Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FINNJET 1:400  (Read 15509 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
FINNJET 1:400
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:26:51 pm »

Hi all this is a review / build thread of the legend  that was Finnjet.
Revell have re released there 1:400 scale kit of her. The box has new art work and there a bit more about her in the history section. Apart for that it is the same as the original kit.
There is a lot of parts to her and the are some nice transfers.This kit is big enough for RC.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FINNJET 1:400
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:14:51 pm »

ok I have glue the 2 bulbous bow parts together and fitted them to the hull. The fit to the hull was not perfect there were gaps so this required filling and sanding.The molded bow thrusters look rubbish so i removed them and used plastic tube to replace them. Since this boat is going to be rc I made my own prop tubes. I have tried to make them look like the real ferry prop tubes . I intend to see how the plastic props work if they are ok I will use them.I have made up 2 brass rudders and made 2 raised flat spots on the hull for the rudders.
Next job is to make up the steering links fit the rudder servo and paint the hull dark blue .

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:59:29 am »

I meant to put this photo up It shows the parts used to make up the prop shaft.

John

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 05:18:33 pm »

Looks like it will make a fine model of what was a fine ship. Look forward to seeing your progress. Now I'm off to the paper shop to see how big a packet of chewing gum is  ;)

Cheers

Mike

SlimRick

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 06:48:00 pm »

What is the overall length of the hull?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »

thank you for the nice comments.
She is 52.8 cms long

john

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:38:47 am »

Spoil sport  :(( You made it too easy, now there is no need for that trip to see how big the chewy pack is !

Mike

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:04:58 pm »

Hi All
well got the hull painted . Hard to find the correct blue but I think I am close as in some light it is blue and in other it is black.
Started on the superstructure and worked out how I am going to get access in to the hull for the RC gear. Windows were a pain to do but got there. here some photo to enjoy.

John

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:47 am »

There is a load of these kits on sale in a shop near me in the €14.99 might have to go pick one up
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:17 pm »

Hi there
15 euros is a very good price. I have 2 Finnjets . This is the first 1977 to 1986 then I am doing the second in 2004 to 2006.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:16 pm »

Hi all
well done some more painting and done some more mods to the kit so she looks more 1977 ie remove diesel exhausts and start on that nice sundeck. Motors are in and so is the steering servo.
Next on the list is to start on the enclosed sun deck and do some more painting.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 12:00:33 am »

Hi cos..

It seems your doing a great job ..I do like this build ..

Can you offer any other particulars at this point ...Motors type brand,batteries ,ballast ..and such

Keep up the great work ..Im still mulling over my own ferry build ..

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 11:06:33 am »

Hi there
the motors I have installed are FK-180SH . I have fitted the to my friends USS Enterprise and that has a good turn of speed.

For ESC I will use the one made by action and one of there mixers as this will help in turning.

Batteries I have this 6v 1600mah pack from john at Model Power .

For batters and ballast I not to sure at the moment as she has not hit the water yet. I have been lighting the kit as much as I can,but the new sun deck will add weight high up.

Can I ask what ferry are you thinking of doing.

John

Patrick Henry

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:52:08 am »

Nice going John, that's going to look good on the water.

Rich

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 01:29:37 pm »

Hi Rich
Thank you I do hope she sails well as I have another kit of her to do the 2005 version.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:38 pm »

MV Caribou....I plan to do her in 1:100..I got line drawings from Knude Hansen the designer ..Im sorry ..but cant post them nor copy them ..The ship is still in service ..and I havent been givin permission to ditrubute them ..

Registry Classification
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Lloyd's: 100A1
Ice Class: Northern Baltic 1A Super
Tonnage Safety Equipment
GRT - 27,212 tons
Displacement - 16,203 tons
Dead Weight - 3,662 tons 48 x 42 life rafts
4 x 9 life boats
Dimensions Tank Capacity
Length oa - 179m
Length bp - 165 m
Breadth - 25 m
Loaded Draft - 6.6m Fuel oil: 620.5 cubic meters
Fresh water: 754.8 metric tons
Capacity Machinery
1800 Lane Meters

