Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minime's - Yorkshireman build  (Read 27641 times)

Minime

Re: Minime's - Yorkshireman build
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2011, 02:19:30 am »

Update:
Earlier today I glued the shafts and bow thruster in place.

After this had dried, I put some sealant on the inside,  now ready for filler on the outside tomorrow.

Minime

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »

today was spent sawing the bow thruster tubes to fit the hull. Then sanded them down and gave the hull a good clean, first with dish washing soap, then clean the areas I was going to use filler on with some acetone. Now I've been waiting for the filler to harden, but I'm a bit afraid to go look, since I'm not sure if I mixed the filler and hardener together correctly.

Minime

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2011, 02:43:00 pm »

Good news, filler seems to have been mixed correctly, but now I need to sand everything flat again. While being a bit tired of sanding, I decided to give it a water test. It was sitting in the tub for about an hour, with a couple of tupperware cases filled with water and no leaks were spotted. That means the hull nearly finished and I can start on the superstructure.
But I wanted to ask what batteries will do. Should I go with lead acid 12v 10-12ah or are there better batteries around? Going to use the Action kit which is recommended for this boat, but I just need to find decent batteries which will give me good run time.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »

If it's  'Time'  you're after as well as power then I would recommend a 12 volt,  7 amp/hr battery.

If you decide on this one then now is the time to make a four sided box to lay it flat in the base of the hull just under the opening of the cabin above.  Use plastic for the frame to help with the weight problem. Try out a dry run in the  'bath' and position the box with the battery to balance the hull level --- as these batteries are heavier on the bottom than the the top

This sort of of planning makes it easy to remove from the boat when it's finished.   :-))

Hope this helps.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Minime

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 09:16:06 pm »

I believe I have such an battery in an old scooter which is in the carport. Scooter isn't driving and the battery is probably dead too, but I think it's the same size.
the place your describing(I'll take a proper look later) is it in front of the engines?
And thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:22 pm »

is it in front of the engines?
And thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Yes.  Here is my set up on the one of my boats.  Of course you could could always fit it to the other side of the motors to save prop tube length

Ken  

Minime

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:36 pm »

ah I think I'll be doing that box as soon as I'm done with filling and sanding the hull. Although having no previous experience with filler it's a real pain to do.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »

Go to you local fire alram or buglarm alarm service company. They will have some old 12V 3ah or 12V 7 ah or 12v 12ah . I sure they will give you these for free as they are changed ever 3 years and the old one go in the bin. Then you will have several size to try and see what fits best.

John

Minime

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 01:13:35 am »

not sure it works that way here, but worth a try. There isn't much of a burglar alarm system market here, and most fire alarms are kept simple. There is one shop that might have some, so I'll stop by there, thanks.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 11:58:08 am »

Go to you local fire alram or buglarm alarm service company. They will have some old 12V 3ah or 12V 7 ah or 12v 12ah . I sure they will give you these for free as they are changed ever 3 years and the old one go in the bin. Then you will have several size to try and see what fits best.

John

Hi John

This route has now been closed up by  elf'n'safety.

I was informed they have to be accounted for and disposed of safely  etc.   %)    A shame really as it was good source of supply.

ken

Minime

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2011, 12:13:20 pm »

well the batteries are quite cheap from england anyway, with postage they still are about half the price of what they cost here.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:07 pm »

Hi John

This route has now been closed up by  elf'n'safety.

I was informed they have to be accounted for and disposed of safely  etc.   %)    A shame really as it was good source of supply.

ken

Ken I can asure you ,you have been miss informed. I work in the industrie and it cost a lot to get rid of old battreies so we are happy to give them away.

John

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

Hi John,

My information was given to me by our local Electric wheelchair store as they refused to let me have any.  I was sorely disappointed so your information has cheered me up.

I, and a few others no doubt, are going to the Warwick show in November and I sense a good outlet for you if you can bring some along. If there is enough interest, you might need a truck.   O0

Sorry to deflect your thread Minime.

ken

Minime

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 09:38:53 pm »

no worries, it's all relevant in one way or another.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.