Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Ship Hijack  (Read 1122 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
New Ship Hijack
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:41:46 pm »

Dear All,

It seems ship hijacking has now moved to a different level.

The 4k tonne Arctic Sea (Maltese Regd.), with 15 crew was carrying apx. £1M of sawn timber for Algeria, was seemingly boarded in the Baltic by ten armed men acting as Customs officials (but they seem to have left a short time after), but the AISLive ship tracking last saw it at 1.30 am on the 30th of July, since which time it has vanished! Apparently everybody is baffled! - I am sure the poor crew are somewhat baffled as well....

One would have thought that in this day and age with all the tracking devices and satellite facilities, that following a 4k tonne ship around would not be too difficult... after all, cars don't present much of a problem now.

Regards, Bernard

Wasyl

Re: New Ship Hijack
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »

mm, its a Russian ploy,if you ask me,seeing as how they,ve sent loads of warships to find this "captured"wood carrier, its  so they can get into our waters for a nosey,Do you honestly believe that a bunch of Somali pirates, as reported on the BBC got into the channel, in a little skiff,not to mention getting round the horn of Africa,
Na its a load of crap,just lie that result in Norway last night,Norse manure,and i live in Scotland

Wullie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:57:17 pm »

Ah, tracking devices.  I wonder how long it takes to shift a tracking device from the ship it belongs to and move it elsewhere, say through the channel, then sink it in the middle of the Bay of Biscay while the real ship is being unloaded and repainted in, say, Estonia?
Its really the tracking device that gets tracked, rather than the ship, isn't it?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:25:36 pm »

AIS has only a limited range from shore stations as it is radio based. Not like a satellite distress beacon.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.