Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Clyde' Oscillator, formerly Cheddar 'Puffin'  (Read 23141 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: 'Clyde' Oscillator, formerly Cheddar 'Puffin'
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2009, 08:35:47 pm »

have you got a RC  Stearn valve for it to controle your speed ?

Peter

Underpressure

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2009, 10:10:00 pm »

I've just taken my JJC smoke generator and electric motor together with the ESC out of my launch, it is a great feeling, the launch looks a million times better with the boiler sat in it instead of batteries!!!, even her indoors reckons the spend is value for moeny, now that is support!! Also bought a TRV1A locally in kit form, unfortunately can't have it till christmas, never mind i got the boiler to play with. i bought the TVV1A kit from Miskin models near Llantrisant South Wales.

Oh that's coming together nicely.

You will need a throttle valve, to control the speed of the TVR1A. Polly Model Engineering do a nice simple little valve that won't break the bank.

I hadn't realised Miskin were so local. I'll have to drop in next time I'm working in Cardiff.

Neil

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2009, 09:58:00 am »

Andy, if it's properly put together, and it certainly looks like it is, then yes, it will easily turn a 55mm prop.

Ian, interesting what you say about the TVR1A, I keep looking at them as they are so well priced and wondering if they are up to the task, as all the youtube video's I have seen are engines being bench run.

I have sold three of the Gage twins from Graham Ind in recent weeks and all three people have got back to me to say they are really happy with them. Only one is in a boat so far but all have commented on how precisely the engines were made and how well they went together. They look small and delicate but remember they are a 1/2" bore by 5/8" stroke double acting twin so they should have good grunt. I have the single cylinder version in a 37"  open steam launch with a 6" x 3" boiler and that is pulling a 55mm 3 blade prop and I think it would pull an even bigger prop. In my opinion it is hard to put too big a prop behind a steam engine. With a small prop that lets them rev they gobble up lots of steam whereas they are much more economical lugging a big prop even if the pressure needs to be a bit higher. I would be starting with a 65mm 4 blade coarse pitch prop with the twin and thinking it might even need to go bigger.  Hope this helps, cheers, Ian.

wideawake

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2009, 10:14:01 am »

I hadn't realised Miskin were so local. I'll have to drop in next time I'm working in Cardiff.

Neil

Miskin Models (John Gittins) is based in The Model House in Llantrisant.   I stay in Llan with friends (now I've let my cottage in Cross Inn) when I work at the beeb in Llandaff and contacted Miskin Models via ebay with a view to collecting items rather than having them posted.   He seemed less than enthusiastic about this idea, seemingly concerned that what I was asking was to buy outside ebay (which I wasn't).   In the end I gave up and paid postage, which was very cheap anyway.

This is not a post critical of Miskin Models.  The items I bought are fine, email comm's were very quick and the postage charges are very reasonable.   It's just passing on a sense that they are a mail-order company and want to keep it that way.

Cheers

Guy

Underpressure

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:36 am »

Thanks for that Guy, maybe I'll just stick to mail order then!

Ian, I was advised a long time ago by Ian Holland at Cheddar Models to use the biggest prop I could fit on the boat. He also suggested Rivabo props as being good for steam models. I was using a very nice but rather expensive Prop Shop 3 blade at the time on a tug and the Rivabo both improved performance and running time.

I think I must get myself a TVR1A and have a little play.

Neil

Neil

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 10:08:52 am »

Has anyone thought of looking toward Australia for this engine?
It's called a Clyde, and engineered by Ministeam.com.au

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:35 am »

????????      have you read the title of this post or read the start of it, I think that answers your question.?  also a few other post on the subject of this coppied engine.

Peter

Steam Head

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 09:46:05 am »

Look at the third post on the first page of this thread, then here.
http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/prod56.htm
Can you see a difference? I didn't think so.
Sorry that I got the address wrong first off, then my wonderful mouse with side buttons posted for me.
S.H.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.