Passengers - 1,200
Crew complement - 106 summer, 68 winter
 Main engines: 4 MAK, 8-cyl
BHP (horsepower) 7,000 each
Auxiliary: 3 MAK, 2,400 hp
Propellers: Twin Ka Me Wa
Thrusters: Twin bow KaMeWa, Twin Aft KaMeWa
Economical speed: 15 knots
Maximum speed: 22 knots
Facilities Access
Cafeteria
Snack bar
Bar lounge
Seating lounge
TV lounge
Video arcade
Outside deck seating
Dormitory berths
Cabins: 49 x 4 berths
Children's play room
Infant changing room
Gift shop
First aid room
Public showers
Dog kennels
Elevators/escalators
Access for passengers with disabilities Ro-Ro bow and stern loading (Bow visor)
Two vehicle decks
Shore based bi-level loading ramps

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 11:03:21 am »

HI There
She looks a nice ferry , handling that sea well. You are very correct in what you say about the plans. That prat that sold those tug plans to the Chines years ago did a lot of damage for us molders but it is nice to see company's are trusting us molders again.
You have the same breadth and draft as my Celestine ,and she handles well so you should have a good one there. I would watch the weight on the funnels and the upper deck.

John 

More Coffee

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »

My math ..which isnt very good ..tells me she can weigh around 54lbs to get to the water line ..fully laiden with the gear and all ....

I saw your Celestine ..nice unit :-))

Im pondering lighter weight durable building material ..everything above the quater gaurds would have to be a light weight plastic or something ..

Or ..I set the water line a little deeper maybe 10mm more ..to gain a little more room for the weight of the build up ..

More Coffee

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »

HI There
She looks a nice ferry , handling that sea well. You are very correct in what you say about the plans. That prat that sold those tug plans to the Chines years ago did a lot of damage for us molders but it is nice to see company's are trusting us molders again.
You have the same breadth and draft as my Celestine ,and she handles well so you should have a good one there. I would watch the weight on the funnels and the upper deck.

John 

I should also note to ..that my Dad engineered on her throughout outfitting ,maiden voyage and for some years later ,,I sailed her numerous times while courting my now wife,as a teenager i partied on her ...She's not just any ship she's the pride of a province..to me a family member ..
Its not so much the modeler's ..its my own personal pride and emotional attachment i have towards that ship ....Even with permission I think I would only loan the plans to a serious modeler with the expectation of seeing another model ....If not i would pull them back ..

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:56:06 pm »

Well some more painting been done a few bit added. Started the sun deck think I have got it  correct. No more building for 1 week as I am off to Ireland for work,

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:33 pm »

Well got a bit more done. I am happy with the new sun deck. Still have to do both glass ends of that deck. I am not sure weather or not to but the beams that were on the inside of the sun deck or not? Added the stairs to the bridge and put some hand rail around them. I think this is a good improvement to the revell kit. Started on some transfers but they will not be ready for a few days due to varnish drying . Started on the life boats they really do improve her looks.

John 

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 09:41:59 pm »

Hi all

Not much ha happened. I have put on the last of the life boats and the transfers and the wind shield at the rear.
Finnjet took to the water for the first time last night and there was a big big problem, She is to heavy. With just the model and a 6V battery she sat to low in the water.So I am going to have to have a rethink on what to do on her.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »

have got on order some new motors and battery's . Hopefully this will sort out her weight problem.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »

Hi all
well the new motors are in and I remade the prop shafts out of tube as the old one were solid rod. This has helped in the weight dept new motors 11g each new shafts 5g each old shafts were 10g each. The new motors work well and make a fair bit of power on 4.8v,one of them is running a bit tight so this will require some work.
Done some more testing in the Baltic (bath) on her weight. As there is no more easy to remove weight I have come to accepted she will run about 2mm deeper than her water line. This does have the benefit of increasing stability. All so her hull is blue/black above the water line and black below so it is hard to determine were the water line is.   Next job is to order a nice light weight Lipo battery of ebay as this will help clocking in at 30g.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 09:23:06 pm »

Hi all
 finally got here on the water for her first sea trial . She is a fair weather boat. The mixer on the 2 ESC help as she can spin on the spot. There a bit more to do on the model to finish her off.

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.