Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Racing Boat Upgrades  (Read 2885 times)

Daniel

Racing Boat Upgrades
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:23:27 pm »

Hi everyone,
I am complete beginner in model boating and I currently starting to increase my knowledge of mechanics and have just had a brand new "victory" speed boat bought by my dad which I am hoping to upgrade soon
Could anyone give me any tips as to what sorts of upgrades I can do to my electric RC "Victory" racing boat?

Thanks
Daniel.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Racing Boat Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:05:55 am »

Hi Daniel,

Is the "victory" boat a twin motor boat ( and steered by varying the speed of the motors ) or is it a single motor boat with a working rudder?

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:34:28 am »

Hi Martin,
Yes it runs on 2 380 electric motors, which are attached to the propeller shafts by rubber tubing. When I upgrade the boat I would like to swap the rubber tubing for something a bit stronger or would that break?

Daniel.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:46:43 pm »

You need to be careful because if you just fit bigger motors, you might burn out the electrics!
Where did you purchase the boat? Do you have a web link?

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:07:47 pm »

Before you could upgrade the motors you would first need to upgrade the radio system and control electronics. For the amount you would need to spend, it would be far easier to build a new boat using an inexpensive vac formed hull, radio system and a single motor. 

Neil

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:22:21 pm »

Hi Daniel.
Yes Martin is quite correct although it is possible to upgrade the hull by a complete strip down. I have seen these boats and it is a difficult job to do even when you know what you are doing so I wouldn't recommend it if you are new to model boats. Racing fast electrics is a great part of the hobby and I hope that you don't get disheartened (like so many people) after getting one of these boats and then realising that it won't go as fast as perhaps you had hoped. For an out and out racing boat unfortunately you can't go and buy one from any shop or even online shop, you have to buy the hull and then fit it out yourself.
Best of luck
Ian.
 8)
www.fastelectricsrfun.co.uk

Daniel

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:35:40 pm »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the advice, I think now I shall have to think about if I really want to upgrade this or just buy a whole new boat.

Daniel

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:04:32 pm »

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:56:10 am »

Try Astec they advertise in Model Boats magazine. They do a good hull the Falcon and the owner Alan Shillito is very helpful as he does all the electrics. Have a look at the FE pages on the SWAMBC web site.

Daryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.