Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Powered Build.  (Read 2846 times)

BreezyB

1st Powered Build.
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:44:52 pm »

I don't know how true it is, but I've been told that initiation into the Mayhem Fellowship is not complete until you have published your 1st Build. So here goes, hope its enough to earn my "ticket" !!!!.
This is the first powered boat to emerge from my "Boat Yard", the others having been all yachts.
As you may already recognise, it is a Higgins PT boat which has been built from a Glynn Guest plan which was included in Model Boats some while ago.
I have altered the appearance slightly to make it more like PT209 which I have now adopted,  also it has been "de -tuned" in that I have gone for the more docile Speed 400 motor instead of the more powerful suggested option. This is so that it is better for steering events and , if I was honest, is better for my now diminishing reaction times!!!!. :embarrassed:
To say that I have enjoyed this project would be an understatement and after many hours of searching for information about PT/MTB's I am totally hooked by this era of marine history and intend to continue on with another.
I have to say a big thanks to all Mayhemmers for answering my constant stream of questions but with your help I have avoided too many potential catastrophes and I am very pleased with the all round result, hope you like it too?.
Here are a few photos, sorry no action shots because I haven't yet mastered the art of manipulating a TX and a Camera together!!
Regards and Thanks  :-))
Barrie.

Mark47

Re: 1st Powered Build.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:59:03 pm »

nice workmanship. :-))

I think I've a set of this plan kicking around some where. I may just build one myself, although I'm more of a Dog Boat fan. (oh well just have to build both) :}

Mark

BreezyB

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:48:39 pm »

Thanks for your encouraging comment, Mark, it is appreciated. Good luck with your "What to build next" list, I'm already running into the same problem!!.
Barrie.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:44 am »

Very nice job!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GG

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:23:48 pm »

Dear Barrie,
              It is very pleasing to see such a good first powered build from a free magazine plan.  Even more pleasing in that you did not slavishly follow the instructions and decided to use a SPEED 400 motor.  Set up correctly it ought to be quite nimble, but without the "terror" that the prototype can occasionally induce when grossly overpowered.
The "learning curve" in this hobby is always upwards but it ought never to be, with good advice (such as that found on this website), so bad that you stall and crash!
Good Luck with you next model(s), GlynnG

BreezyB

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:43:42 pm »

Glynn and Martin
Very many thanks for taking the time to add your kind comments, it does mean a lot. I'm particularly grateful to GG and those patient souls who have helped with my first success.  :-)
Cheers,
Barrie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.