Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What knots?  (Read 2616 times)

Sailmaker

What knots?
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:04:05 pm »

Hello everyone, a new member and a question already.

I am relatively new to model building and am currently building my first yacht from a kit.

Can anyone tell me what knot to use for the mast rigging. i:e, sheets to the sails, the kicking strap and sheets to the servos.

Thank you..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What knots?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:04:05 am »

There are no special knots that I use really.

If it is being tied off to an eye.
If there is one loose end. I will often use any kind off loop in the end. Pull the loop through the eye, and then pool the other end back through the loop. You can only do this if the other end is not attached (or not attached yet).

I will also use a reef knot, and then apply a dab of CA glue (Superglue) to fix it.

Most lines need adjustment, and your instructions will tell you to use a bowsie. If the instructions are not clear come back to us.

The only exception on knots is if you are using monofilament nylon, or even Dyneema, as it is very slippery and needs special knots.

What model are you building?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Sailmaker

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:47:02 am »

I've been building the comtesse for about 18 months on and off. It's taking a long time due to commitments elsewhere. It's been quite a struggle so far as parts have been changed without reference in the parts list and the sails have been cut different to the plans so the reinforcments don't fit properly.

I also messed up the jib boom twice, lack of experience in these matters.

The rope/cord is a shiny nylon type and knots slip undone hence my question.

There is no indication that rigging needs to be adjusted so a permanent knot is reguired.

I aslo have had some trouble soldering the shrouds to the fittings as the steel is also shiny, I had to use plumbing flux in the end.

Sailmaker

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:05:53 am »

If the knots are slipping then try some angling/fishing knots

There is a good site here http://www.angling-adventures.net/knots/knots.htm
And if you go to the bottom of the page there is a link to a page where the knot tying is animated.

The Comtesse is a very nice boat.

Don't worry about being slow.
Something I found is that the instructions are not usually clear, but seldom wrong. If something does not seem to work I will sleep on it. Eventually the penny will drop.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Sailmaker

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:00 pm »

Thanks tigertiger, the clinch knot is just what is needed.

Regarding the parts, they changed the way the mainsail is attached to the mast. There is a 1 metre long plastic thing that slids into the sail edge. Had me going for a while because it replaced 3 metal parts.

The sails are definately are not the same as the plan because the corner reinforcing pieces have to be cut to match the changes in the sail profile.

When I Emailed technical support they said the kit has been manufactured for 30 years so I presume that changes have been made to cut costs.

One thing I have noticed is the small mainsail size compared to the hull length, for stability I suppose.

sailmaker

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:27:17 pm »

Hi Sailmaker, welcome to the ranks.  A bowline is a good knot for slippery cords and it comes undone when you want it to.  Just google bowline knot and you will find it.  Its a very satisfying knot to tie, just practice on a piece of string you carry around with you.
For any other knots, when you are happy with where the knot is tied a touch of cyano glue will hold it forever.
The sails on the Comptesse work fine and she sails well.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.