Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book by Kenneth Chakle????  (Read 1926 times)

Shamrock

• Full Mayhemer
Book by Kenneth Chakle????
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:13:10 pm »

Had an interesting phone conversation today but line was not too good and I may have the name mis spelt. Does anyone know about a book by Kenneth Chakle or Chackell or Chackwell or something like that???

The name (author) was mentioned but not the book title. It was suggested I study this book to learn how to get lines from a boat and turn them into plan.

Bit of a long shot. I`ve tried a web search with variations of the name but nothing.  Thought I would see if anyone has heard of it here.

Cheers
Luke.

Shamrock

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Book by Kenneth Chakle????
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:25:00 pm »

This might be the one.

Yacht Designing And Planning For Yachtsmen. Students And Amateurs by Howard I.Chapelle

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:45:28 pm »

Shamrock.......

"Yacht Designing And Planning: For Yachtsmen, Students, And Amateurs
Written primarily for the beginner, the book first gives directions for the use of tools, and suggestions for material and other equipment. Successive chapters cover specific problems relating to the preliminary design, the lines, construction and joiner plan, and sail plans, with full discussion and directions for the handling of the many problems involved. Of very real importance is the chapter describing in detail the complete process of drawing the lines of a yacht as it is done in actual practice. A chapter is devoted to the list of items that should be described in the specifications. The author has written a practical handbook which explains, with the help of many drawings and diagrams, methods as actually carried out in the drafting room. The book approaches the subject entirely from the point of view of American requirements and conditions"

This does sound correct  :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Shamrock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »

Pretty sure this IS the one. Looks like a very good book and not that cheap.  :((

Unless you look around.   O0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0393332594?tag=growinglifest-21&linkCode=sb1&camp=2378&creative=8434

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:46:35 pm »

Hi Luke,

Been doing some research on your book here- looks like it would be useful, but not really exactly what you want- this book is centered around yacht design, not launch hull design- but you get a lot worse and will certainly give you a good grounding in the ins and outs of wooden huls.

I really suggest you look around for books written around 1900-1915 on wooden pleasure boats, launches and riverboats- they are particular curiosity all to themselves.

Maybe a search on Google's library service might turn something up- I know i've found some fantastic onfo on steam engines that way.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.