Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XRAD'S 1/16 RC Tanks!  (Read 1876 times)

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
XRAD'S 1/16 RC Tanks!
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »

Just thought I would post a few pics from other model builds. These plus more are found on RCTankwarfare.com.  Good people and good builds on this site.

I usually build mine with metal hulls and suspension, and of course all RC.  There are many aftermarket options for parts and build series.  Most of my builds are based on the Heng Long or Hooben tanks, and then kit bashed into 'awesomeness.'

First tank is the Jagpanzer IV, then the Jagdtiger. I built a large series of tank destroyers because of the evolution throughout the war and the availability of model parts/kits. Parts I could not find, I made.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
Re: XRAD'S 1/16 RC Tanks!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:38:28 pm »

Jagdtiger build.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:56:32 pm »

Hello.
Have a few myself
Nice.
Regards sub.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:20:51 pm »

Thx!  The Jagdtiger has a longer hull than the King Tiger, hence the disection. There was a few years ago a company in Germany that manufactured or imported the metal hull pre-drilled for the metal arm and spring upgrade(for the Jagtiger).  Don't know if they are still around. Many of the metal tracks come from Poland and China. 

Here are pics of one of my last almost full scratch builds, the Elefant.

A few years ago there was a guy named Ludwig who was cutting out 16 aluminum plates and plastic superstructure components.  Most of the grey plastic parts were the wrong size, but the metal parts were OK for the build. These were carefully drilled and tapped for 2mm screws.  I bought the white polystyrene plastic sheet off amazon, and glued this with CA or Testors liquid cement where needed.  I have the parts to finish, but my ADD kicked in after the umpteenth tank, and I have not been back to them in a few years.  Brass parts form the front automatic track tensioner. The suspension is composed of Porsche's torsion rods/housing. Don't know if you can even get these metal castings or the metal tracks anymore...maybe.

The small grey parts are the cooling fan drive system and fuel lines, located under the center front hatch. These details and many details on my tanks were pieced together from many books and net pics over months of research.  Probably the more fascinating part about building true scale models, is the actual research prior to the builds. This is the steep part of the learning curve. The second part is actually designing and building the models. Still can be difficult, but once you have a picture or other info, this part is not so hard.

The best example of this is the tow hitch on the back of the Jatiger. There are only two partial pics of this late modification, and it was only on a few tanks. But I put it on mine. 

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »

Here are pics of my Stug III and Jagdpanther:

Jagdpanther not finished yet, and there is another one half built.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:44:32 pm »

Very, very cool, superb work and detailing.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »

Thx! Eddiesolo.  Both of my Jagdpanthers still need some work  with 'washes'....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.