Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pilot Cutter  (Read 8820 times)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Pilot Cutter
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:45:35 pm »

Hi Folks,

I'm currently working on a 1/16 scale pilot cutter based on Kingston Mouldings excellent F/G hull of the 'Mascotte'.

Today I got the main standing rigging sorted and put up the sticks - dead chuffed!! Boy does she look big, 5' (1525mm) long x 5' 3" (1600mm) high.

Thought I'd share, hopefully attached are some pics.

longshanks

wideawake

Re: Pilot Cutter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:35 pm »

Hi Longshanks

Mascotte looks great.  As you say big enough to be seriously impressive!   I agree about the quality of Robin Whitmarsh's hulls.   I have a Mascotte and a Duncan myself under the bench waiting their turn to be built so will be very interested in any info you post about your build.

Cheers

Guy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:19:49 am »

Hi Longshanks

Sorry I won't be able to follow this build. It looks like you are hosting your pictures off site. I have trouble with seeing images on some sites like 'Imageshack', as some sites are not available in some parts of China  >>:-(
I say some parts, I think different provinces have different policies on internet.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:37 pm »

I can't open the images either, but tend to find its an issue related to Imageshack or MBM's website since I never have this problem with other forums or image websites.

I'm interested in building a pilot cutter for a winter project & wanted to ask who offers the better hull detail between Kingston or Waverley? 

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:05 pm »

Have a look at the Leigh Bawley thread http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12968.0 this is a Waverly semi kit. It may even be the same hull.

What do you mean by detail?
Planking/trenails?

Ref. Images, it is Imageshack. I did some research.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:27 pm »

Yes, am seeking anything but a baby bottom smooth hull. 

I heard from Robin Whitmarsh today & he advised his hull is devoid of any detail except freeing port positions etched on it.   Perhaps I'll be considering a planking one myself especially seeing what the S&H will come to.
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:43 pm »

Hi Guys ,

Sorry some of you cant see pics, will try again

Regards
lonshanks

ronkh

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:37:04 pm »

On picture p819542, what did you use to bind the rope together please? The black binding 3 off. (Sorry, do not know the name for them).

Ron.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:46:55 pm »

Lovely work, Longshanks!  :-))

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:08 pm »

Hi Ron,

Bit of a cheat I'm afraid. The shrouds are made from 1.6mm wire rope - tried to splice them - now cross eyed!
So.. I formed the loops and did a simple whipping with cotton (i.e. just wound the thread round and round). This I then soaked in thin super glue, certainly seems strong enough.. picked up 4" vice.

To cover it all up - black heat shrink from maplins, simples  :-)

ronkh

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:08:45 pm »

Where is the cheating? If it was not for a bit of ingenuity, where would all we be?!!?

Thank you for the answer.

Ron.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:46:12 am »

Can see the pics now thanks.

Great job. :-))

Brooks

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:43:11 pm »

Very nice!

One concern: the thumb on the mast holding the forestay looks scale, but will it stand up to the strain? If your standing rigging of wire was sized to the strain you expect, then perhaps the thumb should be metal, painted to look like wood (or is it already?).

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Brooks, I must admit I have no idea as to the stresses involved in the rigging - the wires are as close to scale as I can get. Forestay 2.5mm dia. Shrouds 1.6mm.

In answer to your kind query, The thumb has a metal pin through into the mast  :-)) I hope.

Brooks

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »

Figuring the force on the shrouds is pretty easy. I give an explanation and diagram in post#25 here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096365&page=2

I don't know how you'd do the calc for the forestay. With a Fore&Aft vessel the strain should be less than with a squarerigger since the F&A sails will just stream when head to wind, not go aback. Squareriggers often had doubled forestays; my topsail schooner does, but it's for looks, not for strength (as far as I know sans a calculation .... my barque has survived fine with a single forestay + single foretopgallant & single foreroyal).

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 07:02:57 am »

Great looking model you have there. I was lucky enough to go for a sail on the 1/1 scale Mascotte some years ago.  :-))
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:47 pm »

Did she get her bottom wet?  I'm certain I'm not the only one who would love to see more photos of this lovely build in her element.  :-))

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »

Sorry - slow progress this year...

Need to rebuild shed/boatyard. Work starts this week on a 50% increase in width plus additional roof height so that I can rig her inside!

Standing / running rigging all but complete. Researched the sails and now starting on making them.

Hoping for a spring launch

boboiseau

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »

Ronkh asked 'Where is the cheating? '

There can be no such thing as cheating because you are not trying to create the real thing, rather you are trying to create the illusion of the real vessel and if that works then you have succeeded.  Should you be using a GRP or carbon hull for a traditional wood vessel then surely that is well along the cheating road!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.