures for you.

PMK

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:46 pm »

Minime, first of all, please accept my apologies for steering your thread slightly off course for a moment, but perhaps when you're taking time out from building, perhaps when you have some time to spare, then maybe you could paste the following co-ordinates into Google Earth and throw some light this way?

62 03'31.60"N 6 52'30.00"W

Could it perhaps be some sort of hydro-electricity generators? Or something to do with the olympics?

Once again, apologies for busting-up your thread.

Minime

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:17 pm »

almost one year later and the topic rises from it's grave.
Anyway glad to say I've taken on this project again, determined to complete it this time. But first I have to equip myself with new tools in order to get this right.
Was hoping some of you would help me make a shopping list for tomorrow.
- clamps, how many do I need and what size?
- Files, which ones?(to make holes in the hull and the likes)
- What knifes do I need
Simply everything I need, might have some of it and I might not.
very excited to get started again, have also decided to fit it with leds in any lamps I can.

Minime

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2011, 12:35:23 pm »

anyone able to tell me how many clamps I need? Will 4 or 5 do?
Also which grades of sandpaper will I need throughout the build?
This is quite urgent, plan to go shopping in half an hour.

pugwash

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »

Mini I think you are being a bit mean at only 4 or 5 clamps - depending what sort of build but I have about 20 clamps 40 bulldog clips
and 40 clothes pegs  and I quite often run out I could do with another 20 clamps.

Geoff

Minime

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »

oh, well I'm not a fast builder, that's why I thought I wouldn't need that many but thanks. I guess I'll start out with 5, then when I need more I can go and get them. Also decided to get a toolbox with several compartments to put all the metal bits in, think it might be safer and easier than the plastic bags it came in. By the end of the week I hope to start painting so I better get going now.

Minime

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2011, 11:48:59 pm »

went to the shop today but the didn't have the clamps I needed. Bought a nice toolbox and some files though.
But I wanted to ask other builders of this kit what they used to paint the hull with. Might have to go to the paint shop tomorrow, so would be a good idea to buy some paint for the hull too.

Minime

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:11 pm »

nothing new to show today. The whole day was lost because of headache, feeling dizzy, throwing up. Presumably effects of prednisolon. But all gone now, so might get a little done tonight.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »

went to the shop today but the didn't have the clamps I needed. Bought a nice toolbox and some files though.
But I wanted to ask other builders of this kit what they used to paint the hull with. Might have to go to the paint shop tomorrow, so would be a good idea to buy some paint for the hull too.

Hello
You can use what manufactor of paint you like. diffrent people like diffrent makes . I would work out all the colours you need and see what manufactor offers . EG if you want to spray the hull  + supperstructer + funnel stick to ONE manufactor as you might get reactions. I do not know what you have avaible were you live.

John

Minime

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2011, 11:38:39 pm »

ah, that makes sense. Btw I've seen people use primer before applying the paint. Is this needed? As the manual says just to apply 2 coats of paint.

Minime

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 11:14:25 pm »

A little update on the build:
Today I've managed to move backwards. When I put the running gear on, I didn't sand the hull before applying epoxy, so today with a stanley knife, and some force I broke it of. Now I have completely sanded the hull and gave it a good wash. Glad though I was able to remove the running gear, as I wasn't happy with the alignment. Also the epoxy I used then was about 10 years old.
Tonight I'll re align everything and possibly glue it back in place. Then tomorrow hopefully I'll be ready to glue the shafts and bow thruster in place and go over some places with filler. Before long she'll be ready for a test in the bath tub.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2011, 12:17:59 am »

Minime .....just a thought......you could drill & tap each nozzle mounting block ...say 10 BA in two places.........then naturally drill two corresponding holes in the hull.......

The real advantage being as you rebond the components to the hull with fresh epoxy......you can adjust the alignment  O0 & lock it prior to the drying/curing process & nothing will move

Some epoxy resins [exothermic] do strange things when you are not looking..  >>:-(...& when you awake the next morning think   <*<       <:(  <:( <:( ........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Minime

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »

I have already glued it back, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll keep it in mind for my next build(although that might be a while).
Build update:
I wasn't happy with the starboard nozzle setup, so I removed shaft guidance device of it, to make it match the port setup. This was glued back to getter last night. Also glued the bow thruster tubes to getter, so they a are now ready to be attached on the hull.
Then today I measured up where the shaft housings were going to sit and glued them on to getter with the stern running gear. Spent almost an hour watching it all dry, constantly making sure everything lined up.
btw won't have a camera till tomorrow, so until then I can't take any pictures to show you guys.
Also wanted to mention that I think I'm going to use some fiber optics illumination, inspired buy a bourbon orca build I saw, you think this is a good idea?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.