Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: metal or carbon props which is best?????  (Read 3413 times)

menor95

metal or carbon props which is best?????
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:33:54 am »

hi anyone got any ideas which props would be best for my traxxas villian. heres a link there both on that link. ones are octura x447 and the others which are carbon im not sure but there both for the villian the metal and carbon ones.                              http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=47 

cheers pascal :-))

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: metal or carbon props which is best?????
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:18 am »

I've assured that metal props are better due to them not losing their shape under load but they
are are harder to match to your chosen motor / battery set-up. Carbon props are 'usually' cheaper are in my
experience more tolerant or a wider power band.  But if you Villain is "stock" then the OSE set should work...
 or you ask for your money back!

Make sure the props and adaptors are well  secured before your shake down cruise!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

menor95

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »

What does ose stand for cheers for your help

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:47:19 pm »

Sorry, OffShoreElectrics.com
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

menor95

how long will it take for carbon props to loose there shape
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:43 am »

looking to buy carbon props for my villian I've heard they loose there shape over time but how much time is the casr for.thanks to all on the forum who have helped me and advised me on my boat to this point

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:20 pm »

They don't loose there shape over time but under pressure /power / load.
ie. They may distort somewhat under load but unless you are competition racing, I wouldn't worry about it.
  :-))

omra85

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:06:50 pm »

As Martin says, the metal props don't "flatten out" under load, but they are considerably more expensive.
The carbon reinforced (black) ones are stiffer than the red plastic ones (so don't use red ones) and do have some uses.
For example when you have no idea what prop to start with, you can buy a set of carbon ones for the same price as a single BeCu one to get some idea of which to use.  You should be able to run a size smaller metal prop than the equivalent carbon one.
They can also act like a form of clutch in that, when you are under heavy load (as when accelerating out of a corner), they will flatten allowing the revs to build faster.
Generally though a BeCu or stainless prop which has been well balanced and sharpened, will knock spots off any plastic prop.

Keep the plastic ones for when your having a "bad stick" day - and keep hitting the buoys  {-) :-))

Danny

TomTheKraut

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:48:24 am »

In my experience, the carbon props don't rate worse than "proper" metal props on surface drives. Try to bend one, for example... at least the Graupner K-series are as stiff as a good drink should be.

As for practicability - if, in the heat of a race, a leading edge gets nicked or even a blade disappears, you just chuck the old one away and fix a new prop for relatively small money and the cost of one heat. And you have a predictable shape and balance for every carbon prop right out of the shop...

Having a serious bite taken out of a good bronze prop however will not only drain your wallet by quite a few quid but you need to (re-)balance and sharpen a new prop as well.

If you're into solitary racing (empty your cells in 2x100 meters straight-away) it's a completely different thing - in that case every teensy weensy bit of extra propulsion counts and for that I would opt for BeCu props in any case.

andyn

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:51:54 am »

If you're racing, it's not even worth thinking about plastic props, however if you're just hoping to pootle around go for plastic ones ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.