Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifebelt - Detailing Advice Sought.  (Read 2156 times)

tony52

Lifebelt - Detailing Advice Sought.
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:37:38 pm »

All,

I am currently putting the finishing touches to a replica Veron 'Police Launch'. On the cabin roof is a large (to scale), lifebelt approx 55mm outside diameter, which I have shaped from obechi.

Can anyone advise as to whether the rope whippings on this lifebelt, should be applied to the lifebelt before it is painted, or would these 'rope whippings' be painted on a full sized vessel? I propose to paint red and white quarters. Should the whippings be painted these would be painted white?

Thanks for any help provided,
Tony.

Malcolm Reade

Re: Lifebelt - Detailing Advice Sought.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:49 pm »

Tony

Reade Models (or The Northern Model Supply Company as it then was) used to supply the lifebelts for Veron Kits, although your 55mm one on the Police Launch doesn't ring any bells with me? Perhaps that particular size was supplied from elsewhere?

Our injection moulded ones (25mm and 18.75mm) were always manufactured in white, including ropes, with two opposite quarters painted red (Humbrol Gloss colour No.19).  My parents used to sit at night, mostly cross-eyed, watching TV surrounded by trays and trays of freshly painted lifebelts.

We still have both sizes of lifebelt in the range, but we don't paint them any more - firstly, we don't have the time, and secondly, we feel that modellers would much prefer to paint their own?

Malc

tony52

Re: Lifebelt - Detailing Advice Sought.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:42:09 am »

Thanks Malc,

I took another measure from the original Veron plan, and the outside diameter is shown as 2 and 1/8 inches in old money, which is quite large.

After trawling pictures of model builders who have built a modern version of this craft, none have added this item as a detail.

Bought the air horns from your company in the past.

Thanks,
Tony.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 19 queries.